TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

The 2012 coaster was similar in scale (not layout) to Intiminator 305, but design problems with that ride combined with aesthetic concerns about a massive ride looming over much of the park killed the project.

In other, somewhat ironic news, the fire station behind the park burned down last week. Luckily no one was hurt and a new structure on LA Palma was already slated to start construction later this year.

I've always heard rumors of a giga/hyper at Knotts, but I never knew they were actually in the planning stages. I think the aesthetic concerns are overblown, especially with the way Silver Bullet looms over the front end of the park. SB opened in 2004 and that is the last major thrill coaster built at the park. Since 2017 is a smaller expenditure year with Sol Spin and the slide towers, I would love to see a giga/hyper at Knott's in 2018. There are no B&M hypers in the western US and the park is sorely missing an airtime machine. I know some people will say there's no space, but I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it work.

I've always heard rumors of a giga/hyper at Knotts. I think the aesthetic concerns are overblown, especially with the way Silver Bullet looms over the front end of the park.

And everyone complains about how Silver Bullet is an eyesore/doesn't belong where it does due to aesthetic reasons. So you want to add another coaster with the same, if not a bigger version of this problem?

I've always heard rumors of a giga/hyper at Knotts. I think the aesthetic concerns are overblown, especially with the way Silver Bullet looms over the front end of the park.

And everyone complains about how Silver Bullet is an eyesore/doesn't belong where it does due to aesthetic reasons. So you want to add another coaster with the same, if not a bigger version of this problem?

The only complaints I've ever heard about Silver Bullet's placement are on this forum. Not once I have ever heard someone complain about it at the park. Personally, I think it looks great looming over the front entrance like it does. The park already has several 200-300 foot attractions (Xcelerator, Sky Cabin, Supreme Scream), so adding another one wouldn't look out of place at all.

Crazy to think that between Knott's and SFMM, the former is more likely to receive a giga coaster. Even though SFMM would, IMO, benefit greater from having a giga, since they cater to a pure thrill seeking demo. Knott's has proven over the last decade that they dont need high thrill coasters to get patrons through the turnstiles. While SFMM's attendance trends downward or stays flat in the years they dont open major attractions.

Six Flags Inc. may want to pump the brakes on their miserly ways for a second and realize a giga at MM is worth the investment. You can't be the "thrill capital of the world" and have a park 60 miles south, known as a family park, have a ride bigger and badder than anything in your collection. I miss the days when Six Flags were braggarts and wanted to outdo everyone

I just think its odd that Knotts would push for a giga when I think something along the lines od the Intamin jr hyper would be a better fit for the park and provide a better/gp friendly experience.

While I personally loved i305, its my understanding the GP feel that its overly intemse and are a bit turned off by it.

I would love another full length coaster of some sort but with my luck they will probably remove Monte and replacing it with a Sky Scream typed launched coaster in the existing station. It might be cool but Knott's has enough low capacity rides.

I did stop by the park on Tuesday. There was a section of Ghostrider track missing before the lift. The left wheel's track and the layers of boards underneath had been stripped back. It also looked like there were several maintenance people below the track working on the supports. I didn't ask anyone when it would re-open.

The Calico Railroad was closed and the section of railroad track near the water tower had been removed and they were rebuilding the rail bed.

The log ride was closed but the rapids are back. I saw several people in completely soaked jeans getting off the rapids. Poor life decisions

Nothing really new at Wipeout, Sky Tower or Sol Spin sites.

IMG_20170117_133651.thumb.jpg.0f035b2d5ecb8b61ffa60ad1aa594198.jpg

future home of Sol Spin

IMG_20170117_134838.thumb.jpg.c286df0348b7f4842ba191de5a124247.jpg

Wipeout & Skytower

IMG_20170117_140435.thumb.jpg.ce3e41c0358ce412e4db6f6352ea95cc.jpg

Rapids back

IMG_20170117_140744.thumb.jpg.d30b5c33bbaff1be351526b54569c3b0.jpg

Zen spot

IMG_20170117_141048.thumb.jpg.71497904b75b3a6944d6baaa9b209fe1.jpg

Train track removed

IMG_20170117_141112.thumb.jpg.49e07537c6d9b0980922f3b53826a1e3.jpg

Train track removed

IMG_20170117_141349.thumb.jpg.ad549d12905ec856746f0ad04b44f24e.jpg

Train track removed by station and water tower

IMG_20170117_144135.thumb.jpg.ce27bf6100cf484933a018e6cfa8c2a2.jpg

Left side of track removed Ghostrider before lift

IMG_20170117_144148.thumb.jpg.313d39f720e55906e4cc216213c03bea.jpg

IMG_20170117_144151.thumb.jpg.e0c835b75f57de6a17d4caf863156ef3.jpg

^ I always liked walking by that spot beside the Rapids.

