TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

The problem with the Raptor track is it's only designed for a capacity of around 500-600 per hour (remember, it only seats 1 across). For a park like Knott's, that doesn't make much sense. T-Rex track I can see though.

Exactly, if Knott's gets a big new coaster, it needs to be something high capacity like a B&M hyper. The park already has too many low capacity coasters (Monte, Pony, Sierra, Xcelerator, Boomerang, etc). I will agree that Jaguar is a very lackluster coaster but it's still pretty popular among families. I just wish it had a 42" height requirement instead of being 48", that never made any sense to me at all. At the very least, they should make it 42" with an adult like they did for Sierra Sidewinder.

i waited half an hour for Jaguar when I was there. How about the reason Knott's has a bunch of family coasters is that familes are the target audience?

How many trains? Long ride+1 train=long wait for ride.

I honestly don't remember. The main point was that complaining about family coasters at Knott's is pretty stupid. Like complaining about too many dark rides at Disney or too many simulators at Universal. It's what they do.

The problem with the Raptor track is it's only designed for a capacity of around 500-600 per hour (remember, it only seats 1 across). For a park like Knott's, that doesn't make much sense. T-Rex track I can see though.

Exactly, if Knott's gets a big new coaster, it needs to be something high capacity like a B&M hyper. The park already has too many low capacity coasters (Monte, Pony, Sierra, Xcelerator, Boomerang, etc). I will agree that Jaguar is a very lackluster coaster but it's still pretty popular among families. I just wish it had a 42" height requirement instead of being 48", that never made any sense to me at all. At the very least, they should make it 42" with an adult like they did for Sierra Sidewinder.

it used to be i believe 42". i know there was a time when my nephew could ride it, then boom, he couldn't.

Well of course a B&M hyper will have high capacity, that goes without saying. I'm thinking more of aesthetics of the park, if Matt Ouimet didnt like the way Silver Bullet looks at the park (I agree with him) then a hyper or giga would be even more obstructive.

Plus Knott's doesn't need gigantic rides to get guests through the gate, they haven't added anything huge coaster wise since 2004 and they've done just fine.

Plus Knott's doesn't need gigantic rides to get guests through the gate, they haven't added anything huge coaster wise since 2004 and they've done just fine.

The problem is that SeaWorld, Legoland, Disneyland, DCA and Universal don't build the big coaster either and Magic Mountain has been on a slow run lately too. It is like when the arcades / pizza places decided they didn't want teenagers and replaced the pinball and video games with those prize ticket machines and kiddie rides. Everyone wants a family park because Disney got rich that way.

I would be incredibly disappointed if Knott's removed Montezooma's Revenge. It's understandable since the maintenance costs are higher for that ride than Xcelerator (and that's saying something), but it would still be a bummer. It's gonna go sooner than later, unfortunately.

How about refurbish Montezooma like Psyche Underground by giving it a new train and replacing the Flywheel launch with a Linear Motor launch?

* I do not know if Psyche at Walibi Belgium is better/worse than it was before the refurbishment

Montezooma's Revenge was my first ever inverted ride as a child, so it holds that special little place in me. It was down when I visited the park (for the first time in a few years). While riding Jaguar, it appeared a part of the track was missing? I wasn't sure if that was a maintenance related thing, or perhaps due to Fright Fest, etc.? Any insight on why it is/was down, or are my guesses nearly as good as anyone elses?

It really does not take up any room, so unless the upkeep is too much of a headache, I'd hate to see it go.

They seemed to be able to figure out Jaguar's and then Silver Bullet's route through the park,

so I don't see why they couldn't figure out a larger coaster weaving around and over Monte as well?

It would look like quite the configuration of coasters visually, too.

Montezooma's Revenge was my first ever inverted ride as a child, so it holds that special little place in me. It was down when I visited the park (for the first time in a few years). While riding Jaguar, it appeared a part of the track was missing? I wasn't sure if that was a maintenance related thing, or perhaps due to Fright Fest, etc.? Any insight on why it is/was down, or are my guesses nearly as good as anyone elses?

It really does not take up any room, so unless the upkeep is too much of a headache, I'd hate to see it go.

I saw on Instagram that a piece of track was temporarily removed for maintenance on the flywheel. At least that's all I hope it is...

They seemed to be able to figure out Jaguar's and then Silver Bullet's route through the park,

so I don't see why they couldn't figure out a larger coaster weaving around and over Monte as well?

It would look like quite the configuration of coasters visually, too.

Jaguar's layout didn't take much figuring out because there was already so much open space to work with back in the mid 90s.

