TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ Wow, thank you!

Btw, has anybody ridden this beast at night yet? Because as most of us know, that's when this coaster really comes alive!

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got in my first (hopefully of many) rides on the new GR this AM in the back row taking advantage of the early entry for Pass Holder event...I knew it was going to be good based on the trains coming back ahead of our ride and not one person holding their head or back or grimacing in pain...it was even better than I anticipated...fast, smooth, and a whole lot of fun...its been so long since I road this coaster and had fun and w/o some back pain induced jarring...my son had never ridden this coaster in its glory and could not believe we were riding the same coaster of the past few years...by the time we exited, the line was 2+ hours long so we were one and done today....but I cannot wait for ERT on this in September and hopefully a few night rides this summer which is next on the list...get out there and enjoy it....easily the best on the West coast again.

I don't think Knotts is doing anything with Xcelerator the ride just got some refurbishment or something and also it would be expensive to reprofile the whole ride

It would be cheaper than building a whole new coaster. They don't have any more room. If they want another coaster they'll have to remove something. Xcelerator's only real draw is the launch and top hat. Why not create a whole new coaster experience without really removing a current ride?

Also the recent refurbishment was just regularly scheduled maintenance that lasted a week. They just went through and replaced some worn out train and flywheel parts. They do it every couple years.

I agree. The hardest part of adding a new coaster at Knotts is finding the space for it. At this point they may have to remove something or just squeeze it in the middle of something

^Space is hardly an issue at Knott's. It has been said before, but look at places like Grona Lund or Blackpool.

The issue is that Rob Decker puts such an emphasis on place-making for new coasters at Cedar Fair parks, and since Knott's would have to take some extreme measures if they choose to add an 11th coaster, it would feel very out of place and turn into another Silver Bullet.

My guess is that if Knott's is going to add a new coaster at any point in the future, they will replace it with another. The Boomerang/Riptide area could definitely be a solid opportunity for that. Like everybody else, I'd love to see a new coaster at the park, but I think them beefing up their flat ride line-up is equally important as well after the removal of Windseeker, Screamin' Swing, and Riptide.

I have to wonder, hypothetically, if they could have kept the profiling extremely close to the original with topper track...and maybe increase that lift hill speed a few mph...

Still quite excited to check this out in July when I stop by for a few hours. Honestly Ghostrider is only thing that would get me back to Knotts after my awful two experiences last year and it looks pretty cool now. The biggest problem with this park is that it really doesn't have that "big KO coaster". Totally on board with a re-imagined Xcelerator because honestly the ride is pretty weak except for the launch and I'd argue the top hat could even be hit a lot faster too- my handful of rides got floater air at best all over the train- no excuse for less than Intamin ejector on a 200ft hill. I continue walking away from that ride thinking "man, it would be so much more badass with even a Storm Runner like layout after the top hat". Throw three extreme airtime hills, maybe a roll if necessary, you've got California's best coaster.

I think something like Gale Force would fit in perfectly at Knotts.

I don't want to bash on your opinion or idea, but here are my thoughts on that.

1. Knott's already has 3 launch coasters.

2. Knott's already has 2 shuttle coasters (unless they were to remove Boomerang for this).

3. Knott's has enough low-capacity coasters.

Realistically, something like Gale Force still wouldn't compare with Xcelerator, and it would just bring another low-capacity ride to the table.

In my opinion, if Knott's gets a new coaster sometime soon, it should be a people-eating B&M Hyper along the lines of Goliath at La Ronde, Hollywood Dream at USJ, or even Mako at SWO. It is something that the park (as well as the SoCal area) could really, really use.

I think something like Gale Force would fit in perfectly at Knotts.

I don't want to bash on your opinion or idea, but here are my thoughts on that.

1. Knott's already has 3 launch coasters.

2. Knott's already has 2 shuttle coasters (unless they were to remove Boomerang for this).

3. Knott's has enough low-capacity coasters.

Realistically, something like Gale Force still wouldn't compare with Xcelerator, and it would just bring another low-capacity ride to the table.

In my opinion, if Knott's gets a new coaster sometime soon, it should be a people-eating B&M Hyper along the lines of Goliath at La Ronde, Hollywood Dream at USJ, or even Mako at SWO. It is something that the park (as well as the SoCal area) could really, really use.

Oh I agree with that, and if they wanted they could totally make space with for a coaster like that. But the park has shown zero interested in added big coasters and I'm just not sure that is going to change anytime soon.

Hypothetically... Knotts is one of the top earners for Cedar Fair, and they don't have a huge steel speed coaster. What are the chances they could do like CW and send a huge ride out towards the parking lot?

