TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Looks like Knott's has added a ride closure schedule to the bottom of the hours of operation page. The nice thing is that they are now listing future ride closures, which is great for trip planning. Here's the current listing of ride closures:

Sky Cabin

Now - TBD

Calico Mine Ride

Now - 6/2

Sierra Sidewinder

8/28 - 9/1

GhostRider

9/5 - 9/21

Dude the station platform which once had an opening where the track for Boomerang ran through now has new concrete covering that opening..

They did no such a thing. The opening is clearly still there...

KBFBoomdeconstruct201762.jpg.93d7857ecc51e3761e14206add086a3e.jpg

The support columns under Boom look different.

It was the lighting and shadows...

Since it's the weekend and we won't see any work until Monday, let us speculate about the trench directly in front of the station foundation.

Clearly that's where the aqua goes, right underneath the trax. Dippin dots guy said so.

For those who have visited the "new" Soak City, are there all-day lockers available to put my stuff? I know Knott's has them, but I couldn't find anything about Soak City (I'm assuming they do, but I hate working off assumptions). I'm thinking of doing a solo trip up there tomorrow, and I obviously want a safe space to store my stuff. Thanks.

Wait, people think Knott's is going (or was going) to remove Sky Cabin?

The Cal-OSHA report still isn't public from the last breakdown and if Knott's can't make any required corrections or re-open it; I see them demolishing it over leaving the tower SBNO. How do they get the cabin down sooner if the ride breaks down again? Windseeker had to go after the second extended breakdown so Sky Cabin could too. It is a nice ride to take pictures from if the plexiglass wasn't all scratched up by the delinquents.

:lol: I hope they remove it just so everyone shuts up about the big "K".

No. That's when people come out of the woodwork to whine and riot in the streets about how iconic it was and that it was always their favorite attraction and how they will never visit the park again until they bring it back.

679992.gif.09e6ebe288047e74c531f0c5efed0826.gif

:lol: I hope they remove it just so everyone shuts up about the big "K".

No. That's when people come out of the woodwork to whine and riot in the streets about how iconic it was and that it was always their favorite attraction and how they will never visit the park again until they bring it back.

[attachment=0]679992.gif[/attachment]

I FINALLY made it to the park (as well as Soak City) after being piled up in work the last few weekends. I don't have any photos worth sharing, but I thought I'd mention a few things.

A few notes on Knott's itself:

Sol Spin was operating quite well all day today, and I did not witness a single hiccup or breakdown. Yes, the ride cycle is still short, but it's nice to see the ride operate reliably. Also, a short ride cycle helps the line move faster, so it's not too big of a deal. My first few rides back in April were fairly weak, but I rode it three times today and all three times I had some crazy flips and funky upside down moments. It really is a fun ride, and it's so nice to have a fresh new thrilling flat ride in the park after seeing so many get removed over the last few years. I'm still disappointed they never added the decals to the ride though. It would really top off the ride visually. It's also quite the people-eater in terms of flats. Not as good as Windseeker, but 36 riders every 2 or so minutes isn't too shabby.

GhostRider is still running smooth as butter. I got a front row ride at dusk, and it was fantastic as always. I believe its one-year anniversary is sometime this week as well! I hope it stays this smooth for many years to come. I can't wait to try Mystic Timbers this summer and compare.

Xcelerator is STILL on two trains. It has been like that since November (with a small period of refurbishment in early May). It doesn't help capacity a ton (they should really make it an unload station like Dragster), but it does make a small difference. Hopefully this becomes a new norm.

The Boardwalk is pretty much a mess right now. Coast Rider sucks now, and there is so much construction all over the place. It sure does look funny without Boomerang, but it's also incredibly satisfying. I can't wait for everything to be cleaned up with an awesome new ride/coaster next year! The restaurant is also turning out MUCH bigger than I expected.

As for Soak City:

WOW! What a difference. The park was honestly getting pretty run down, so it's great to see everything all fresh. Shore Break is fantastic (my first drop capsule slides), and the tube slides were also fun. I didn't try the Wedge since the line was atrocious. Oh, and the renovated Longboards is also great. I had fish and chips with lemonade on my dining pass, and it is set up very well and operates efficiently. Good stuff. I only spent a few hours in the water park, so I didn't ride a ton, but I wandered around and checked everything out, and the new landscaping and paint was very much needed. I'll actually visit this water park more often now.

