TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I remember riding something like this at Thorpe Park in England.

Even if it's not actually the same look, the program looks the same, to me,

and Thorpe's was definitely longer and stronger, for myself back then.

This looks like test runs, before going full tilt boogie. Yes? No?

I can understand, if keeping it "Family ride", the cycle is lower.

I think they rushed the opening for the last weekend Boysenberry Festival but it's not quite ready. I agree with the other poster that says they look like test runs.

I really hope this is the case because we rode it on Friday and came away a little disappointed. The Top Scan at Lagoon in Utah runs a longer program (main arm spins both clockwise and counter clockwise) and the seating arms flip a lot more. It would be a shame to put in such a great and unique flat ride only to have it run a terrible program.

Edited by VegasBaby

Man, too bad they've chosen such a lame ride cycle. Such potential for a crazy experience with top scans. Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland, for example, is one of my favourite flats; its transition between forwards and backwards always feels crazy. Hopefully they're just testing for now.

Rode Sol Spin twice today. Yes it's a short cycle, but the ride's only been open for two days. If a short cycle keeps it more reliable, I'm for it. It makes the line move faster as well. Great ride and great addition regardless!

Also just rode my last ride on Boomerang. Employee mentioned the new ride will be a "drop coaster" which I presume is a B&M Dive, but of course that is coming from an employee, so who knows. Sounds plausible though. There were also lots of enthusiasts in line. My goodness... I thought I was nerdy... they're annoying.

Someone posted a video of Sol Spin completing a cycle. The ride appears to be about 1 min 45 secs in length but only about 1 min of decent speed. The rest is raising and lowering of the carriage.

Slightly offtopic but on the video I hear something like "please remain seated" my question is why do some parks (by what i've gathered, north-american parks) have these announcements for any rides where you physically can't do anything besides be seated like on this? Like I understand such an announcement on like a mack powered coaster or teacups or a boat ride or something?

Sol spin is definitely still in its beta testing stages. They'll make a longer cycle for it later this year.

Hopefully they go with a more intense cycle too. Based on the videos that I've seen, the ride looks pretty tame, which is a bummer considering that Knott's is marketing it as a "thrill ride". At this point, it doesn't seem much more "thrilling" than Pacific Scrambler.

It doesn't surprise me that they're going this conservative to start with Sol Spin's cycle. Top Scans are extremely temperamental, and a lot of it can be accredited to intensity of the ride. Considering that this is a used ride to begin with, they'll probably boost its intensity little by little as the maintenance crew can learn the system a little more.

It doesn't surprise me that they're going this conservative to start with Sol Spin's cycle. Top Scans are extremely temperamental, and a lot of it can be accredited to intensity of the ride. Considering that this is a used ride to begin with, they'll probably boost its intensity little by little as the maintenance crew can learn the system a little more.

Sol Spin is not used.

Sol Spin is not used.

My mistake, I just assumed it was a part of the ride buy like Carowind's attractions were this year. I still stand by what I said when it comes to getting used to the system though. Some of it is going to rely on guest feedback as well.

Sol Spin is not used.

My mistake, I just assumed it was a part of the ride buy like Carowind's attractions were this year. I still stand by what I said when it comes to getting used to the system though. Some of it is going to rely on guest feedback as well.

I agree. Like I said, it's brand new and is technically a prototype since it is the first "large" custom version. It was down for about half the day yesterday, but it opened up around 4:00 and only had a few hiccups since (from what I saw). The shorter cycle really does help with capacity though. A full queue takes under an hour. The 36 vs 30 passengers really makes a difference it seems.

Okay, so the locals can help me out on this but it looks like we're starting to get an idea of the scope of this project.

There have been some website updates. The map has been updated and the path in front of Boomerang has been completely cut off. Toppers Hat Shop has been removed from the website and one can only imagine will be demolished (though it could of course be re-purposed). I think there's a good chance that that pathway is gone for good but that's just a guess.

Walls are up around the entire area and seem to extend around the Riptide site in one direction and beyond the old path by Toppers and Boomerang in the other direction, so basically we have the entire area from Riptide and probably all the way around Sky Cabin (though we haven't seen anything from that area and by all indications the ride itself isn't going anywhere) in the other direction. If that's true, then this is a huge area (by Knott's standards).

walls.thumb.jpg.6727b80b2a2cf45190949a0af600bcc5.jpg

Part of that area includes the new boardwalk BBQ food venue/entertainment stage. So it's still TBD what area the ride will encompass. But even just Boomerang and Riptide space is enough for a good mid size/compact ride.

Someone posted a video of Sol Spin completing a cycle. The ride appears to be about 1 min 45 secs in length but only about 1 min of decent speed. The rest is raising and lowering of the carriage.

Slightly offtopic but on the video I hear something like "please remain seated" my question is why do some parks (by what i've gathered, north-american parks) have these announcements for any rides where you physically can't do anything besides be seated like on this? Like I understand such an announcement on like a mack powered coaster or teacups or a boat ride or something?

Lawyers.

USA is a very litigious country. Knotts and other parks are just coving their asses from stupid people looking for a payday.

Part of that area includes the new boardwalk BBQ food venue/entertainment stage. So it's still TBD what area the ride will encompass. But even just Boomerang and Riptide space is enough for a good mid size/compact ride.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new coaster wrap around the Sky Cabin and extend all the way down to the new Calico stage, which would give them a pretty big area to work with. Knott's has proven with GhostRider and SB that they can get creative with ride placement.

Cracked open google earth to kinda get an idea of the space Knotts looks like they are opening up. If you include the area around sky tower they have a little over 62,000 square feet of space, of interesting comparison Xcelerator takes up around 61,000 square feet so Knotts could add a fairly large and good ride in this space with some creativity.

1277607824_ScreenShot2017-04-24at12_18_53PM.thumb.png.979450b28b0d32ce292c58a87d781248.png

745308264_ScreenShot2017-04-24at12_19_47PM.thumb.png.a5668ffbd42a1f12eb1299e13ae82613.png

How likely that it passes over the Midway and over Surfside Gliders and Scrambler, maybe Xcelerator even?

I think it's possible, but aesthetically that sounds like a terrible idea.

I've got to be honest, I'm feeling like this is a dive coaster. It can easily achieve impressive heights and speeds in a small area, it would be a one-of-a-kind ride in the region, the chain just added one at Cedar Point and I think it makes a lot of sense for this park.

I'm not going on anything other than a gut feeling, but I think this is a pretty likely option.

How likely that it passes over the Midway and over Surfside Gliders and Scrambler, maybe Xcelerator even?

I think it's possible, but aesthetically that sounds like a terrible idea.

I've got to be honest, I'm feeling like this is a dive coaster. It can easily achieve impressive heights and speeds in a small area, it would be a one-of-a-kind ride in the region, the chain just added one at Cedar Point and I think it makes a lot of sense for this park.

I'm not going on anything other than a gut feeling, but I think this is a pretty likely option.

What about the mention of 'drop' coaster by an employee? More likely that they mean dive coaster or that they actually know what they're talking about and they mean a section of drop track?

Edited by WestCoasterKing