Maybe they simply don't want one. Their attendance certainly isn't calling for it. Moves like a re invigorated Ghost Town and family attractions seem to be more successful at this park.

At least so far they've made a conscious choice to leave the big coasters to SFMM, and it's worked for them.

I rode GhostRider three times yesterday (silver front, gold back, silver back at night). Here's my review:

GhostRider feels a lot like the old ride before the MCBR came to a full stop, but smooth! Airtime is there, but floater at best (even for "the drop" in the back). I actually found there to be more airtime overall in the front, mainly due to the awesome second half. The mix of laterals and floater pops was really fun.

Pros:

- Smooth and comfortable everywhere

- Few more spots of airtime than I ever had before

- Second half is a ton of fun

- It's great to ride a coaster operating much closer to that full potential

- Trains are very comfortable

Cons:

- It's still got a few fairly slow parts

- Airtime is not very strong, even for GCI (still prefer Gold Striker and Thunderhead)

- I still wish RMC got their hands on this instead...

Here's my new wood top ten, for relativity:

1. Outlaw Run

2. El Toro

3. Boulder Dash

4. Phoenix

5. Goliath

6. Coaster, Playland

7. Gold Striker

8. Thunderhead

9. Tremors

10. GhostRider

Hypothetically... Knotts is one of the top earners for Cedar Fair, and they don't have a huge steel speed coaster. What are the chances they could do like CW and send a huge ride out towards and around and through the Knotts Berry Farm Hotel parking lot?

Fixed. It's a Las Vegas move, there.

And the prices for a room w/window view of the coaster whizzing by on it's track?

Killer prices I bet, like Blackpool's Big Blue Hotel.

1282000986_ResizeofE-02.jpg.ea1919203e98b780bd63a19955ee24fa.jpg

How much would you pay per night, for an awesome room view like this? TPR 2010 UK Tour.

Anyone go to the park today? I'm curious on how the lines are today and the next couple of days as I may go Thursday or soon during the week. Please share the wait times for GR etc if you are going this week.

Per Knott's app, Ghost Rider's line was approx 90 minutes all day on Monday and most of the other coasters averaged around 45 to 90 minutes.

I was there today.. ghostrider easily the longest line all day at about 2 hrs. I have only good things to say about this ride! I never got to ride it before the transformation but is a very competitive coaster in my wood coaster lineup. The second half is just insane, maybe even some mild ejector after the mid course.. Must ride in the back left!! Also I found the silver train to be running slower than the gold.

Curious question for those who visit this park often...Is this park manageable without a fast lane pass on a Friday in July?

It will be busy, however you should easily be able to ride everything in a full day. I just wouldn't expect multiple re-rides unless you get Fast Lane.

Although you'll be able to ride Monty as much as you'd like. That coaster is the hidden gem of the park and almost never has a line over 10 minutes, even on the busiest of days.

Dang! I just saw a POV of the Timber Mountain Log Ride, and it's freaking awesome-looking! I'm bummed I didn't ride it when i went there years ago (though, it was before the refurb, so maybe it wasn't as good.) I've always had a soft spot for flumes (not as soft as coasterbill's, but still not bad), and this one looks like the king! I will definitely be riding it next time I go!

Hypothetically... Knotts is one of the top earners for Cedar Fair, and they don't have a huge steel speed coaster. What are the chances they could do like CW and send a huge ride out towards the parking lot?

Maybe they simply don't want one. Their attendance certainly isn't calling for it. Moves like a re invigorated Ghost Town and family attractions seem to be more successful at this park.

At least so far they've made a conscious choice to leave the big coasters to SFMM, and it's worked for them.

I think your absolutely right. In the future I could really see them trying to become more of a family park. Better flat rides, better theming, more dark rides. Disney is so expensive these days, if Knotts added more family/dark rides, they could take all the people that can't afford Disney. I really like the direction their headed, and I think we will see them adding a lot more family coasters and dark ride. As much as I would like to see a hyper like Mako @ SWO, I don't think that its ever going to happen.

I think your absolutely right. In the future I could really see them trying to become more of a family park. Better flat rides, better theming, more dark rides. Disney is so expensive these days, if Knotts added more family/dark rides, they could take all the people that can't afford Disney. I really like the direction their headed, and I think we will see them adding a lot more family coasters and dark ride. As much as I would like to see a hyper like Mako @ SWO, I don't think that its ever going to happen.

It will only happen if they expand south into the parking lot. Otherwise where would the station go?