TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

And when I say keep the midcourse, I mean only for block purposes like when the ride originally opened and not as a trim in the middle of the ride like it was used for later down the road.

Modern safety rules do not allow for this to occur. The actual reason block brakes slow every train that comes through is not to actually slow down the train but instead to verify that the brake is still functioning. Basically the block trimming the ride is just a side effect of verifying functionality.

And when I say keep the midcourse, I mean only for block purposes like when the ride originally opened and not as a trim in the middle of the ride like it was used for later down the road.

Modern safety rules do not allow for this to occur. The actual reason block brakes slow every train that comes through is not to actually slow down the train but instead to verify that the brake is still functioning. Basically the block trimming the ride is just a side effect of verifying functionality.

And what is your source? Several rides beg to differ (New Texas Giant, Voyage during opening year, and GhostRider itself used to as well.) A midcourse does not have to trim a train at all, it's purpose is to serve as a block incase the block in front is not clear. The brakes do not need to go off every cycle to verify that they are operating properly, the computer handles all of that. The blocks are tested every morning before opening with block checks as well.

Yeah they run soooooo slow. They seem to be enjoying each other's company, tho. There is one girl there who's a little older than the others who seems get them running quicker when she's around. But when she's not....just wow. The part of the line that goes thru the bottom of the building is a hot, humid nightmare.

Yes! This part of the q-line was miserable. At one point, an attendant came to the bottom of the stairs and was only letting a few people to the top level at a time. I came to the platform only to see the crew stacking every train and filling half of each train with exit passes.

I'm calling bull on that. Pandemonium at SFSTL allows cars to go unbraked through each block. The brakes go through a brake check every couple of hours to verify that they work by cycling the brake after a car has passed.

I guess I should clarify my understanding is that is a Cedar Fair rule.

If they wanted to, I imagine they could install more proxy sensors along the track and have the lift motor speed/slow down accordingly so the train doesn't actually leave the lift until the other train is back.

What SFMM tried to do on TC to race lol But of course that is SF, I know Knotts would do it correctly, or anyone else for that matter.

Except they don't. And for that matter, the operations on TC blow away any ride at Knotts.

I guess I should clarify my understanding is that is a Cedar Fair rule.

I highly doubt that. GhostRider ran for like 10 years with the midcourse not hitting at all and it is at a Cedar Fair park. The trains would fly through the brakes into the OMFG drop. Then the ride started getting too rough and Knott's adjusted the midcourse to completely stop each train for less wear and tear on the 2nd half of the ride.

I mean to add further, the brakes on a block close by default if the block ahead is occupied. Once the block ahead clears, the brakes on a block will open and allow a train to flow through. It's very distinct on B&Ms, once a train clears the midcourse you can hear the brakes shut closed. Then when that train passes through the next block, the brakes open again. If the midcourse trims the train at all is another story.

Hey Guys,

I found a totally legit leak for Knott's Berry Farm's 2018 Coaster. It looks like Ghostrider's crew will be moving over to this new attraction, so it will therefore will be named.... The Stackin' Kraken!! The world's first B&M Dive Coaster where the ride will go down every 20 minutes to replace the wheels, as they'll develop flat spots sitting so long on the break run for the crew to get their act together and send the train out. Still more reliable than Lightning Rod!! Here's the logo!! Thoughts?!

1128090263_ScreenShot2017-08-07at10_45_57PM.png.4ae605151ed870199eff7e64de2e736e.png

Hey Guys,

I found a totally legit leak for Knott's Berry Farm's 2018 Coaster. It looks like Ghostrider's crew will be moving over to this new attraction, so it will therefore will be named.... The Stackin' Kraken!! The world's first B&M Dive Coaster where the ride will go down every 20 minutes to replace the wheels, as they'll develop flat spots sitting so long on the break run for the crew to get their act together and send the train out. Still more reliable than Lightning Rod!! Here's the logo!! Thoughts?!

LMAO

Ghostrider operations are a travesty and I'm shocked Cedar Fair would operate one of their parks this way.

It really is a shame since the retracked GhostRider kicks some serious ass and the Knott's operations are generally pretty good on the other rides. I'm going to try and hit the park mid-week in October (it's usually completely dead during the day at that time of year) just so I can get a bunch of GR rides in without the ridiculous wait times.

Hey Guys,

HAHAHAH you just made my day! That was awesome. I pray this is the actual ride for 2018.

Went to Knott's yesterday, had an overall very good day with only a couple downsides. I knew Xcelerator was closed coming in, so that wasn't a surprise, but I never expected Ghostrider ops to be this bad. I heard other people saying that they were slow on this thread, but I never could have expected the hour and a half wait that was barely halfway through the downstairs queue. Once I was up to the station levels I timed several dispatches out which were averaging 286 riders per hour (Just over 5 min dispatches). The new Boardwalk Barbecue is really nice, though the inside is a little barren decoration wise. No progress on the construction site for 2018, still just piles of dirt. I also got to try out Sol Spin's new ride cycle in one of the outside seats and it really does make a massive difference where you sit on this ride. While still not as intense as at some fairs, this ride is definitely one of the top three flat rides in the park on the outside seats. Also, they have this yellow device on Xcelerator's station track that I was able to get a look at from the exit ramp, as well as having the launch cable detached.

IMG_5273.thumb.JPG.4c48d3c47857054bdaa32f8afa01f016.JPG

Anyone know what this is?

