TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

That IPE wood GCI is using on the top two layers is more dense so it supposed to be able hold up a lot better than the traditional southern yellow pine. I imagine now though that when GR closes for maintenance work, it'll be down longer than used to be as that IPE wood takes longer to install.

I think it's Ipe

I know its been said before, but do you guys think they would get rid of silver bullet?

Silver Bullet isn't going anywhere. It's one of the most popular rides at the park and it's a capacity monster. In all my years of going to Knott's, I've never heard one person complain about Silver Bullet's location or aesthetics. Personally, I love how it towers over the entrance.

Soak City expansion coming next year!

About time they paid attention to the water park, I think the last addition was the Proslide Tornado back in 2006. I'd love to see one of those trap door slide towers that CF has been adding to other parks.

I wonder if the dry park will also be getting something in 2017? There's rumors of Boomerang closing down, but I can't imagine they'd take out a coaster without something to replace it.

About time they paid attention to the water park, I think the last addition was the Proslide Tornado back in 2006. I'd love to see one of those trap door slide towers that CF has been adding to other parks.

I wonder if the dry park will also be getting something in 2017? There's rumors of Boomerang closing down, but I can't imagine they'd take out a coaster without something to replace it.

I read a rumor awhile back on another site (can't find it now) that a park employee claims to have glimpsed plans in an office for some type of coaster in place of Boomerang and Riptide. This person said it was just an overhead layout of a long and narrow coaster that wrapped around Sky Cabin and appeared to loop out over the lagoon between Johnny Rocket's and Coast Rider. It also appeared to enter and exit a tunnel through the backside of Calico Mine Ride, but that could have just been the lighting.

According to Google Earth that space including the loop around Sky Cabin but not section over the lagoon is about 540 by 135 feet. The lagoon adds about 180 by 180 feet. That's 104,625 total square feet of area, some of it having to pass over walkways. Xcelerator by comparison is 76,600 sqft and Silver Bullet is 153,800 sqft. What kind if coaster would fit there?

I read a rumor awhile back on another site (can't find it now) that a park employee claims to have glimpsed plans in an office for some type of coaster in place of Boomerang and Riptide. This person said it was just an overhead layout of a long and narrow coaster that wrapped around Sky Cabin and appeared to loop out over the lagoon between Johnny Rocket's and Coast Rider. It also appeared to enter and exit a tunnel through the backside of Calico Mine Ride, but that could have just been the lighting.

According to Google Earth that space including the loop around Sky Cabin but not section over the lagoon is about 540 by 135 feet. The lagoon adds about 180 by 180 feet. That's 104,625 total square feet of area, some of it having to pass over walkways. Xcelerator by comparison is 76,600 sqft and Silver Bullet is 153,800 sqft. What kind if coaster would fit there?

A GCI could.

A GCI could.

Considering GhostRider is essentially a GCI now, I don't see this as very likely.

I'm stoked about a Soak City upgrade. That park definitely needs some new paint and maybe a drop capsule tower.

A GCI could.

Considering GhostRider is essentially a GCI now, I don't see this as very likely.

I'm stoked about a Soak City upgrade. That park definitely needs some new paint and maybe a drop capsule tower.

Worlds of Fun already has Prowler but they are still rebuilding Timber Wolf with GCI.

I was able to ride Ghostrider last night. The wait was about an hour which wasn't too bad. But it was actually well worth it. I remember riding it a few years ago & it was basically just not fun anymore. They did such a fantastic job with the refurb. The trains are super comfortable. And the second half of the ride is way more intense. Crazy laterals and some good airtime here and there. Looking forward to riding it some more now!

I don't know, I'm still not entirely impressed. It looks super smooth in some places but not as much in others. Maybe it's just the way the camera was mounted? But I guess I was hoping they would add some more reprofiling to the ride then they did. It's basically just the same exact ride rebuilt. Which people said was a good ride (originally) but it's not world class?

I don't know, I'll ride it eventually, but I'm just not as excited to try this as a RMC redo or anything new this year.

Ghostrider was a Top 10 woodie for the first 7-8 years of its existence, so if the rebuild is as good as the original ride, then I'd say it's world class. Ghostrider has always had a great layout, so there wasn't a need for extensive reprofiling. Nobody is expecting it to be as smooth as a RMC, but the rebuild should put it back among the top traditional woodies.

I don't know, I'm still not entirely impressed. It looks super smooth in some places but not as much in others. Maybe it's just the way the camera was mounted? But I guess I was hoping they would add some more reprofiling to the ride then they did. It's basically just the same exact ride rebuilt. Which people said was a good ride (originally) but it's not world class?

I don't know, I'll ride it eventually, but I'm just not as excited to try this as a RMC redo or anything new this year.

RMC redoes are completely new coasters so of course you'd be more excited, but restoring classic coasters to their former glory is a different story, like what they are doing to Hulk. If you liked it before then you can like it again. If you weren't impressed before then you probably won't be now. But I can't see how you could not like now if you liked it before. As for myself, I can love GR again now.

As for the re-profiling, when I was in SoCal a couple months ago I drove by Knott's to check out the progress (didn't get to visit this time but got to view the section outside the park) and it looked to be mainly tweaks here and there. I could see the old bolt holes and new cross beams where they either raised or lowered a track section to make a hump steeper or shallower and higher banks on the turns as if to smooth it out.

Which people said was a good ride (originally) but it's not world class?

It really was a great ride in its time. It has more classical allegiance than an RMC, but it was always far more intense and relentless than your standard woodie. Even at its roughest it was a must-ride largely because the layout was so good.

The only point where I can visibly see reprofiling is on the turn before the climb up to where the MCBR used to be. I'm guessing that the turn after the "hidden" drop got tweaked as well as the ride looks far more smooth now though. That was the section that really felt like the structure was shaking apart. Looking forward to riding it again soon!

There really wasn't a whole lot of modifications GCI could have made. They were really constricted by the tight space the ride is in. This wasn't like The Legend where they could come in and pour brand new foundations to rebuild the structure and shape the track their way.