It's nicely done with the rockwork and all. And the Zen

Spot is lovely, too.

Thanks for sharing your visit there.

IMG_6936.JPG.90f34431b252ae530c51f034d47462cf.JPG

I was going to add, the Zen Spot "sort of" reminded me of my little backyard plot back home.

Much smaller pond, though. And no awesome coaster behind it, either. (o;

That sucks to hear Ghostrider is already down for maintenance, I'm going this Saturday and was hoping to ride the new version for the first time. Oh well I guess that's what I get for going during the off season.

According to the Knott's website, Ghostrider is down thru Feb 3rd and the log ride is down thru Feb 10th. The park typically does its annual ride maintenance in Jan and Feb, so there is usually one or two major rides down at a time during those months. It will be worth going back for the renovated Ghostrider, it's fast, smooth, and relentless. Without a MCBR, you just blow throw the course.

• 2 weeks later...
Will be there the day after Ghostrider should open up, so am really hoping they meet their deadline. First visit, coming from a long ways away.

Any tips for the area or park? Looking forward to visiting for the first time!

It might be a little busy since you're visiting on a Saturday but still much more manageable than anything in the summer season. I recommend heading to GhostRider first since that line will fill up quickly (even with two train ops, they are slow). Then head to the back of the park and get a couple laps on Xcelerator before that line fills up. Silver Bullet (if running two trains), Monte, and the other family rides should be manageable all day, except maybe Pony Express. Have fun!

Not sure anyone saw this, but Knott's (or VRStudios) teased some kind of new VR attraction they're partnering on that is set to open later this year. It sounded to me like it's sort of a laser tag/haunt maze kind of thing. I emailed the Knott's PR folks and they said there should be more details coming out in a few weeks.

http://www.coaster101.com/2017/02/01/knotts-vrstudios-project/

Always loved the old school yellow scheme...

Me too, although there is so much red/orange/yellow in the park, I would love to see them go with a darker color. But it really doesn't matter much... at least they're repainting it and hopefully disproving any rumors that it is leaving soon!

Dark brown. Like...uh....you know....

I mean, that IS it's name, right? Yes? Hmmm?

EDIT: I note that this is interesting to me, because this is the ONLY coaster I know of,

that's been named, after a human physical reaction, to drinking unfiltered water (at that

time) in another country. I mean, I haven't heard of an actual coaster called Vomit Comet, yes? No?

'Least we know Monte isn't going anywhere for a while

Hopefully. I recall them painting Perilous Plunge about a year before they scrapped it. I highly doubt Monte is leaving in the near future, but anything is possible with a high-maintenance Schwarzkopf approaching 40 years.

After reading California Coaster King's full article, it appears that the ride is returning to its original all-yellow scheme. I've never been a fan of single color schemes, but considering the area it's located in, it makes sense and is a nice throwback. Good stuff.

Adding on to this Montezooma's Revenge discussion, I highly doubt they'd remove Montezooma. It's takes up too little space, its too good of a ride, and its too much of a classic.

And going deeper into the classic part, Knott's has been showing a lot of love to their classics over the past few years, whether it be refurbishing the Timer Log Mountain Ride or the Calico Mine Train or re-energizing Ghost Town with Ghost Town Alive. In my opinion, restoring Montezooma to its original color scheme is basically a guarantee that Knott's loves their classics and all their classics are here to stay.

I recall them painting Perilous Plunge about a year before they scrapped it. I highly doubt Monte is leaving in the near future, but anything is possible with a high-maintenance Schwarzkopf approaching 40 years.

After reading California Coaster King's full article, it appears that the ride is returning to its original all-yellow scheme. I've never been a fan of single color schemes, but considering the area it's located in, it makes sense and is a nice throwback. Good stuff.

It's a last hurrah for all the nostalgically inclined. In other news, Coming to Dorney Park in 2018...

Adding on to this Montezooma's Revenge discussion, I highly doubt they'd remove Montezooma. It's takes up too little space, its too good of a ride, and its too much of a classic.

And going deeper into the classic part, Knott's has been showing a lot of love to their classics over the past few years, whether it be refurbishing the Timer Log Mountain Ride or the Calico Mine Train or re-energizing Ghost Town with Ghost Town Alive. In my opinion, restoring Montezooma to its original color scheme is basically a guarantee that Knott's loves their classics and all their classics are here to stay.

I recall them painting Perilous Plunge about a year before they scrapped it. I highly doubt Monte is leaving in the near future, but anything is possible with a high-maintenance Schwarzkopf approaching 40 years.

It's a last hurrah for all the nostalgically inclined. In other news, Coming to Dorney Park in 2018...