There's obviously something mechanically wrong with Xcelerator because Knott's wouldn't close it down in the middle of summer for routine maintenance. Maybe the cable snapped again or they are waiting on some parts from Intamin. It's just strange that it has taken them so long to fix. I think it's been down for at least 3 weeks now with no opening date in sight. I would expect something like this from SFMM, but not at Knott's.

Went to Knott's yesterday, had an overall very good day with only a couple downsides. I knew Xcelerator was closed coming in, so that wasn't a surprise, but I never expected Ghostrider ops to be this bad. I heard other people saying that they were slow on this thread, but I never could have expected the hour and a half wait that was barely halfway through the downstairs queue. Once I was up to the station levels I timed several dispatches out which were averaging 286 riders per hour (Just over 5 min dispatches). The new Boardwalk Barbecue is really nice, though the inside is a little barren decoration wise. No progress on the construction site for 2018, still just piles of dirt. I also got to try out Sol Spin's new ride cycle in one of the outside seats and it really does make a massive difference where you sit on this ride. While still not as intense as at some fairs, this ride is definitely one of the top three flat rides in the park on the outside seats. Also, they have this yellow device on Xcelerator's station track that I was able to get a look at from the exit ramp, as well as having the launch cable detached.

Lol either Knott's hasn't realized that 4 million people a year step inside the park or they want to make GhostRider so exclusive that only a handful of people get to ride it each year.

Also, they have this yellow device on Xcelerator's station track that I was able to get a look at from the exit ramp, as well as having the launch cable detached.

That’s used to lift the catch car out of its trough and to lower it back in.

IMG_0065.JPG.31fc98863429f15d41790a21eeb0a273.JPG

Ride systems are designed with the default position of all brakes to be closed. They only open when necessary, which usually means the block ahead is clear and the train approaching hits a certain sensor before they will open. Brakes won't open under any other conditions short of a extremely rare catastrophic failure. Using them as trims or completely opening them up has nothing to do with checking that they work---there are already sensors that will ensure the brakes have the right air pressure and are in the right position.

If they wanted to, I imagine they could install more proxy sensors along the track and have the lift motor speed/slow down accordingly so the train doesn't actually leave the lift until the other train is back.

What SFMM tried to do on TC to race lol But of course that is SF, I know Knotts would do it correctly, or anyone else for that matter.

It's fun to laugh at SFMM's operations but they usually do a pretty good job here. The crew is always hustling to try and race the trains, ultimately it's out of their hands most of the time, if just one or two guests isnt ready or has loose items that need to be moved or a restraint that needs to be checked then it throws off the timing. I've never seen the crew not hustling though, which is definitely unusual for SFMM. The Twisted Colossus and X2 crews are always where their best ops are, the rest of the park not so much.

I feel bad for those that haven't experienced TC racing....ive ridden it 20 tines probably and I'd say it's raced....wait I can only remember 1 time I got burned on a race for both laps...probably raced both laps 60 percent of the time...guess I'm just lucky

What SFMM tried to do on TC to race lol But of course that is SF, I know Knotts would do it correctly, or anyone else for that matter. It's fun to laugh at SFMM's operations but they usually do a pretty good job here. The crew is always hustling to try and race the trains, ultimately it's out of their hands most of the time, if just one or two guests isnt ready or has loose items that need to be moved or a restraint that needs to be checked then it throws off the timing. I've never seen the crew not hustling though, which is definitely unusual for SFMM. The Twisted Colossus and X2 crews are always where their best ops are, the rest of the park not so much.

I totally agree with this, the TC crew is doing everything they can to make sure the trains race. On my visit last month, the control panel op was doing a countdown (30 seconds, to race, 15 seconds to race, etc). The only reason you don't get a race every time is that people are too slow to put away their crap or somebody doesn't fit in the restraint and it has to be double checked.

I feel bad for those that haven't experienced TC racing....ive ridden it 20 tines probably and I'd say it's raced....wait I can only remember 1 time I got burned on a race for both laps...probably raced both laps 60 percent of the time...guess I'm just lucky

They say, 60% of the time, it races every time.

you're a unicorn! haha i've never seen it duel even 20% of the time. but i also probably have a different opinion of when it's actually close enough to call it a duel. a train that isn't even touching the next one isn't a duel to me. since basically there's no interaction. it's just close. which, it is probably 60% of the time, i'll agree that that is possible. i don't know how many times i've ridden, but i have like 2 dual, duels. i may have 20% a single duel. just guessing but it's not that much. many close calls though. sometimes it looks to be perfect, then that blue side does that hesitation at the top and screws it all up.

i savor those WCB and media shoot duels that i've gotten to experience.

btw, crossing my fingers for something decent at KBF since i'm so close to it.

you're a unicorn! haha i've never seen it duel even 20% of the time.

Really? That sucks! I've ridden it at least 80 times, and I can only think of a handful of occasions where it didn't duel at least once. As of late, I've noticed a bit of an uptick in close calls on the lift hill, but that's almost always because of riders goofing around and the crew resigning themselves to the fact that there's little they can do to fix the issue. I haven't been to Knotts this year (my pass expired), but I visited a lot last year and saw far more apathetic employees than I do at SFMM these days. I always found the Xcelerator crew to be pretty enthused though, which I always assumed had something to do with getting to watch riders freak out prior to the launch.