TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

For supposedly being one of the roughest Boomerangs around, I didn't think it was that bad when I rode it a few weeks ago.

I never thought that Knott's Boomerang was overly rough as far as Boomerang coasters go.

That said, I'm excited for it to go and see what Knott's has up their sleeves for its replacement.

^ If you want a rough boomerang, ride the one at SFDK. I'll ride most boomerangs, but this one is an exception. I just refuse to ride that or Kong when I'm at the park.

I've honestly found the one at Knott's to be more uncomfortable.

Put me in the camp where I didn't actually find that Boomerang any worse or better than any other of it's model. It's not great, but I didn't personally think it was the worst one either. That said, I'm not particularly sad it's leaving... more because of it's dismal wait times for something that's not really worth it anymore. Though I do recall that when these rides first emerged, they were exciting at the time to be able to pack 6 inversions in such a small space.

The only good boomerang is the kind with the modified restraints.

As in, Sidewinder and Carolina Cobra are awesome. Most of the rest are splitting hairs. However, I will miss the Knott's version for its unusually slow cable lift-that added an extra bit of tension that the other boomerangs seem to lack.

I was at the park today to finally sample all of the Boysenberry Festival goodness and I saw Sol Spin with people on it, so my son and I jumped in line. It's a really fun flat and a great addition to the park, although I don't think the arms spin as much as the Samurai at Lagoon. Here's a quick video I shot of it in action:

trim.400EDC23-511C-4FE2-9DD7-11BCF6537026.MOV

Ok folks, I'm driving down from SF for the weekend, primarily with the goal of eating boysenberry stuff. So, for those of you who've been to the festival (a few times), what should I eat?

I figured we'd do the tasting card, but there are so many other things that sound good, I think I'm going to be overwhelmed with choice! Although the real question is how I'm going to ride coasters with bags filled with boysenberry bbq sauce to bring home (are the shops open until closing?)

Just came home from the park. Gotta say as much as I hate Boomerang, the structure and color scheme is so attractive. Definitely going to miss the color scheme. As for Sol Spin, the ride was very fun. It was also way too short and not enough spinning. It felt like the entire ride was over in less that thirty seconds.

Just came home from the park. Gotta say as much as I hate Boomerang, the structure and color scheme is so attractive. Definitely going to miss the color scheme. As for Sol Spin, the ride was very fun. It was also way too short and not enough spinning. It felt like the entire ride was over in less that thirty seconds.

Sounds like the Top Scan at Canada's Wonderland. I really want to try a top scan sometime with a full and crazy cycle.

I do think a cycle can make a big difference for rides like these. Everland's moves pretty slow and I find it quite dull whereas I loved The Beast at Fantasy Island. I bet travelling ones have an insane cycle. I've heard the same for the star shape rides as well, the one at Blackpool was fun but not that intense but I've heard good things about some on the European travelling circuit.

I got a taste of what a good cycle would be like on a similar ride, Canobie's Equinox (KMG Tango). However, the ride was closed as often as Chick-fil-a is on Sundays. It was a shame since the park ran a really long cycle and that was an incredibly intense flat.

Doesn't weight distribution make a big difference as well? I noticed that some arms are flipping like crazy, and others aren't really flipping at all. It seems like one of those rides that you need to ride multiple times to get a feel for.

Regardless, this is still a great addition to the park. They desperately needed a fresh new thrilling flat ride w/ high capacity.

That's really disappointing if it has a short cycle. I rode the one in Lagoon (Samuri), and as I recall, it had a semi-lengthy cycle that ran both backwards and forwards. One of my favorite flat rides that I've been on.

I doubt it, but I suppose there is a small chance the cycle and/or speed may have been slowed down due to it's size... isn't it the only one that seats six across instead of five? The extra length of the arms could affect the recommended speed of the ride, or else those end seats may be too much. It's a longshot, but I would gamble thatit could be at least a factor in a shorter ride cycle.

Man that's a really lame cycle. Four forward rotations and zero backward. There also isn't a whole lot of flipping going on, just some "almost inversions" that quickly correct to right side up. I wasn't expecting German fair level action or anything but that's probably the worst Top Scan program I've seen,