TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Dude, I'm all for old nostalgic rides, but Windjammer was boring, painful, and a terrible coaster, even when I was 10 years old.

How TOGO swindled Knott's into investing in this type of crap ride is beyond me. I mean, who puts a flat turn and brake run after the loop of a ride? The racing aspect was barely cool when it worked, and overall the ride was garbage. It was like a wild mouse with a loop. And then after a couple years they didn't even race them anymore.

I'm not FOR old coaster companies going out of business, but holy crap it's a blessing that TOGO is gone because all I've ever seen or ridden from TOGO was badly designed boring rides that would never be able to stand the test of time like B&M, Intamin, or RMC.

The Ultra Twisters, Bandit, and Fujiyama are all enjoyable. Just seems like TOGO had bad luck in the U.S.

I also wouldn't say it was Knott's being "swindled." Keep in mind back then the park was still under the ownership of the Knott's family and Vekoma was pretty much the only option for cheaper/thrilling coasters. Assuming someone representing the Knott family traveled to Japan to ride the good TOGO's, I'm sure for the price they paid it seemed like a good deal.

Side note, if you google Windjammer, you can find an article with this gem of a quote:

Robb Alvey, an aficionado who maintains an Internet site with theme park reviews, said Windjammer was originally hailed as a much-needed "signature" ride at Knott's.

Billed as a "looping steel racing coaster," with trains operating side-by-side on separate yellow and red tracks, it was a disappointment from the beginning, Alvey said.

"It looked really pretty," Alvey said. "But it was not thrilling, and they never really raced the trains side by side. And it beat you up--you bashed your head back and forth constantly against the restraints."

^I'd add Surf Coaster at Yokohama to that list. It was my first ever Togo so I was expecting the worst but it was a lot of fun. Fujiyama as my second was kind of meh though, but maybe that's because it was the last I did out of Fuji's big 4.

I had a bit of a soft spot for Windjammer too. It had a home-made feel to it that I kind of dug, but then again, I'm one of the few people who liked Flashback at Magic Mountain as well.

Me too. And WJ had promise. Maybe if each train only had one car (like a Euro-fighter) instead of two it might have worked better.

^I'd add Surf Coaster at Yokohama to that list. It was my first ever Togo so I was expecting the worst but it was a lot of fun. Fujiyama as my second was kind of meh though, but maybe that's because it was the last I did out of Fuji's big 4.

I agree that Surf Coaster is one of Togo's better rides. Mega Coaster, at Hamanako Pal Pal in Japan, was a shockingly good Togo coaster (at least back in 2007 when rode it with TPR) because even though it was pretty much the same layout as Vegas's much-reviled Manhattan Express, it was pretty smooth and didn't beat you to death.

Windjammer, however, was just awful--although my nephew Luke liked it when he was a kid.

Edited by cfc

This is my dream Knott's Berry Farm expansion project. It's still a work in progress of course. Oh, and if anyone is wondering Independence Hall has been moved brick by brick and rebuilt inside the park as part of the new Colonial themed entrance.

WAIT till I've stayed at the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel (in September), before you demolish it all for future HEXpansion!

Knotts1963a.JPG.fafbaadb6069b63fbc9cf3b5e0109c2a.JPG

Knott's Berry Farm - 1963 - Me and My Best Buddy...Spot.

This is my dream Knott's Berry Farm expansion project. It's still a work in progress of course. Oh, and if anyone is wondering Independence Hall has been moved brick by brick and rebuilt inside the park as part of the new Colonial themed entrance.

WAIT till I've stayed at the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel (in September), before you demolish it all for future HEXpansion!

But I'm building you a better one

HEXpansion?

It's still an older radisson with new paint and newer furnishings. Small rooms, thin walls, no real amenities besides its location.

Would love to see them give it the Hotel Breaker treatment and basically re-build the entire interior.

It's still an older radisson with new paint and newer furnishings. Small rooms, thin walls, no real amenities besides its location.

Would love to see them give it the Hotel Breaker treatment and basically re-build the entire interior.

Did you know that it was built in 1974 as the Buena Park Hotel as one of the premier hotels in north Orange County. It eventually began to deteriorate and show its age and the owners couldn't afford to bring it back to its former glory. In 1998 CF gave the owners of the hotel an offer they couldn't refuse. CF brought it up to Radisson standards, which was still a few steps below where it used to be. The irony is that those previous owners finally had the money they needed. They bought an aging hotel up the street and turned it into one of the better hotels around the park.

Did you know that it was built in 1974 as the Buena Park Hotel as one of the premier hotels in north Orange County. It eventually began to deteriorate and show its age and the owners couldn't afford to bring it back to its former glory. In 1998 CF gave the owners of the hotel an offer they couldn't refuse. CF brought it up to Radisson standards, which was still a few steps below where it used to be. The irony is that those previous owners finally had the money they needed. They bought an aging hotel up the street and turned it into one of the better hotels around the park.

Didn't know that, but it sure feels like CF hasn't much love into it since 1998 aside from new TV's in the rooms and the switchover to Amber Waves.

Didn't know that, but it sure feels like CF hasn't much love into it since 1998 aside from new TV's in the rooms and the switchover to Amber Waves.

I was so disappointed that there were no photos of Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights hanging in the restaurant.