TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Is Xcelerator open now? Where do you view ride closures on this new updated website?

Go to view park hours then scroll down page. It's a link on this section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lawsuit filed over injury to young boy on Knott's Berry Farm log ride"

www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-knotts-berry-farm-lawsuit-20170829-story.html

Has there ever been cases like this on other log rides? I don't see people suing Disneyland even though they could get more money out of them. Personally, I'm not buying the water level aspect. But I'm not an expert.

On a secondary note, what are the chances major changes are made to this attraction in light of so many lawsuits? Maybe they could renovate Log Ride into a water coaster of sorts, aquatrax style. Keep the exact same layout and even the slow dark ride parts. Personally, I like Timber Mountain Log Ride and don't want to see it go. But I wouldn't be against an idea like this if they were forced to remove it.

BTW, I am so stoked about HangTime. I was hoping for an Intamin but this is just as exciting. I'm just glad it's not a another shuttle coaster. I can't wait for 2020 when we make our next trip down to California. We'll have to make a stop at CGA too while we are at it. We very rarely hit two parks in one trip, but I think Railblazer more than justifies it.

This article seems very biased based on the wording, particularly when it opens with the statement "A log ride at Knotts Berry Farm has been poorly maintained.." The fact that they waited until the end of that statement to say said statement is "according to a lawsuit..." makes the tone of the article more harsh and dramatic than what I think the facts laid out in the article call for. It seems like this journalist is jumping the gun honestly.

I'm pretty stoked to see Special Ops: Infected returning to Knott's Scary Farm. Last years version was the best incarnation yet. Previous years saw not so great operations that caused huge lines and delays, including for those with reservations and fight lane. Thankfully, they've smoothed most of that process out along with the story line. Anyone else feel the same?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The big announcement event is tomorrow, and I'm getting super excited for the new haunt hotness!

This article seems very biased based on the wording, particularly when it opens with the statement "A log ride at Knotts Berry Farm has been poorly maintained.." The fact that they waited until the end of that statement to say said statement is "according to a lawsuit..." makes the tone of the article more harsh and dramatic than what I think the facts laid out in the article call for. It seems like this journalist is jumping the gun honestly.

Yeah the journalist was definitely grasping at straws, the real lawsuit should be Knott's against the journalist spewing unsubstantiated "facts".

I thought the same thing about the poorly maintained.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that the TMLR was "poorly maintained." Now there may be a valid issue if a water level sensor was not working correctly and there was not enough water at the bottom of the drop. However, I still don't know how that would cause you to slam your face into the seat in front of you if you are seated properly. I just hope that this doesn't prompt CA to require seat belts or something stupid like that on log rides.

Edited by VegasBaby

Yes, when a boat is rolling on wheels down a hill and lands in a pool of water it will slow down abruptly. No sh*t.

I hate this country.

Has there ever been cases like this on other log rides?

Stanley Falls at Busch Gardens Tampa has a recording that plays all the way up the lift telling people to brace for a sudden slowdown at the bottom of the hill. I'd imagine this is because someone somewhere decided to be an a**hole and sue a park over their own stupidity.

People should have to sign waivers while at a park that stating that park is not responsible if someone gets hurt

It's printed on the back of your ticket. But I have seen some smaller parks have waivers.

That would likely never hold up in court. While rare, it is sometimes it is the park's fault. Xcelerator cable, the Columbia at Disneyland, Smiler at Alton Towers...

There is a difference between faulty equipment malfunctions and getting banged around. Waivers cover the park in cases of whiplash. Heart attacks. Things like that.

did a lap around Knott's today since I hadn't been in a while. figured it would be dead. more cars in the parking lot than i thought there would be. ghostrider was sending half empty trains. but 2 train operation. it also feels pretty much just as smooth to me when it reopened. silver bullet only had one train and was never full. rode those two then walked over to see the construction. not much different than when socaljasonland went last week. planters around the trees near coast rider are up now. the other side is still just dirt. coast rider was just sending empty trains. no one riding.

IMG_0934.thumb.JPG.4ae0e0dbbf90f14af46e649fa6c81977.JPG

no wait for ghostrider

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.9616e235085a3550ef56821e87375f8b.JPG

no wait for silver bullet

IMG_0936.thumb.JPG.741c53e5e5595853bd0e64f602f0dd18.JPG

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.e48aa2d0f538895ae581539bbcdc3948.JPG

IMG_0938.thumb.JPG.23598f770e1d3f6bd16660e5ddc52006.JPG

planters have risen

IMG_0940.thumb.JPG.485d32478e8cdaf3fc3f946e00bca3b0.JPG

dirt and a bobcat

IMG_0947.thumb.PNG.994cd4644694d00c5863fb54912e4744.PNG

some guy trying to get a screen shot of the webcam by a yellow bench.

I feel bad for Knott's on this stuff. Literally every small problem at the park ends up in the press. It can give an impression that they don't take care of their attractions. We had family friend who worked security at Disneyland for years and he told us accidents happen all the time there, but the park covers most of them up. Only the worst accidents at Disneyland end up in the press.

Stanley Falls at Busch Gardens Tampa has a recording that plays all the way up the lift telling people to brace for a sudden slowdown at the bottom of the hill. I'd imagine this is because someone somewhere decided to be an a**hole and sue a park over their own stupidity.

I think I found that guy!

^This must be the most logical answer, because the park wouldn't just keep one of their most popular attractions down because they can... it must be a pretty serious/big reason.

The ride ran daily from last October all the way through June with two trains almost every day. I can't even recall the last time the ride as done that, so it must have taken a toll on the ride's system in some way shape or form. I'm sure it'll open up sooner rather than later.

Was able to get to Knott's this past Tuesday for a visit. Hadn't done the new Ghostrider yet so I was super excited for it. And it definitely did NOT disappoint. It's now right back up there with it being one of my top 10 favorite wooden coasters ever. Welcome back Ghostrider!

Unfortunately didn't know about Monte and Xcelerator being closed so I was sad about that on my visit. But then Silver Bullet was closed too?!? Man, couldn't get a break that day. Had a lot of fun nonetheless as the park was completely empty. Most attractions were running multiple trains but Jaguar and Sierra Sidewinder were running one of the two trains empty all day. Not sure what the purpose was. Seems like wear and tear on cars that aren't even holding customers. Anyone know the reason for this?

Also it has been a while but did they add a weird "shin bar" on Coast Rider? I barely fit on that ride now, and it was because I'm tall. That was never a problem when I first rode that ride. Was it to fit smaller/younger guest? Completely unnecessary and PAINFUL

I actually braved the park today (it got to 104 degrees), and the park was, no pun intended, a ghost town. Everything was a walk on, and most rides were sending out empty trains or half empty trains. Sol Spin was running with 2 people on it. Log Ride was a walk on. Iron Reef was cycling tons of empty trains. I got on almost every literal ride (minus Camp Snoopy) in the park in just under 3 hours, including the flats. Although obviously Xcelerator and Montezuma are still down.

Even Ghostrider, notorious for having an hour + lines when all else is 15 minutes or less, was only a 2-3 train wait (at least it was in the early morning). And I wanted to send a shout out to their crew... even with low crowds, they were still running two trains, and were often having one cleared as the second one returned, with very little stacking. It was the best ops I've seen on it in a while. Kudos to them, who often get a lot of heat here.

^^ The shin restraints were added a few months ago. Apparently in 2014 some kid thought the the ride was over even though it was still rolling into the station, and he stuck his foot out of the car and it got caught and jammed between the train and the platform. Why Knott's waited three more years before adding the shin restraints is anybody's guess..