TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

So, why is everyone jumping on board with it being a dive coaster? Did someone just suggest it and people are saying confidently, out of the dozens of realistic possibilities, that this is what it'll be?

Looking at possibilities over 200ft for coasters, a dive coaster seems like the most likely candidate. Los Angeles already has a hyper; hyper coasters would take more space, while a dive coaster is more compact hugely in part because they have a steeper lift and drop AND because their drop is parallel to the lift and doesn't take up additional space at the end of the lift.

I'm not saying Knott's won't replace boomerang with a flower bed that will be watered with the tears of whiny enthusiasts. In fact, the discussion if a ride over 200ft came to life with the hyper coaster rumor that has been going on for years. What I believe is that a Dive Coaster would be the most likely possibility IF and ONLY IF the we are discussing coasters over 200ft.

I'm not outruling the possibility of something completely new, either. Intamin could design a 200ft wing rider aquatrax for all we know. It is a matter of the likelihood and ambiguity of predicting that something like that will happen that keeps me from considering that as an option.

In the end, I'm merely in here to have fun speculating, as are others, including those just reading for entertainment and not commenting. I don't believe my prediction is the all-knowing truth.

If you look at it, it seems that there is more than enough space to fit a Baron 1898 esque B&M Dive Coaster in there. I made sure that the scale was accurate on Google Maps, and I don't think it'd be even a tight fit to put a dive coaster there. We might be seeing Cedar Fair's next large B&M on our hands.

[attachment=0]Baron 1898.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Boomerang.JPG[/attachment]

Forget just Baron 1898 - the park physically could fit a full-sized Dive Coaster that the plot if they wanted. Sheikra's lift on covers around 220 ft of ground, according to Google Maps, and it's wide, turning, pre-drop transfer only has a diameter of 120 ft. The Boomerang and Riptide plot measures 400ft long and 120 ft wide underneath Boomerang's lift, and is even wider at the cobra roll end.

but I think SFMM has something completely different in mind.

Hopefully it's Zamperla Giant Discovery, the park needs one bad

Don't you mean dueling Superloops with VR that only works after performing an animal sacrifice?

but I think SFMM has something completely different in mind.

Hopefully it's Zamperla Giant Discovery, the park needs one bad

Don't you mean dueling Superloops with VR that only works after performing an animal sacrifice?

Not quite

If Boomerang is closing then that can only mean one thing.

#RMCBoomerangFor2019

Hoping for RMC Corkscrew, myself. Fits with the park's "returning to the roots" moves as of late. (obviously kidding) Please just not a Premier Sky Rocket. The last thing the park needs is another short and low-capacity coaster.

Hoping for RMC Corkscrew, myself. Fits with the park's "returning to the roots" moves as of late. (obviously kidding) Please just not a Premier Sky Rocket. The last thing the park needs is another short and low-capacity coaster.

Agreed, the last thing the park needs is another low capacity launched coaster.

Out of curiosity, the pool that surrounds the Gliders and Scrambler, is that the former splash pool for Perilous Plunge or is that something that was built for the Boardwalk expansion?

Knott's finally adds season drink option for $29.99 with disposable cups. Also, Panda Express and other places added to all day / season dining program,

2089900505_knottsdinkplan.thumb.JPG.965c97cf90b6bc3ecae04816db04a489.JPG

New drink program

581224448_menu2.JPG.a8b4a6fb73079e801001d061cf36a9af.JPG

Dining program additions

2056548370_menu3.JPG.0f5f48119fe6c51e511a4c622e8533a2.JPG

Dining program additions

719896869_menu4.JPG.6bf37f6659bb9677dac518e43d033805.JPG

Dining program additions

panda.JPG.1da9fad9299283e6a8822295393fcbf1.JPG

Dining program additions

First post, longtime reader/follower/stalker

You get the point.

I had the pleasure of working at the park for several years in ride operations. I felt I should finally lend some insight into the "What is going here?" discussion.

Keep in mind, a Dive machine does look likely, and I think there is a high chance of this happening.