However, I did notice something worth mentioning. The park was quite inconsistent with their policy on swim shirts / rash guards. The first time I rode Short Break, they didn't say anything, and I rode it no problem. I then came back after lunch, and an employee at the entrance of the ride said I couldn't ride with a swim shirt (which I don't mind, but I hadn't applied sunblock so I just figured it wasn't worth it at that time). I then headed over to Old Man Falls (the original slide tower), and I rode with a swim shirt without an issue. I'll follow whatever rules they have in place, I'm just being told two different things. Guess I'll be a little more prepared next time and take the safe route and just not bring a rash guard.

Generally speaking, the life guards just seemed pretty grumpy today. The food employees were excellent, but all the life guards at the slide towers just seemed irritated. Some guests are really annoying, so I guess they need to be strict, but they weren't very welcoming. Actually, on my first ride on Shore Break, I was in the capsule waiting to drop, and we were delayed because the employees at the bottom end of the slide were completely distracted. There might be more to the story I don't know, or maybe it was just a bad day, but oh well. I still had a great time. I'll be back for a full day at the water park later this week or early next week. Today was my "trial day" just to check everything out for the first time.

That's pretty much it. I was able to get a good look at the plot of land available while riding Supreme Scream (I was facing Xcelerator), and it is actually quite large. I quickly compared it to the size of Xcelerator's area, and it was just a tad smaller. Knott's could really go lots of directions with this, and I have no idea what to expect. Just have to wait a couple months and see.

The Cal-OSHA report still isn't public from the last breakdown and if Knott's can't make any required corrections or re-open it; I see them demolishing it over leaving the tower SBNO. How do they get the cabin down sooner if the ride breaks down again? Windseeker had to go after the second extended breakdown so Sky Cabin could too. It is a nice ride to take pictures from if the plexiglass wasn't all scratched up by the delinquents.

Ugh. Cedar Fair has dicked with the tower so much honestly it's not even the same freakin' thing anymore. I think the Knott's family removed the Parachutes after someone committed suicide either at Knott's or another park with a similar attraction, then the K was removed for no reason, now they aren't even interested in keeping the Sky Cabin open (which I don't understand it's always nice to have an observation tower especially one in the middle of a city like Orange County where you can see the beach and the surrounding mountains). I mean if Six Flags can refurb Superman to get it running consistently are you telling me Cedar Fair can't drop some money into the Sky Cabin to get it running well? I can't for the life of me remember who made the sky cabin but if I'm correct it's a company that's still around, why do I feel like it's Intamin? It may be Intamin. I believe there's some kind of plaque or badge on the cabin indoors which says the manufacturer and year it was built.

Totally a mistake on my part, sorry about that! I don't know how I missed that!

Ugh. Cedar Fair has dicked with the tower so much honestly it's not even the same freakin' thing anymore. I think the Knott's family removed the Parachutes after someone committed suicide either at Knott's or another park with a similar attraction, then the K was removed for no reason, now they aren't even interested in keeping the Sky Cabin open (which I don't understand it's always nice to have an observation tower especially one in the middle of a city like Orange County where you can see the beach and the surrounding mountains). I mean if Six Flags can refurb Superman to get it running consistently are you telling me Cedar Fair can't drop some money into the Sky Cabin to get it running well? I can't for the life of me remember who made the sky cabin but if I'm correct it's a company that's still around, why do I feel like it's Intamin? It may be Intamin. I believe there's some kind of plaque or badge on the cabin indoors which says the manufacturer and year it was built.

Totally a mistake on my part, sorry about that! I don't know how I missed that!

Sky Cabin was made by intamin, but I don't see them refurbishing the tower.

You're assuming that the unfortunate breakdown was not already in the SOP as a "worst case scenario."

No ride is 100% failsafe. Many already have it outlined what conditions require emergency personal for evacuation and DOSH has no problem approving those.

We just don't know at this point. Could just be as simple as they knew it was going to be part of the active construction site soon and used the evacuation as an excuse to save some labor before they shut it down for construction.