TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Maybe now that the rehabbed version is pushing three years, they have to slightly increase the frequency of maintenance and track repairs. It is usually not closed on weekdays in May.

Kind of a bummer, but I will support anything that keeps the coaster fast and smooth for as long as possible. It is running like a dream right now.

I agree 100% with this. Knott's should do everything in their power to prevent GhostRider from tearing itself apart again. At least they gave you a heads up so you can plan around it.

It's also much more difficult to find open single-rider seats on trains with only two people per row. Sometimes you just get continuously unlucky. Rides with four per row burn through the SRL like crazy.

Exactly... which is why it's a total mystery to me why they haven't done this yet for Hangtime... where they even have a grouper on hand, and space to do it if it shared the Fastlane path (which is how CGA handles their SR for Railblazer). So many empty seats go by wasted on that, probably way more than Ghostrider gets. Same for Iron Reef.

I've seen some parks handle SRLs, by having gp be near the exit, and staff is there to notice and get them to seats, if single ones pop up. And I have seen ride ops direct single riders from the regular line, to please use the seat closest to the queue. Then, the single rider can be seated on their side, etc. Easy on paper, I know. But I did it with Twister in Grona Lund. Through their gift shop, too. And for Goliath in Walibi Holland, I seem to remember, as well.

Hi Knott's regulars, was hoping for some advice. Any idea how packed it might be on this Saturday? Would a fast lane be at all worth it (uhh, the park hasn't been running single train ops, has it)? And, any guess if Friday would be WAY emptier than Saturday? Chance I could Friday instead, but it would be for less of the day.

Hi Knott's regulars, was hoping for some advice. Any idea how packed it might be on this Saturday? Would a fast lane be at all worth it (uhh, the park hasn't been running single train ops, has it)? And, any guess if Friday would be WAY emptier than Saturday? Chance I could Friday instead, but it would be for less of the day.

Friday will be WAY less busy with everything pretty much being a walk-on, so I would definitely go on Friday if you can swing it. I would expect Saturday to be pretty busy, but the Boysenberry Festival is over so it won't be as packed as it was in April. Get there before opening because sometimes they open a few minutes early and go straight to Ghostrider. Ghostrider always has the longest line in the park, so get as many rides as you can before the line gets long. Then head to the back right corner of the park for Xcelerator and Hangtime.

^^ Xcelerator is on one-train ops right now, but a second train on that ride honestly doesn’t help much anyway.

Since it launches right out of the station, the ride ops have to wait for the train to clear the top hat before pulling the second train into the station. The second half of the ride is so short that by the time the second train stops in the station, the first train is already at the final brake run.

Everything else was running 2 trains last Sunday.

Friday will definitely be less crowded than Saturday, but just an FYI, Calico Mine Ride is scheduled to be down for maintenance now through Friday. Rides that are down for maintenance occasionally re-open sooner than expected, but just know that there’s a good possibility it won’t be open Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Xcelerator is on one-train ops right now, but a second train on that ride honestly doesn’t help much anyway.

Since it launches right out of the station, the ride ops have to wait for the train to clear the top hat before pulling the second train into the station. The second half of the ride is so short that by the time the second train stops in the station, the first train is already at the final brake run.

Everything else was running 2 trains last Sunday.

Friday will definitely be less crowded than Saturday, but just an FYI, Calico Mine Ride is scheduled to be down for maintenance now through Friday. Rides that are down for maintenance occasionally re-open sooner than expected, but just know that there’s a good possibility it won’t be open Friday.

Thanks! Yeah, I just saw that Calico was down, so Saturday it is! Taking a friend who's never been, can't go when the most Knott's Knott's ride is down!

Hello! In just about a week and a half, ill be visiting KBF for my first time and I'm ecstatic for it since I've wanted to visit since i was very little. I just had a few questions to ask so i can get the best experience possible while im there. What are some not to miss, but easily missed attractions that i should make sure i check out? What are the best places to eat? Are there any shows worth seeing? I'll be there for almost 3 full days, so I should be able to check most of the park out, but i just dont wan't to miss anything cool or worth checking out.

