TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

They will never add an extension on to xcelerator, how is this even a discussion?? Stop just stop already!

It's fun. It's called dreaming. It's the Xcelerator that always should have been. And don't say never. It's not uncalled for to alter old rides into new ones. Knott's has no room. If they want better coasters then something has to go. I say keep the best part of X Xcelerator and redo the crappy part. Kills two birds with one stone. Gives Knott's a new coaster while the same time not sacrificing the only part people care about.

They will never add an extension on to xcelerator, how is this even a discussion?? Stop just stop already!

It's fun. It's called dreaming. It's the Xcelerator that always should have been. And don't say never. It's not uncalled for to alter old rides into new ones. Knott's has no room. If they want better coasters then something has to go. I say keep the best part of X Xcelerator and redo the crappy part. Kills two birds with one stone. Gives Knott's a new coaster while the same time not sacrificing the only part people care about.

KBF has had "no room" for the past 20 years if you believe message boards...

Ghostrider soft opened today. What GCI has done with this coaster is simply amazing! Going back tomorrow to see if it's open again.

This is great news! Was it open all day or just for a few hours? I will try to stop by after work today to see if it's open

Met up with Braedon from Coaster-force, Randy from the FUNnelcake Blog, and Sean from California Coaster Kings yesterday and took 2 rides on Ghostrider last night. First train out in the very back row and then later in the first row. Would've liked to get more but operations were pretty slow due to some tinkering that still needs to be done with the ride system. One of motors for the transport system that helps guide the train back into the station wasn't working. So it was basically rolling in on gravity from the brake run until a transport wheel half-way through the station could grab the train and push it forward. A lot of times maintenance had to push the train in because it would stop part-way into the station before it would engage the transport wheel under the train. I was told the motor just isn't completely hooked up. I'm sure they probably took care of it after closing yesterday.

Anyways, the ride definitely runs a bit faster than it used to. We all know the mid-course brake run is gone, but even the first half of the ride seems a little faster. And when they say the mid-course brake is gone, they weren't joking. There aren't even brake mechanisms there anymore to use as a block. The second half really hauls and there is no way for them to slow it down ever again.

SMOOTH! The ride is so smooth! That very first turn at the bottom of the first drop is great and not rough at all. As soon as I made it through that first turn I knew I was in for a real treat. The laterals on the turns and especially the helix aren't painful anymore and are really fun for once. The helix is definitely faster and the banking hasn't really changed much so it is full of laterals.

The airtime isn't too much different from how it ran it's early years and obviously a vast improvement over recent years. The ride is full of floater air on every hill on the first half. Some great pops of air and a bit more forceful airtime on the second half (it's no twisted colossus though). I'm definitely a big fan of the small hill immediately following the drop out of the old mid-course brake section as it provides the most forceful pop of airtime followed by a great lateral moment as it curves to the left.

So yes! A smoother, faster, better Ghostrider! Really happy to see Ghostrider running like this. Definitely happy with the outcome. Everyone is going to love it.

^ Agree with all of this. The ride is as smooth now as Apocalypse was it's opening year as Terminator. Having ridden Boulder Dash after GCI overhauled that ride, this feels similar. A real return to what the ride was back in 2000!

Will it remain this way? Probably not. But for the next few years at least, I'm getting a season pass to ride this baby as much as possible!

i drove by about 30 minutes ago and was going to go in, but holy crap the parking lot was packed. 10-15 buses and a full main lot. they were originally parking north of the park but i drove thru to check out what was going on and went north on beach into the main lot. if it opens later, i knew i didn't want to wait in line anyway so i bailed home.

^Aside from losing four riders per train with the Millennium Flyers, I don't see capacity being affected much. To answer your question, yes, another train may be dispatched while one is on the track. But that train cannot disengage from the lift hill and go down the drop until the first train has cleared the first set of brakes on the final brake run. Essentially, it's set up like Silver Bullet, which runs two trains with ease.

It's so great to hear it's running well. After growing up with this park and riding GhostRider countless times in its "bad days", I cannot wait to experience what it was like when it first opened. Props to Knott's, Cedar Fair, and GCI! I hope it stays this way for years to come.

That drop after the turnaround above the station was for so long the BEST drop on any ride in Southern California. That thing YANKED you out of the seat, and the pull out of the drop would actually kind of hurt because collectively your ass and the trains wheels would come down on the track and seat at the same time. Glad to hear its back to its glory days. I am probably going to wait for a day during the week so it's not too busy and pay for admission just to get a couple laps while it's still fresh and new.

i got a back seat ride in tonight. fun ride, pretty much the way i remember it. best woodie in california? i'd say so. rode goldstriker last week for the first time. i think i was expecting more. i definitely prefer ghostrider.

new wood coaster smooth is what i'd call it. not RMC smooth. the second half felt a bit slower than what i was hoping for. but i'm sure it's probably the same. anyway, i'm glad knott's is back to having another solid ride. can't wait to marathon it during the off season.

It's so great to hear it's running well. After growing up with this park and riding GhostRider countless times in its "bad days", I cannot wait to experience what it was like when it first opened. Props to Knott's, Cedar Fair, and GCI! I hope it stays this way for years to come.

Even when it new GR wasn't particularly smooth. I've never been a big fan of PTC trains.

Went out yesterday to brave the crowds and waited 2 hours and 15 min to ride it. Worth every minute!!! It was my son's first wooden roller coaster, and he loved it. I must say, it has never felt faster and smoother. I was so giddy when I got off and I can't wait for the off season to come so I can get in some good quality riding. Ghostrider is back as a world class roller coaster!

Went yesterday and was told they would do a soft opening around 2 pm. We decided to head over around 1:45 and got in line. Less than an hour and it was so very worth the wait! The trains are amazing and much more comfortable. GCI did an amazing job retracking it and it did not disappoint. It had every bit of force that the opening reminding me of the original, just much more comfortable. No jerking or being thrown around at all, with still having the out of control feeling we all love with woodys.

I went last night before closing and waited 90 minutes to ride. And it was well worth it! They really hit it out of the park with Ghostrider. I rode in the front row and there was plenty of airtime and good laterals. I'll be back next weekend to ride it in the back which I think will be the best row on this coaster. Good job Knott's! Hopefully the smoothness lasts a long time.