As much as I love riding Bullet, it's not a great aesthetic. Especially if you remember what the park looked like before, it feels very shoe-horned in. The Cobra Roll at main gate is beautiful, but the flybys at Wagon Camp and Indian Trails are awkward.

Hey everyone, while browsing Knott's Berry Farm on Google maps after that incident on the raft ride in Australia yesterday, I noticed that Big Foot Rapids has been labeled "Permanently Closed" if you scroll over the ride with the birds eye view of the park. Does anyone know if the ride has been closed for an extended period of time, or if they're just doing maintenance?

It seems VERY odd to me this ride would be permanently closed without hearing something about it on here, especially considering how popular the ride is.

With the rumor on Montezuma's, and now this, physical pieces of my childhood seem to be closer and closer to disappearing permanently.

Also, I'm all for the park getting new rides, but IMO one of the biggest reasons Silver Bullet is so obtrusive and so dominating over the park is because it's a B&M. They go SO overboard with their beefy supports because of the 4-across seating. If we're going to get a new coaster at Knott's I would much prefer an Intamin, who is quite a bit better at scaling back on the huge supports, and huge track, making the rides much more pleasing to the eye in a park as small as Knott's.

Hey everyone, while browsing Knott's Berry Farm on Google maps after that incident on the raft ride in Australia yesterday, I noticed that Big Foot Rapids has been labeled "Permanently Closed" if you scroll over the ride with the birds eye view of the park. Does anyone know if the ride has been closed for an extended period of time, or if they're just doing maintenance?

It seems VERY odd to me this ride would be permanently closed without hearing something about it on here, especially considering how popular the ride is.

There are no rides currently listed as closed on the Knott's website right now and they are usually very good about listing ride closures. I am headed to the park this weekend, so I will check it out and see if it's closed. Bigfoot Rapids was made by Intamin, who did not make the rapids ride that had the accident in Australia, so I don't see any reason why it would be closed (other than annual maintenance).

Edited by VegasBaby

It is possible that Cedar Fair is being cautious until more is known about the accident, but KBF is usually pretty good about updating their website with schedule ride closures. So I doubt it.

Edited by Jew

It seems VERY odd to me this ride would be permanently closed without hearing something about it on here, especially considering how popular the ride is..

There you go, all fixed for you; I updated it:

"Success

Your edit to Bigfoot Rapids has been published. See your change. Note that some changes might take up to 24 hours before appearing on Google.

Thank you for improving Google Maps! Your insights make it a better, more useful map for everyone.

Bigfoot Rapids

8039 Beach Boulevard, Buena Park, California, United States

Your edit

Place is open

Edited on Oct 25, 2016 · Published

Thanks for your help,

The Google Maps team"

Made a quick trip to Knott's today to take advantage of off-season slow days and make the most of my dwindling 2016 pass. As predicted, the place was dead and everything was a walk-on except Ghost Rider (which was running only one train) and Sierra Sidewinder (which was only running part of one of the two trains on the track). Even though only two of the Ghost Rider station switchbacks were filled, it still took a good 30 minutes to get on. Dispatches were between 8 and 10 mins due to ride length, that bizarre multiple braking system, and ops / GP not quite being on their game. Sierra Sidewinder kept cycling one completely empty train and the ops were struggling to board people on the other one. Everything else was a walk-on and business as usual. Between 2pm and 4pm, I rode Ghost Rider once (still smooth; still a bit neutered), Silver Bullet twice (train was rattling like crazy), Supreme Scream twice (tame but always fun), La Revolucion twice (a ride I've seriously overlooked in the past), Montezooma twice (just in case they kill it), Xcelerator three times (because the station was completely empty), Coast Rider once (totally sluggish — was this ever any good?), and Sierra Sidewinder once (barely spun, thank dog).

After that, I spent a couple of hours testing out a new camera trying to catch some high-speed shots — which I failed at miserably. It's a new camera system (switched from an older DSLR to a high-speed focus mirrorless), so I've got some learning to do, but it was fun to practice on a quiet day and only feel like a partial creeper (I wish I had an invisibility cloak). Anyhow, here are a handful of the pics:

424226227_Knotts(10of19).jpg.d1f97b385534d8394aaf4892a385f6a3.jpg

I know I'm in the minority, but this is still my favorite B&M invert. A little rattly today though.

1875589805_Knotts(12of19).jpg.9a8b6b9bbd675685baff29e7e4c216c9.jpg

Didn't ride, but it's photogenic one.

1122283577_Knotts(13of19).jpg.40682db15fba57509d9c483f9f3b0cd7.jpg

Still my favorite of all the Accelerators that I've ridden.