1. Capacity of the Dive Coaster can fit a park of Knott's magnitude.

2. Noise isn't an issue (also keep in mind, they can sand-fill to deaden the sound if need be.

3. Market Value <---- Biggest point, No Dive Machine with the "marketability of Valravan" west of the Rockies. Which Knotts/Cedar Fair LOVE to do, (Longest Tallest Fastest Wooden coaster on the west coast. Tallest Invert on the west coast. etc etc.) It is also in the back of the park, and will actually add very nicely to the skyline of the park (Watching from the near-by 91 Freeway on the way to Disneyland (5 Freeway as well).

4. Lastly, IF THEY DO build a B&M Dive Coaster here, keep in mind the goal. They do not compete with DLR, nor do they compete with Six Flags or Universal. This is an opportunity for them to draw crowds (Extended Vacations) from people who will be visiting cough::cough:: Star Wars Land and USH new attractions that are incoming. Which kind of adds to the market value of a Dive Coaster at this point.

However, also to keep in mind. Traditionally the Knott family, and Cedar Fair in success, have a tendency to attempt to put something "New" in the park, i.e. Xcelerator. We could very well see a prototype here, or one of a kind. Im hoping for dive machine, but would not be the least bit surprised if a lower capacity, yet attractive Raptor/T-Rex was introduced here.

As far as capital, I have seen a lot of posts claiming money to be a deciding factor. That is not how the business of the industry works. Investments are made when there is a market to tap into. They have a market to tap into which will BLOAT when Star Wars Land opens, and will move money and mountains to make more money. Trying to keep this as easy to understand as possible (I work in marketing and finance).

As far as being landlocked. Knott's is actually not as limited as you may think. I believe Sky Cabin will remain in place, K remains!, and I believe whatever we see will have a layout that will encompass this tower, and new restaurant.

Another option, and honestly could be occurring right now is another flat or shuttle coaster/smaller coaster/family coaster. However, I have made my argument as to why a Dive Machine or larger "West-Coast Fury" is indeed possible.

Also! One last thing before I forget. Just because they are starting construction in April 2017, doesn't mean this attraction opens in SUMMER of 18. In this region, we are year round with all of our parks including psuedo-yearround SFMM. Example, Silver Bullet opened in December.

From Knott's:

Knott’s Berry Farm is the birthplace of the Boysenberry and each spring, Knott’s celebrates the flavorful berry and it historic roots during the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival with unique food and live entertainment. For the first time ever, the mouthwatering festival is expanding to three weeks, April 1 – April 23. The 23-day food festival features over 80 one-of-a-kind boysenberry inspired dishes, drinks and more, plus foot-stompin’ entertainment, the Wine and Craft Brew Tasting Garden, and family fun everyone will love!

From sun up to sun down, the festival offers good ol’ fashion food, fun and entertainment. Pick up a tasting card to sample a few of the most popular boysenberry dishes in the park. For guests with a hankerin’ for some live entertainment, the options are endless with live music throughout the park, a nighttime dance party, and brand new shows like, Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree at the Calico Mine Stage. Head over to Calico Park for a hootenanny featuring pie eating contests, line dancing and country fair festivities with the local Ghost Town townsfolk. The limited-time Festival is included with admission to Knott’s Berry Farm.

Last week, Theme Park Review was invited to a tasting preview of some of the 80 boysenberry inspired items of their 2017 festival. It's awesome that so many parks are doing these food and drink events because they give patrons a reason to come back throughout the year as well as breaking the stigma of "theme park food".

What you should know:

-New items for 2017: Boysenberry pizza, boysenberry ravioli, boysenberry fry bread, and corn on the cob with boysenberry butter and mayo.

-One of the best ways to experience the event is with a boysenberry Bites Tasting Card for $25. It includes the boysenberry: pizza, ravioli, buffalo wings, BBQ meatballs, fry bread, and pana cotta.

-This event features more than just food. The Knott's Boysenberry Festival will feature live music, a nighttime dance party, a new Snoopy show, pie eating contests, line dancing, and more.

- The boysenberry is a cross between a loganberry, red raspberry, and blackberry. You can learn more about its history during the event at Ghost Town's Town Hall in a 10-minute film played on loop.

Be sure to visit the festival starting April 1st! Theme Park review will be in attendance that day and will be live tweeting all of the festive festival festivities!

Enjoy the pictures and video below of the tasting preview, and a big boysenberry overloaded "thank you"! To the incredible Knott's PR team!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

001.thumb.JPG.f7096a9c0eca56438f2fe4c2bcd6f556.JPG

Welcome to the 2017 Knott's Boysenberry Festival Tasting Preview!