I'm at the park and there's no line for Ghost Rider. Both trains are running. Possibly all week.

You hit the lottery! I had that happen during Knott's Merry Farm and you can bet that's where I spent most of my time.

Hello! In just about a week and a half, ill be visiting KBF for my first time and I'm ecstatic for it since I've wanted to visit since i was very little. I just had a few questions to ask so i can get the best experience possible while im there. What are some not to miss, but easily missed attractions that i should make sure i check out? What are the best places to eat? Are there any shows worth seeing? I'll be there for almost 3 full days, so I should be able to check most of the park out, but i just dont wan't to miss anything cool or worth checking out.

Not so much at knotts but just down the street is Adventure City which is home of a pretty unique Gerstlauer shuttle coaster. If you're spending 3 days at knott's then i'm sure you're not going to miss anything lol.

Three days is PLENTY of time for Knott's. Many of the coasters (GhostRider, Xcelerator, HangTime) have atrocious throughput, so this will give you plenty of time to experience and re-ride all of the coasters.

Aside from the obvious ones like the major coasters, the two can't-miss attractions in the park are the Timber Mountain Log Ride and the Calico Mine Ride. Both are very historic rides in the park that are living their best lives after their respective refurbishments a few years ago.

As for food, my personal favorite is the new BBQ place near Sky Cabin. I have tried all of the entrees and sides and like them all. The grill near Calico River Rapids (I forget its name!) also has excellent burgers and chicken sandwiches. Yeah, typical theme park food, but these burgers are different - at least in my opinion.

I'm not very big on shows. The Charles M Schulz theater always has shows going on, but I rarely watch them so maybe someone else can chime in for this one.

A few additional random tips:

1) Try to do GhostRider in both the front and back. I like them both equally, and they're both great. The back is better in the first half, and the front is better in the second half. There is a single rider line, but it isn't open all the time. There is a sign in the outside portion of the queue that states if it's open or not. It can save you tons of time.

2) The front seat is my favorite seat on Xcelerator, but keep in mind that the front car has its own line that splits at the bottom of the ramp, so it is often full and moves very slowly. Back seat is also fantastic, but the front seat on that launch is incredible.

3) Montezooma's Revenge in the back seat. That's all. There's nothing else like it in the country.

4) Get to the park at opening on at least one of your days and head straight to GhostRider. Then head to the back of the park for Xcelerator and HangTime (the Boardwalk is empty the first hour or two of operations), then do the rest in any order you'd like. The park isn't very big and it is very easy to navigate and walk from one end to the other.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to check the scheduled ride closures on the park website. GhostRider is closed Mon-Fri every week in May, in addition to a few others scattered throughout.

Check out Ghost Town. Many little details there that are easy to miss. We seem to find something new each time we go. The park has all sorts of things that you'll miss if you rush from ride to ride. So take your time!

I'll be there for almost 3 full days, so I should be able to check most of the park out, but i just dont wan't to miss anything cool or worth checking out.

I REALLY love Knott's but 3 days? You know Disneyland is like 10 minutes away right?

^ I was gonna suggest that or even SFMM but I didn't what what his budget looked like. I've never stayed at Knott's a full day and I felt I got the full experience, personally lol.

If you're going all the way from Kansas to California and you're not going to Disneyland, you're doing it wrong.

Knott's is a lot of fun though. Ghost Town is great, lots of fun shops. The cave in Camp Snoopy is cool. Don't miss any opportunity for boysenberry anything, especially the pie.

The entire place was built off the chicken dinner restaurant... so gotta eat there. Kind of a must. Also, Mystery Lodge is a surprisingly thoghtful show for a theme park. I do recommend it.

Edited by ryder

I would highly recommend not skipping Sierra Sidewinder - it's easy to dismiss as just a simple spinner, but it remains my favorite spinner I've ever been on.

and the location can't be beat - among the massive mish-mash of track in the middle of Silver Bullet, Montezooma's Revenge, and Jaguar.