TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Stopped by Knott's for a few minutes yesterday afternoon when I was driving home and saw them cycling empty trains on GhostRider from Beach Blvd. Caught a few videos and thought I'd share because this thing is looking GOOD.

Apparently they were testing it for a few hours yesterday like this, dispatching trains about every 2-3 minutes. I figure this bodes well for a soft opening soon.

Quicktime, whoa. Haven't seen that dinosaur in a long time. Too bad I can't watch them because Chrome doesn't support Quicktime anymore.

I don't know if you guys are still debating KBF's attendance numbers but Themes Entertainment Association reported it as 3,867,000

http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_160_611852_160525.pdf

My Xcelerator redesign. Launch. Top hat. Drop. Giant cobra roll. Overbanked turn. Corkscrew thingie ending in a dive loop. Overbanked turn into a giant helix. Brake run.

I don't think there's enough room for the cobra roll or final break run, but I like where your head's at. It would be great if KBF attempted an xcelerator 2.0. It makes sense in the limited space to create substantial new rides but also that there's an infinite number of ways they could improve it. I just doubt it will ever happen :/

Stopped by Knott's for a few minutes yesterday afternoon when I was driving home and saw them cycling empty trains on GhostRider from Beach Blvd. Caught a few videos and thought I'd share because this thing is looking GOOD.

Apparently they were testing it for a few hours yesterday like this, dispatching trains about every 2-3 minutes. I figure this bodes well for a soft opening soon.

Quicktime, whoa. Haven't seen that dinosaur in a long time. Too bad I can't watch them because Chrome doesn't support Quicktime anymore.

You've not been to the Dollywood thread, have you?

My Xcelerator redesign. Launch. Top hat. Drop. Giant cobra roll. Overbanked turn. Corkscrew thingie ending in a dive loop. Overbanked turn into a giant helix. Brake run.

I don't think there's enough room for the cobra roll or final break run, but I like where your head's at. It would be great if KBF attempted an xcelerator 2.0. It makes sense in the limited space to create substantial new rides but also that there's an infinite number of ways they could improve it. I just doubt it will ever happen :/

You are looking at a 2D representation of a 3D layout. Most of that Cobra Roll is more vertical than I drew it. I figure probably around 150 feet tall. As for the brake run, the current one is over 100 feet long because the train is still traveling 67mph when train hits it. My redesign utilizes all that wasted speed. The train is probably closer to 40mph after it goes through all the new elements. But I understand what your saying. My original though was to leave the current brake run and have an Immelmman after the first drop that shoots the train out over the midway and the cobra roll wrapped around Sky Tower. It's still a work in progress.

You've not been to the Dollywood thread, have you?

no

^ Hmmm. My guess on why not, is that if they did decide to take down

Supreme Scream, they'd have to close the coaster too, for safety?

Just a guess, here.

Edited by Nrthwnd

That would be my guess as well. It would have likely been a large undertaking to fit it all in.

And I'm sure it wasn't cheap since it was the prototype?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Knotts is doing anything with Xcelerator the ride just got some refurbishment or something and also it would be expensive to reprofile the whole ride

It would be cheaper than building a whole new coaster. They don't have any more room. If they want another coaster they'll have to remove something. Xcelerator's only real draw is the launch and top hat. Why not create a whole new coaster experience without really removing a current ride?

Also the recent refurbishment was just regularly scheduled maintenance that lasted a week. They just went through and replaced some worn out train and flywheel parts. They do it every couple years.

Edited by coloradocoasterguy

^Of course it depends on what kind of coaster, but there is alwasy possible to find room for certain types of rollercoasters.

I'm sure people said the same about Gröna Lund when it looked like this 15 years ago...

Clipboard02.jpg.df3db52977e7a077678d71ff5af9fe8a.jpg

I would really love to see this happen, but I doubt they are touching that ride anytime soon beside paint, if they even do that.

I would really love to see this happen, but I doubt they are touching that ride anytime soon beside paint, if they even do that.

My first thought was "where would the transfer track go?", but my second thought was "wait, this whole thing is stupid. My first thought is already thinking way too far into this."

Now I'm stuck on that second thought.

Also aren't there several, "across the street" land plots owned by Knott's?

Yes, they own lots of land surrounding the park. Whether any of that land is usable for Theme Park development isn't really know for sure. And there are also the Nimby Neighbors who could prevent development.