002.thumb.JPG.aedffcea490206ce3414d86e9dfe0b68.JPG

We're not even through the door yet and they loaded us up with boysenberry: shortbread cookies, cotton candy, and chapstick!

003.thumb.JPG.98c5062e601d79dd3cc62767b3a51d4b.JPG

...then we get in the door before the presentation and they butter us up with fresh baked rolls for boysenberry: punch, jam, and butter! The tasting event hasn't even started and we are on a boysenberry overload! Boysenberry!!!

004.thumb.JPG.f990ff5ce923c67f06aa55cc54ee1437.JPG

The head Chef for the event detail the new and exciting dishes for this year's event.

005.thumb.JPG.2dea28b15e2e57c5c96d56f73201f9ad.JPG

We started with the Apricot and pulled pork sandwich.

006.thumb.JPG.203bf25d6d2e0b64f9acb132342499bc.JPG

Alligator with boysenberry aioli. This was my first time having alligator, and I liked it!

007.thumb.JPG.f863c51d898e20e625d633b6130eeeac.JPG

Of course anything deep-fried is great. It is soft and light like fish (without a fishy smell) and a bit more chewy than chicken.

008.thumb.JPG.c4e491c5b1d16f750263fe8f3093a16a.JPG

New this year is the boysenberry pizza.

009.thumb.JPG.1058cdf932c245c2a11b03826c475aba.JPG

Very well done! Nice and flavorful with the boysenberry component replacing the sauce and most of the cheese.

010.thumb.JPG.06f48a6007f7bcf47b2ad4ff18799468.JPG

Boysenberry short ribs on jasmine rice. It tasted great, but our sample portion had a high "bone to meat" ratio. I assume that the normal portion size with have more meat.

011.thumb.JPG.c79773a2ac01e9104ce32c38cc3a9ce0.JPG

Boysenberry ravioli. So inventive and fun; a great flavor both inside and out!

012.thumb.JPG.11b8e57a208d072986c6a7d78ad865fd.JPG

Boysenberry buffalo wings. I can't handle anything spicy, but took the risk for the TPR members. Luckily it was just under my tolerance level and I could really enjoy the flavor of the sauce. It was a great dish!

013.thumb.JPG.fa582357988d64ccb4fd431753fe91da.JPG

Same with the meatballs. Perfectly tender, with the sauce being a perfect compliment for this sweet and savory item.

014.thumb.JPG.e4167edf0e26fb31277495f9517b0506.JPG

Now for desserts! Starting with the boysenberry flautas. Nice crunchy outside with a flavorful filling inside.

015.thumb.JPG.daa4131c0b4e46c99dc17603f978c6f0.JPG

Boysenberry crepe: A bit of chocolate and a lot of boysenberry and what we think was Nutella. Great stuff!

016.thumb.JPG.4a20f05615497c57c64be8b14aa5d5d8.JPG

The next three desserts were all *perfect*! First, this chocolate-covered boysenberry cheesecake on a stick was awesome. It has a cold slice of cheesecake on the inside with a hardened chocolate shell on the outside...on a stick!!!

017.thumb.JPG.9f5820a8e53869e2a2e1127c625087d8.JPG

...even more amazing was the deep-fried boysenberry cheesecake...on a stick!!! It has a boysenberry sauce drizzled on the outside and powdered sugar.

018.thumb.JPG.4f0ba360e85c3109e4d1e820b64be917.JPG

"I will conquer you!"

019.thumb.JPG.bbdca60439ceded03e47751a25dbb67c.JPG

"Or you can conquer me...that's fine...you are perfect!"

020.thumb.JPG.215bed93e44ee2def5a1e0a092ebbce3.JPG

And third: the boysenberry fun bun! This is a deep friend boysenberry cinnamon bun! Simply put, this is perfection. If you are only going to get one item for this event, we recommend this!

021.thumb.JPG.7fb93c3bac3416f4890941867ac99d3b.JPG

Be sure to check out all this event has to offer starting on April 1st, and watch for live tweeting from Theme Park review as we cover the opening day! Thank you again to Knott's Berry Farm for inviting to this boysenberry overloaded tasting preview!

Edited by robbalvey