TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I wouldn't be too devastated to send them WT. It's a fun ride, but doesn't stand out as phenomenal with the other rides offered at the park.

As for Knotts, does anyone know what kind of restrictions are imposed by the city? They probably want something big to take the momentum away from Disney, but the city surely has an opinion of what they will allow.

As for Knotts, does anyone know what kind of restrictions are imposed by the city? They probably want something big to take the momentum away from Disney, but the city surely has an opinion of what they will allow.

I don't think there are any height restrictions given that you've got Xcelerator (205 ft), Supreme Scream (325 ft), and the Sky Cabin (250 ft) in that corner of the park. I doubt that there are any noise restrictions either considering that they run all the rides until 2am during Haunt. I've heard many times that the rides aren't allowed to cross over Beach Blvd or Western Ave, but I don't know for certain if that's true.

The park has taken measures to reduce the noise produced by their rides (ie. Silver Bullet's sanded track and the overhang on Ghostrider's first drop), but I don't know if the city required them to do that or if they just did it to eliminate potential complaints from neighbors.

I don't know if the city required them to do that or if they just did it to eliminate potential complaints from neighbors.

I think this is true. I am not certain if there is an explicit restriction out there requiring Knott's to limit noise, but they may just do so as precautionary measures considering the surrounding residential areas.

That being said, the park is still pretty noisy from all four surrounding streets. Monte's loop can be heard from quite a distance away as well as Supreme Scream's air release and Boomerang's chain lift catch. I wouldn't call it a "quiet" park, but I imagine they will try to limit noise as much as possible with whatever they're replacing Boomerang with next year.

I wouldn't be too devastated to send them WT. It's a fun ride, but doesn't stand out as phenomenal with the other rides offered at the park.

Based on the conference call it seems like it's going to be a brand new Impulse coaster for CGA. Wicked Twister is likely staying right where it is.

Maybe Knotts is getting a Polercoaster. It replaces the Sky Cabin with a more reliable observation deck attraction and gives the park a unique new roller coaster that has never been seen before.

I think a smaller version of this would fit the area of Boomerang and Sky Cabin like a glove.

Maybe Knotts is getting a Polercoaster. It replaces the Sky Cabin with a more reliable observation deck attraction and gives the park a unique new roller coaster that has never been seen before.

I think a smaller version of this would fit the area of Boomerang and Sky Cabin like a glove.

The Orlando Polercoaster costs $200 million. I know that Knott's wouldn't be building a 500 ft. tall version, but you're still probably looking at at least $100 million for a 200-300 ft. model (and even that is an extremely low estimate). I'm skeptical of even Cedar Point affording a 300 ft. one, let alone a 500 ft. tall version.

Where is the "lift hill" on that tower, or do they go straight up maybe on the inside of the tower or backside that doesn't show?

The lift is actually a vertical launch inside the tower with an inverted top hat-like element at the top.

IMG_1406.JPG.8d35d5b28147fa7b7094376b58d9fb27.JPG

It's a 90 degree launch lift on one side of the tower....at least the most recent version for Orlando.

^Oops I was beat to it. Well here's the video anyway.

P.S. There is no way in the world they would build a polarcoaster at Knott's...

Are we really discussing the possibility of a Polercoaster coming to Knott's?

Talk about crazy dreams people are having...

At first thought of that I was thinking oh no not something lame like that, but watching that video, I wouldn't mind that at all. It would be like getting a giga(minus the big drop of course) and new tower all in one. That lift hill is scary! What happens if a car get stuck? I'm sure after the couple knotts incidents that would be well thought out. Guessing they would seat you on the bottom not at the top? How is capacity on that one ride?

Are we really discussing the possibility of a Polercoaster coming to Knott's?

Yeah, because it has to hold up the big "K" which "is a national historic landmark with it's exact location in the sky protected". You didn't know?

Yeah, because it has to hold up the big "K" which "is a national historic landmark with it's exact location in the sky protected". You didn't know?

No, apparently the entire tower is a landmark. It cannot be altered or removed. These are the words of Raffi Kaprelian former Knott's president when discussing Windseeeker.

No, apparently the entire tower is a landmark. It cannot be altered or removed. These are the words of Raffi Kaprelian former Knott's president when discussing Windseeeker.

Whats great about living in 2017 is that we have google and have the ability to actually look up proof for this kind of bullsh*t.

Looky here, nothing on the National Register of Historic Places or the California Office of Historic Preservation.

Google doesn't turn up much either though this article from 2011 contains the following quote:

Knott's Berry Farm General Manager Marty Keithley said of the ride: "We felt keeping Sky Cabin was important to the park. It’s an older ride, and it has a following."

I'd imagine if it was in fact any sort of designated landmark that would have been mentioned there, not just "oh, it has a following".

Google also turns up this random thread where no one can confirm or produce any evidence at all this is a thing, though it ends with this quote:

Chiming in with the sad news — the tower and its non-functioning neon K are not officially landmarked or protected in any way. That giant K is iconic and a huge roadside attraction, but there are no city, state or federal regulations protecting the tower or its neon K from demolition. ...But there should be!

Even Knotts wiki doesn't mention it, which we all know any and everyone can update, and no joker has even bothered to edit that in an effort to perpetuate this non-truth.

So there you have it. If it looks like bullsh*t, and smells like bullsh*t its likely...

This again? I thought I settled that several pages back after finding nothing other than rumor sites claiming it was historical landmark. Of course I didn't post the links so at least there is further proof now available above to any naysayers who are too lazy to look it up for themselves.