TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Quick question - has Knott's ever officially disclosed why Xcelerator is down, and if so, where? I know someone that has said it's down due to a programming error. However, seemingly every other relevant source and account I've seen contradicts that, they all say a part of the launch broke, and a new part is shipping. I googled it to see if I could find an official statement, and I couldn't find one. Have they made a statement specifying that it's due to mechanical reasons or is that just a guess?

I know someone that has said it's down due to a programming error.

Yeah, they deleted System 32. System Restore takes forever plus then you have all those Windows Updates and boom... 6 months.

As you can see in the picture you commented on...

ncERggW.jpg

...these 3 guys from Tech support are also rolling out a huge roll of ethernet cable (seen on the left). The guy on the platform on the right is most likely plugging the router back in after it was unplugged for 2 minutes and the guys in the middle are resetting the modem.

It's really quite the operation...

Yeah, they deleted System 32. System Restore takes forever plus then you have all those Windows Updates and boom... 6 months.

ncERggW.jpg

...these 3 guys from Tech support are also rolling out a huge roll of ethernet cable (seen on the left). The guy on the platform on the right is most likely plugging the router back in after it was unplugged for 2 minutes and the guys in the middle are resetting the modem.

Thanks, I needed that laugh.

I hope this activity means it'll be back up and running soon. I'm visiting the park on the 21st, and being able to ride Xcelerator would be a pleasant surprise.

ncERggW.jpg

If it was only that easy!

Quick question - has Knott's ever officially disclosed why Xcelerator is down, and if so, where? I know someone that has said it's down due to a programming error. However, seemingly every other relevant source and account I've seen contradicts that, they all say a part of the launch broke, and a new part is shipping. I googled it to see if I could find an official statement, and I couldn't find one. Have they made a statement specifying that it's due to mechanical reasons or is that just a guess?

Knott's has not announced why Xcelerator was down, but I know that a couple of us have heard from ride attendants and maybe a Dippin Dots person that the catch car/launch sled had broken and needed to be custom manufactured, shipped here and replaced. The work in the station appears to reinforce that theory. I was told they were hoping for March re-opening date, but I don't know when in the month.

ncERggW.jpg

This 100% confirms it’s the catch car that broke. Look at the size of the crate and that shiny new catch car already installed. Hopefully Knott’s took the last 6 months to make sure everything else running super smooth and get ahead on maintance.

ncERggW.jpg

This 100% confirms it’s the catch car that broke. Look at the size of the crate and that shiny new catch car already installed. Hopefully Knott’s took the last 6 months to make sure everything else running super smooth and get ahead on maintance.

Aww so you mean MiceChat was full of shit and they're not changing the system to LSMs???

Just kidding, glad I could help confirm this. I saw the guys working there and thought "Hey, this seems important" and snapped a pic for you all.

Once Knott's has HangTime, Xcelerator, Montezooma, and GhostRider all operating at the same time, it could easily be my favorite 4-coaster-line-up in California!

After watching two trains run on Hangtime, I just came up with a rough maximum capacity of 640 people per hour. Station dispatch, lift to drop is approx 40 seconds. The rest of the ride is approx 30 seconds. Then it appears to take approx 20 seconds of brake run travel before next train can dispatch. If they can keep up with a 90-second dispatch cycle, we have: 60 min x 60 sec. = 3600 seconds per hour / 90 seconds per dispatch = 40 dispatches per hour @ 16 people per train = 640 people per hour. If the dispatch time falls to 2 minutes, the capacity falls to 30 dispatches per hour @ 16 people = 480 people per hour.

After watching two trains run on Hangtime, I just came up with a rough maximum capacity of 640 people per hour. Station dispatch, lift to drop is approx 40 seconds. The rest of the ride is approx 30 seconds. Then it appears to take approx 20 seconds of brake run travel before next train can dispatch. If they can keep up with a 90-second dispatch cycle, we have: 60 min x 60 sec. = 3600 seconds per hour / 90 seconds per dispatch = 40 dispatches per hour @ 16 people per train = 640 people per hour. If the dispatch time falls to 2 minutes, the capacity falls to 30 dispatches per hour @ 16 people = 480 people per hour.

Even though that seems low, compared to most other coasters in the park, that’s actually not half bad. Thanks for doing the math!