TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Other question: the train they were running was the Galloping Goose. I assume this is only operated during slow park days? It was super neat!

Yes knotts only runs steam on weekends during the off season.

Fun fact, the Galloping Goose at Knott's (#3) is the only one that has permanently left Colorado. All the others are still here in the state and the only one not original is #1. You have to appreciate Knott's is operating the goose for the reason it was built, to run service when a full size train isn't required. Case and point, slow weekdays during the off season.

^ I remember riding The Galloping Goose a few years' back, on a previous visit. What was neat about it, was "the robbery" was only in the one car, so the "robbers" really spent a good while acting with everybody in that car.

IMG_0830DM.JPG.eee66de1f91cfb618fe22db851016f27.JPG

Sept.06/19. Didn't ride it this visit, sadly.

IMG_0873.JPG.37bfb4e0758cf299c0a72ea9858884a7.JPG

Sept.08/19. The Big Guy, running a couple of days later.

Other question: the train they were running was the Galloping Goose. I assume this is only operated during slow park days? It was super neat!

Fun fact, the Galloping Goose at Knott's (#3) is the only one that has permanently left Colorado. All the others are still here in the state and the only one not original is #1. You have to appreciate Knott's is operating the goose for the reason it was built, to run service when a full size train isn't required. Case and point, slow weekdays during the off season.

I can say this Colorado would really like to have all the knotts stuff back lol.

you can watch this and see a lot of behind the scenes stuff with the railroad.

We used to go in October when our kids were on fall break. We rode in the cab area of the Galloping Goose quite a few times. The engineer would tell the kids stories and all about the Goose. Kids loved it!

Jim

Hello all. I will be going to KBF next Tuesday (11/26) for the first time in a decade (Hang Time, the spinning coasters, and the GhostRider re-profile are all new to me). I will be going with my wife and kids (my older daughter is tall enough for everything except for Silver Bullet, while my younger daughter is tall enough for everything except for Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, and Supreme Scream). My daughters have never been before. Our focus will definitely be on the thrill rides, but we won't be eschewing the milder options. My question: Does anyone have any advice on which rides to hit first, or any other pieces of strategic advice? Isitpacked.com says that crowds, while not low, should be "manageable". We want to maximize our riding time. I haven't been in so long, that I am clueless in regards to strategy. Thank you for any advice that you can give.

-Doug

Hello all. I will be going to KBF next Tuesday (11/26) for the first time in a decade (Hang Time, the spinning coasters, and the GhostRider re-profile are all new to me). I will be going with my wife and kids (my older daughter is tall enough for everything except for Silver Bullet, while my younger daughter is tall enough for everything except for Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, and Supreme Scream). My daughters have never been before. Our focus will definitely be on the thrill rides, but we won't be eschewing the milder options. My question: Does anyone have any advice on which rides to hit first, or any other pieces of strategic advice? Isitpacked.com says that crowds, while not low, should be "manageable". We want to maximize our riding time. I haven't been in so long, that I am clueless in regards to strategy. Thank you for any advice that you can give.

-Doug

My best advice for Knott's is to get there EARLY. Before opening. Sometimes they even let people in line for GhostRider before 10am. After GhostRider, head straight to the Boardwalk and do the rides back there. It usually takes an hour or two before crowds reach the back of the park.

Although like ^ said, it won't be too crowded that day. GhostRider can still develop a line though. Get there first!

I can say this Colorado would really like to have all the knotts stuff back lol.

you can watch this and see a lot of behind the scenes stuff with the railroad.

Honestly, as someone that lives in Colorado, they are doing a fine job. They've kept everything in it's paint scheme when it was in Colorado. Both Durango & Silverton, and Cumbres & Toltec have gotten rid the of former monikers and replaced it with their own stuff. Oh, and they actually run their Goose for the public at Knott's. As long as they keep it up, I'm fine with it. We have plenty of historic stuff here in the state still.

Highly recommend this video:

-Doug

Thrillseeker4552 covered most of it, but I would just add to ride GhostRider at night (particularly in the back) even if it has a sizable wait. It is one heck of a wild ride once it heats up.

Like others have said, get there about 30 minutes before opening (as they do open the gates early sometimes), hit Ghostrider first thing and then head back to the Boardwalk area for Xcelerator, Hangtime, & Coast Rider. The Log Ride always has a decent line but it moves quickly. Silver Bullet has the best capacity in the park, so you can ride it anytime. Iron Reef is closing in Jan and getting redone into Knott's Bear-y Tales, so you'll probably want to ride it (but I wouldn't wait longer than 30 minutes for it).

Edited by VegasBaby

Thanks for the advice. We'll definitely hit Ghostrider first, followed by the boardwalk. According to isitpacked and queue-times, the park is quite crowded today. If it's the same tomorrow, I'll just bite the bullet and get us all FastLanes. After all, I don't get to Knott's very often. Thanks again FireandBlood91, thrillseeker4552, Canobie Coaster, and VegasBaby.

Looks like Hangtime valleyed during a test run this morning.

https://www.knotts.com/explore/live-video

It looks like they're taking the train off now. Damn, I was planning on going today, but now I don't know....

i would guess as soon as they get the train off, they will probably test then open it with the other trains. but how long it's taking to get the train off, could be a while

I went yesterday in the afternoon. The park was pretty crowded. I hit GhostRider first and it had over an hour wait, but I used the single Rider line and waited only about 15 minutes (tons of groups using the SRL)

After that I went to Santa's Christmas Cabin (wilderness dance hall) and got a cookies and cream cookie shot with peppermint schnapps for $10. The liquor was good, but the cookie was kinda hard to eat.

Then i hit the log ride, it only had a 10 minute wait! (It was only 50° out! Go figure?) It was fun as always but it was weird that they made me, a 28 year old man by himself sit in a middle seat with a 7 year old boy by himself. Kinda uncomfortable having to keep my knees up to my shoulders the whole ride.

Then I walked around for a bit, Xcel and Hangtime were both on one train and had over an hour wait (Hangtime was just over two hours.)

Then it was back to the Christmas Cabin for a cup of mulled wine! Very tasty! And it's served with an orange slices and cinnamon stick.

After that I saw the 5:30 Snoopy on Ice show. It was the same as last year, and just as spectacular! Be forewarned: it's even colder in the theater than it is outside! Also the quiet parts can be a little awkward when a bunch of tiny humans sound like they're being murdered. And I'm pretty sure the kid next to me crapped his pants at one point.

After the show I caught the snow and Glow in Ghost town. It was packed shoulder to shoulder and for some reason the audio wasn't working, which took away from the experience. And at that point I was so cold I couldn't feel my feet anymore so I took off. Not a bad day at the park at all, but there are definitely things that can be improved upon. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures this time due to my hands being numb, but I'll try to get some when I go on Sunday.