TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Dark brown. Like...uh....you know....

I mean, that IS it's name, right? Yes? Hmmm?

EDIT: I note that this is interesting to me, because this is the ONLY coaster I know of,

that's been named, after a human physical reaction, to drinking unfiltered water (at that

time) in another country. I mean, I haven't heard of an actual coaster called Vomit Comet, yes? No?

According to wikipedia, it is named after a bluegrass band that performed at the park.

Adding on to this Montezooma's Revenge discussion, I highly doubt they'd remove Montezooma. It's takes up too little space, its too good of a ride, and its too much of a classic.

And going deeper into the classic part, Knott's has been showing a lot of love to their classics over the past few years, whether it be refurbishing the Timer Log Mountain Ride or the Calico Mine Train or re-energizing Ghost Town with Ghost Town Alive. In my opinion, restoring Montezooma to its original color scheme is basically a guarantee that Knott's loves their classics and all their classics are here to stay.

I hadn't thought of it this way. Knott's is more nostalgic than pretty much any other regional park, maybe that does mean they'll keep it. The space benefit certainly didn't help CGA keep Tidal Wave/Greased Lightnin' (of course that was pre-Cedar Fair and when the park was stupidly run).

You've made me more confident Monte isn't leaving

Perhaps if there was a rumor that Jaguar was on the chopping block too, I'd take it more seriously. Otherwise what would they do with the space, add a 3rd Premier sky rocket to California? (I say this, half joking, but realize this very well could be possible)

I'm having a hard time coming up with a decent screenshot, but if you look on the webcams, it appears that Monte is going to have red track and yellow supports.

I had no idea they finally got Webcams at Knott's. That's pretty awesome since they're open daily all year. Now I'll be way less productive at the office. Thanks Knott's!

Why are people on here so fixated on the idea that Zoom is going to get removed?

There's no evidence that the park has been considering it, and it makes no sense.

Aren't most or all of the other Schwarzkopf launched coaster like this one retired? My guess is that at some point, the launch mechanism wears out and you either custom mill everything new or choose to retire it because it isn't worth the cost. You can put a new train on Revolution or restraints on boomerang to give it a new feel for not much money. I think Monte will eventually need a lot more work than just new trains and might get replaced with a magnetic launched coaster. They should keep the classic station though.

Now, I don't know that it is leaving but that is my guess as to why Monte might be one of the next coasters to leave if something is removed.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a decent screenshot, but if you look on the webcams, it appears that Monte is going to have red track and yellow supports.

I had no idea they finally got Webcams at Knott's. That's pretty awesome since they're open daily all year. Now I'll be way less productive at the office. Thanks Knott's!

It's pretty awesome! On weekdays, you can see how much of a ghost town (no pun intended) the park is!

I'm likely heading to the park this weekend and will try to get some more photos of Monte's re-paint. Haven't seen any updates in a few days other than what's visible on the webcams, which isn't much.

It's pretty awesome! On weekdays, you can see how much of a ghost town (no pun intended) the park is!

I'm likely heading to the park this weekend and will try to get some more photos of Monte's re-paint. Haven't seen any updates in a few days other than what's visible on the webcams, which isn't much.

yeah, i love that they got those webcams now. now i can decide to drive the 4 miles there or not from home. haha

Historically is the park open for scary farm on Thursday's from the start? Just looking at the calendar the park closes at 5:30 on Thursday September 21st I'm assuming that will probably be the first day of the event?

Also based on my searching it looks like Platinum Passes are no good for admission, roughly (it probably varies on the day) how much is it for a season pass discounted ticket to scary farm? Just debating what my plans will be this fall and if I will finally be able to make a west coast trip. Thanks!

Historically is the park open for scary farm on Thursday's from the start? Just looking at the calendar the park closes at 5:30 on Thursday September 21st I'm assuming that will probably be the first day of the event?

Also based on my searching it looks like Platinum Passes are no good for admission, roughly (it probably varies on the day) how much is it for a season pass discounted ticket to scary farm? Just debating what my plans will be this fall and if I will finally be able to make a west coast trip. Thanks!

For the past couple years, the first weekend of Haunt has been Thurs-Sat, so you're probably right.

That being said... Haunt stuff is always in flux until mid/late summer, so I wouldn't buy a plane ticket just yet. Also, I caution against going to any haunted event on opening night. 9 times out of 10 you'll get a better overall experience if you go 2nd weekend instead.

You are correct about the pass. Scary Farm is a separate ticket, so passes don't work for admission. However, a Platinum level pass will work for parking. Pricing varies day to day based on expected demand, but I would say plan on $45-ish to get in and $70 additional for Skeleton Key / Fright Lane (if that's something you're into).

Great info. Thank you.

Giving myself plenty of time to figure things out, just coming up with possible itineraries so I can visit scary farm, magic mountain/fright fest, universal/horror nights, and maybe sneak up to Discovery kingdom / California's great America (maybe split in one day, I didn't realize CGA did a haunt) but that might be a stretch -- I think I'd rather do 2 magic mountain days if I'm forced for a weekend, then again flash pass is probably the better option; but I just hate all the restrictions that come with SFMM's.

The second weekend does sound like a better idea after reading some trip reports for opening day/weekend.

Why are people on here so fixated on the idea that Zoom is going to get removed?

There's no evidence that the park has been considering it, and it makes no sense.

Aren't most or all of the other Schwarzkopf launched coaster like this one retired? My guess is that at some point, the launch mechanism wears out and you either custom mill everything new or choose to retire it because it isn't worth the cost. You can put a new train on Revolution or restraints on boomerang to give it a new feel for not much money. I think Monte will eventually need a lot more work than just new trains and might get replaced with a magnetic launched coaster. They should keep the classic station though.

Now, I don't know that it is leaving but that is my guess as to why Monte might be one of the next coasters to leave if something is removed.

*IF* the rumors of removing monte are true, this would be my guess as to the reason why as well. Lack of support.

After doing many West Coast Bash tours of the ride, we know that there is already a need to custom make most or all the parts for the ride. But that's also the reason its still around. The flywheel system is incredibly simple, efficient, and easy to maintain.

Yes, its not necessarily cheap to make custom parts. However; my family owns a machine shop, so I know the general cost of making the types of parts, and the cost is relatively low. There is a reason the ride really never breaks down...

But, I don't work Knotts, or supply them with parts (yet). So only they know the true costs and if its worth keeping. It would seem to me though, it is.

Yeah...I'm sure what it amounts to (again, assuming the worst that the rumor is true) is that the cost to maintain the ride isn't worth it if the rides popularity has dwindled (based on whatever metric they use) and they decide they can replace it with something better.

Yeah...I'm sure what it amounts to (again, assuming the worst that the rumor is true) is that the cost to maintain the ride isn't worth it if the rides popularity has dwindled (based on whatever metric they use) and they decide they can replace it with something better.

However, I feel it would be hard to find a ride that would be as popular that would fit in that space.

"Popular" is a word that is hard to define since none of us are members of KBF management. They'd be the ones with the guest survey information or information on how many riders it gets each year.

That being said, again, assuming the rumor is true...I can promise you they have enough space for whatever it is they want to replace it with. That is what people get paid a lot of money to figure out for them. Using my amateur google earth skills, shuffling some things around in Camp Snoopy, using the backstage space behind Monte, and strategically placing footers/track on walkways/weaving through Jaguar could easily leave them enough room for a larger compact ride such as an El Loco, Premier Sky Rocket, Maurer Sohne Sky Loop, or S&S Freespin.