633188966_Knotts(14of19).jpg.5f3e2aac9b1c9e498aee954130e080f4.jpg

Intense yet smooth from the start.

1952646474_Knotts(15of19).jpg.16d30c3e662f19a1c5a0884ff49220ab.jpg

Still a great coaster which hopefully will be around for some time.

1944121500_Knotts(16of19).jpg.7c1bb7b38ade972f55fbeef9d3f55baa.jpg

The best part of Silver Bullet?

819998427_Knotts(17of19).jpg.19db6158512ab3b6199690c4a646e19c.jpg

The most photogenic part of Silver Bullet?

1098785592_Knotts(18of19).jpg.7bff21c5c22b21426d97b0a0bebd5ba5.jpg

One of the few spots you can see Ghost Rider flying over a hill.

1749135373_Knotts(19of19).jpg.993586e46800511379bc644f5d840aa8.jpg

This was a zoom lens from the parking lot.

304723419_Knotts(2of19).jpg.58600a9313453ee63b7922a043285974.jpg

A few attempts as splash shots.

1932577986_Knotts(3of19).jpg.f53680b64580e8ee4b58d4effad850be.jpg

Which didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped.

239636907_Knotts(4of19).jpg.330cb3ec56ad31c3777270a24f947c6b.jpg

So, better luck next time.

985941874_Knotts(5of19).jpg.0cf86cff0d4596c84aebf77fe0c1d873.jpg

More Xcelerator.

1826163517_Knotts(6of19).jpg.3c462079ea18e6d59dffcc23c19e7eca.jpg

And Xcelerator from the Sky Cabin. The filthy windows act as a filter.

1081494437_Knotts(7of19).jpg.85f200ea3d424cd3c8f6a48f6d59723b.jpg

I usually hate spinning rides, but I love this. Even prefer it to Giant Frisbees as it feels more forceful.

936172434_Knotts(8of19).jpg.8b40456e446acb3702599b186549ce3d.jpg

Coming out of one of SB's surprisingly forceful moves.

1913856453_Knotts(9of19).jpg.eb7dca7167e4f8fdd95268d2100078d1.jpg

You could probably walk faster than the speed Jaguar takes this hill.

Long time SFMM and Disneyland pass holder, and solo park visitor, now going to take the plunge and get one for Knott's. Looking forward to off peak visits! The recent trip reports have got me excited.

A couple questions for the group if you would be so kind. I am going to get the Platinum, as that is the only one that covers parking, and I fully plan to visit more than the 6 times it takes to make it worth while. Is Knott's like SFMM, in that you show them your print out, and you get to park free on your initial visit? Also, how easy/hard is it to get your pass processed? Do they take pictures, or do fingerprint scan like SFMM (God I hope not!).

Thank you in advance. As much as I love SFMM, it is time for some variety! I have not been to Knott's in a couple years..and I honestly don't know why. I always have enjoyed it. + Portillos after!

PS...I am sure this has probably been answered before, so please forgive that. I am reasonably sure it has not been asked for a long time, as I have been following this thread for quite some time.

A couple questions for the group if you would be so kind. I am going to get the Platinum, as that is the only one that covers parking, and I fully plan to visit more than the 6 times it takes to make it worth while. Is Knott's like SFMM, in that you show them your print out, and you get to park free on your initial visit? Also, how easy/hard is it to get your pass processed? Do they take pictures, or do fingerprint scan like SFMM (God I hope not!).

I bought the Platinum Pass earlier in the year once I learned I'd also be visiting Cedar Point and Kings Island while on a work trip and I've visited Knotts enough times to make it more than worth the price. You do need to take a picture, but you can submit a picture online — in fact, that's the best way to do it. Once the picture is uploaded, it's the same process as SFMM — you scan your receipt at the parking lot and do the same at the front gate where they'll give you the pass. Prior to this year, I'd only visited Knotts for Halloween so the pass was a great opportunity to spend some time getting caught up there.

if you can't get the free parking without the pass first, you can always park in the marketplace parking for 2 hours free, then move your car after you get your pass processed. if you're planning to get the pass now and process on a weekday, they'll probably be waiting for you to walk it. lol no fingerprint scan, just a picture. which, i actually took with my webcam when i renewed this year. at least i think i did, or was that six flags?

portillo's after is always a good choice. did that a couple days ago myself.

portillo's after is always a good choice. did that a couple days ago myself.

I love Portillo's; it's a must every time I visit Chicago. I was very excited to learn that there was a Portillo's location just down the road from Knott's; that was a must on my visit there. Had to get my Chicago-style beef sandwich.