TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Awesome! So happy that Knotts is getting a Top Scan. I loved Samurai @ Lagoon and have always wanted more Top Scans to come to more parks. So having one come to Knotts for 2017 really makes me happy.

I heard a rumor that turned out to be true... Wipeout has closed and is being removed. Most likely to make way for the expanded Boardwalk Barbecue eatery / stage.

Just checked the website to confirm. The page is gone, so there goes another flat...

So as of 2017, Knott's has three main thrilling flat rides: Supreme Scream, La Revolución, and Sol Spin. They lost Windseeker, Screamin' Swing, Riptide, and now Wipeout in the last 4 years. I LOVE next year's addition, but I hope they continue to beef up their thrill ride collection before adding another major coaster.

I never particularly liked Wipeout anyway. It made my neck sore and was just an uncomfortable ride in general.

So as of 2017, Knott's has three main thrilling flat rides: Supreme Scream, La Revolución, and Sol Spin. They lost Windseeker, Screamin' Swing, Riptide, and now Wipeout in the last 4 years.

To be fair, you're being a bit selective here to exaggerate your point. In no universe is Wipeout a "thrilling flat", and if that qualifies as thrilling then you need to add rides like Dragon Swing, Surfside Gilders, Hat Dance and even Pacific Scrambler to the list of thrilling flats currently operating because they're all more thrilling than that borderline kiddy ride. I swear I never understood the affinity for Wipeout / Trabant style rides and if they all disappeared tomorrow I promise I wouldn't at any point even consider giving as much as a single, solitary sh*t.

I mean, your point is justified otherwise, but let's back up a little bit with Wipeout.

The announcement also says that they are extending the Boysenberry Festival to 23 days and adding a new BBQ restaurant next to Xcelerator. I have been really happy with the additions to the park over the last few years and 2017 is looking great as well.

I agree. Knott's has been smart with their yearly projects, focusing on the overall quality of the park instead of blowing their budget on a single attraction/coaster. Revitalizing Ghost Town, The Boardwalk, Camp Snoopy and increasing the food quality throughout the park has done wonders for them. I haven't even been to the Boysenberry Festival yet but I think I would fall in love with it.

Looking forward, I'm hoping to see a full refurb of Fiesta Village - It's my least favorite part of the park.

Sol Spin looks like a nice start!

The old Boardwalk BBQ is one of the oldest non Ghost Town buildings in the park. I think upgrading it was more necessity than "smart." Same with the previous Ghost Town enhancements. I'm also assuming they got quite a deal from Mondial given how the Windseeker saga played out.

However, it does work well for them. Carving out their niche in the market by bringing the charm back while still being reasonably priced (more expensive than SFMM, less than USH & Disney). I hope they can stick with that and still give us another big coaster...

I'll never be happy until they bring back Hammerhead

I loved Hammerhead, but I was devastated when they removed Tampico Tumbler. RIP

Don't forget Gran Slammer! Love that ride too along with Hammerhead! Unfortunately Tampico Tumbler was removed before I was tall enough to ride it!

Don't forget Gran Slammer! Love that ride too along with Hammerhead! Unfortunately Tampico Tumbler was removed before I was tall enough to ride it!

I loved Gran Slammer. That was always my first ride of the day. I miss that tradition.

Tampico Tumbler is the best flat ride that has ever existed!!!

I think I agree with you.

I like the ride. Glad they are looking at bringing more exciting flat rides. I hope the concept excluded a shade structure just to show the ride. Just putting up a purple fence in fiesta village is not a "theme". The village happens to be one of the better themed areas of the park, would be good to have it blend in with the surroundings.

The announcement also says that they are extending the Boysenberry Festival to 23 days and adding a new BBQ restaurant next to Xcelerator. I have been really happy with the additions to the park over the last few years and 2017 is looking great as well.

IMG_1890.JPG.00c5d461e3b4a798d973c261087195c0.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG.517f94cefb8c80fcd23976d12e8b3b93.JPG

More of this, woo hoo!

Just went to Knotts on Tuesday. We rode Ghostrider first. It's a much smoother since I last rode it. I guess the retracking has worked. But, the Calico Mine Train ride still is having problems with miners setting off explosions while the train is in the mine. They should seriously try to reinforce the mine as it is held up by rotting wood. The track should also be upgraded. I can't believe MSHA, Mine Safety and Health Administration has not shut that mine down yet. Too many close calls with explosions.

Just went to Knotts on Tuesday. We rode Ghostrider first. It's a much smoother since I last rode it. I guess the retracking has worked. But, the Calico Mine Train ride still is having problems with miners setting off explosions while the train is in the mine. They should seriously try to reinforce the mine as it is held up by rotting wood. The track should also be upgraded. I can't believe MSHA, Mine Safety and Health Administration has not shut that mine down yet. Too many close calls with explosions.

A+ review/trip-report

Wow, that was completely unexpected announcement! Sol Spin looks like a Mondial Top Scan, which is a really fun ride. I've only ever ridden one Top Scan at Lagoon in Utah and it was pretty crazy. I think the Top Scan at Lagoon is the only one in the U.S., so it's great to see another one installed. Knott's has been down a couple of flats since they removed Windseeker, Screaming Swing, and Riptide. I'm guessing that this will go in the old Windseeker spot since the announcement says it will be located in Fiesta Village.

Here's some detail and video of the Top Scan:

http://mondialrides.com/rides/transportable/top-scan

You're right, Lagoon's is the only park with one, BUT Carowinds will also be opening one next year too!

To add to this, there is at least one I know of traveling large fairs. My first Modial Top Scan was at the Georgia National Fair and it instantly became my favorite flat ever.

Looks like Knott's is getting a new thrill ride, SOL SPIN, in addition to the Soak City upgrades!

Sol-Spin-Concept-Art-Website-650px.jpg

Sol Spin will bring brand new hair-raising thrills to the Fiesta Village area of the park next season. The new ride will send brave guests on a thrilling topsy-turvy adventure over 6 stories high as they rotate in all directions on one of six spinning arms. Sol Spin will be the newest addition to the theme park’s world-class line up of more than 40 rides and attractions when it opens in spring 2017.

Full Story Here

Oh!! Like Samurai at Thorpe Park! It's going to be fun!

I had a problem on their tunnel of love ride. Put on my 3D glasses all prepared to make out and got attacked by underwater sea creatures. My cousin still won't touch me.

BTW... where's Wipeout? Removed from park and website but still on the park map.

Something I find interesting, it that I don't think Knott's really had many choices of what rides they could actually put here. Look at how the ride is anchored, it's not on the cement pad at all, its next to it. Remember, the Windseeker Pad is super thick, steel reinforced concrete. To try and dig into that, to put a center mounted ride would have been a massive undertaking for the park. So, it seems to me that they would only have looked at rides that don't use a center mount. Just a random observation.

Lol I think humans will be gone from the face of the planet before that footer EVER goes away. It will probably be there FOREVER! That thing is so massive, I think I remember it being poured they had a video stream up and it took them HOURS to fill it with concrete. However it is a shame that they couldn't put some other type of sky swing like the ones Six Flags has. I suppose this will have to do.

I also hope there's shade!

I'll never be happy until they bring back Hammerhead

I loved Hammerhead, but I was devastated when they removed Tampico Tumbler. RIP

I loved Tampico Tumbler too, it gave just the right amount of butterflies in your stomach. Also, didn't it go backwards as well? A very fun ride indeed.