TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Classification is overrated. As long as you’re having fun who cares?

I agree wholeheartedly.

BUT for those of you that do like to keep score, generally an inversion is any maneuver where the track is rolled or banked more than 135 degrees. Above 135 degrees, your head is pointed more downward than it is toward the side.

With all the talk of the Overbank/Cutback.... can someone please tell me what this one is classified as?

Sketch.thumb.png.6eaf53ba19e38dbe1d1a0a161682f88e.png

It's kind of goofy and I love it. It's like a corkscrew that got stretched vertically... could be a new kind of sensation while riding

With all the talk of the Overbank/Cutback.... can someone please tell me what this one is classified as?

[attachment=0]Sketch.png[/attachment]

It's kind of goofy and I love it. It's like a corkscrew that got stretched vertically... could be a new kind of sensation while riding

It actually got stretched horizontally, but I know what you mean. I do like the idea of a "not quite vertical, not quite corkscrew" inversion.

I went to the park today and got an update on Xcelerator. It was the catch-car that broke and they ordered a new one that is being custom manufactured for the ride, so it takes awhile. I was told the catch-car is expected to arrive at Knott's by the end of February and they hope to re-open the ride in March if everything goes well.

Even though SOL Spin was running, I saw it break down and maintenance come out at least three times while I got stuck once on it. Someone told me that lately, it has been breaking down about every half-hour. I wonder how long Knott's will put up with it.

Ghostrider had the longest line in the park at approx 15 minutes. Since I had Boardwalk BBQ for the 6th time this year, I decided not to post any more photos of it.

IMG_20180209_103311.thumb.jpg.2d1e84ed6f07de5ed1e61911b703db9f.jpg

I was told the wood structure is a queue house.

IMG_20180209_103450.thumb.jpg.0612801834b3801c3e522e9ef17dfbbd.jpg

Queue house

IMG_20180209_105259.thumb.jpg.06bb62a92d1856a6b486b9d7d12dd63f.jpg

Station

I’m pretty sure that wooden structure is going to be the exit building/gift shop. The queue is going to wind back and forth in the middle of the ride with canopy covers, according to the guy at the announcement. Thanks for the update!

You're welcome and luckily I got my Hangtime queue house info from a different employee than the Xcelerator info, so I hope Xcelerator opening soon is still correct. I don't mind being wrong about a queue house, but I need Xcel back.

I honestly can't believe that it takes more than 6 months to machine the steel for a new catch car. That's absurd. Intamin built this ride, it's not like they have to reverse engineer someone else's design first. They just need to make another copy of the thing they already made.

Gerstlaur fabricated and fully installed the track for a brand new ride in less time that it has taken Intamin to fabricate one part. If I were on the KBF executive staff, I'd be livid. It's one of the marquee attractions of the park and it missed half of summer, all of Haunt, and all of Christmas.

I'd be really curious to know if there's some kind of extended service agreement in the original contract for the ride, and what the terms are. Obviously, the terms were better for one than the other.

I’m sure they’ll get it open in time for summer crowds, hopefully early enough for spring break crowds.

I mean, there has to be more to the story than we know; obviously the park wouldn’t keep one of their most popular coasters closed down this long if they had an option. I can’t get mad at them, it’s just frustrating for all of us.

Right now, the park is basically SBNO farm with Xcelerator, Sky Cabin, and HangTime (obviously) not operating along with Sol Spin barely running, plus more ride closure in the next few weeks for annual rehab including Jaguar, Pony, and Monte. Good news is that the Log Ride should be opening back up this weekend!

I went to the park today and got an update on Xcelerator. It was the catch-car that broke and they ordered a new one that is being custom manufactured for the ride, so it takes awhile. I was told the catch-car is expected to arrive at Knott's by the end of February and they hope to re-open the ride in March if everything goes well.

Even though SOL Spin was running, I saw it break down and maintenance come out at least three times while I got stuck once on it. Someone told me that lately, it has been breaking down about every half-hour. I wonder how long Knott's will put up with it.

Ghostrider had the longest line in the park at approx 15 minutes. Since I had Boardwalk BBQ for the 6th time this year, I decided not to post any more photos of it.

i drove by earlier and was surprised how many cars were in the parking lot. hope xcelerator opens up while there is still some ghosttown days.

I said this before, but since it appears they're going to reopen it eventually i'm surprised they didn't take this opportunity to repaint the dang thing. It's so faded it looks horrible. At least then there could have been some visible progress on it cosmetically. Most people would assume it's down for a general rehab/repaint and none the wiser.

I honestly can't believe that it takes more than 6 months to machine the steel for a new catch car. That's absurd. Intamin built this ride, it's not like they have to reverse engineer someone else's design first. They just need to make another copy of the thing they already made.

Gerstlaur fabricated and fully installed the track for a brand new ride in less time that it has taken Intamin to fabricate one part. If I were on the KBF executive staff, I'd be livid. It's one of the marquee attractions of the park and it missed half of summer, all of Haunt, and all of Christmas.

I'd be really curious to know if there's some kind of extended service agreement in the original contract for the ride, and what the terms are. Obviously, the terms were better for one than the other.

When the cable snapped on Xcelerator several years ago, the shipping part of sending the replacement cable by land/sea from Europe took almost three months. It could easily take another three to four months to build the catch-car because you probably don't just have idle machines or workers waiting for an order, or perhaps they had to subcontract parts and wait on parts for final car assembly. It's a major bummer that it is taking this long to get such a great attraction working again and hopefully we can ride again soon.

I’m pretty sure that wooden structure is going to be the exit building/gift shop. The queue is going to wind back and forth in the middle of the ride with canopy covers, according to the guy at the announcement. Thanks for the update!

We still don't know exactly where the queue will begin. The renderings seem pretty vague on that. Maybe it begins at that building before continuing out under the ride. Could be the exit to. It's hard to tell but it looks pretty big too just be a photo booth/gift shop. Plus I don't see them having that big a gift shop. We'll see.

We still don't know exactly where the queue will begin. The renderings seem pretty vague on that. Maybe it begins at that building before continuing out under the ride. Could be the exit to. It's hard to tell but it looks pretty big too just be a photo booth/gift shop. Plus I don't see them having that big a gift shop. We'll see.

Looks like the quene will start directly under the double down according to this rendering.

HangTime-Knotts-Berry-Farm-Concept-003.jpg.3dd4a7a94a218404ef131e27eea034e2.jpg

The google page for Xcelerator now says permanently closed. Oh no.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Knott's website still lists Xcelerator as TBD. We've heard from a few sources that they are waiting on parts, so at some point it will re-open.

The google page for Xcelerator now says permanently closed. Oh no.

Google has a history of falsely showing businesses/attractions as "permanently closed." I don't think they have options for situations like temporarily closed or closed for the season. That's happened to Enchanted Forest, an operating park, more than once in its off-season. It's happened with Lightning Rod, too.

Is there a reason Knott's can get their Sky Cabin up and going but for some reason Magic Mountain has an issue with their Sky Tower up and running?

From what I've heard it's a California thing but Knott's seems to get it together with them, and considering the Sky Cabin is a much bigger, more intricate kind of system I feel like Six Flags could get a simple Intamin elevator type attraction going. Especially considering Intamin is still around and should be able to manufacture anything Magic Mountain needs.

Is this really more of a Six Flags not wanting to spend the money type of thing, or is it a whole different kind of issue? So odd to me.

And also, Xcelerator being down for so long is such a bummer, I hope they figure that thing out. Is Kingda Ka down too? I know this is the Knott's thread but all of these things seems connected by Intamin so it's just a weird coincidence.