TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I went to Knott's on Monday and took a few shots while walking around the park.

2126186601_2016-04-0409_58_03.thumb.jpg.c1ae705f5c6d3a1906bd0634f9960072.jpg

From Marketplace parking lot

1634386385_2016-04-0409_58_28.thumb.jpg.06b6e30a9e7eeeeadf70380ef73dd795.jpg

Top and side rails are being added to more of the track.

853955538_2016-04-0409_58_43.thumb.jpg.182a885a6efa12105e0f044467a8af17.jpg

Top and side rails are being added to more of the track.

1794394642_2016-04-0410_10_02.thumb.jpg.1ab71591d24c5cdbc20fc1668c66085f.jpg

Flying swings being put back together

1665979818_2016-04-0410_10_13.thumb.jpg.0ff6742f60f75304983be5b584f03e67.jpg

Exterior cladding

1171461562_2016-04-0410_21_13.thumb.jpg.0caea274ea873eaa925a552f67b29c8e.jpg

I miss you Flippy Ride!

1240833512_2016-04-0410_48_32.thumb.jpg.cdb6e745b05febf02339aa9cbda7ea04.jpg

Stage construction

Is Gold Striker at Great America still smooth? I watched the Theme Park Review video and it appears to have the exact same track structure and trains. I think we are just getting a magnetic brake upgrade.

According to a trip report (not from TPR) that I read on CGA's opening day, Gold Striker is still just as smooth as ever this season. Hopefully that is good news for GhostRider after at least 3 years of operation.

And this upgrade is MUCH more than just magnetic brakes!

Is Gold Striker at Great America still smooth? I watched the Theme Park Review video and it appears to have the exact same track structure and trains. I think we are just getting a magnetic brake upgrade.

I was able to ride twice in a row during the recent Halloween haunt. It's just as great as when it opened. Zipping through the ride at night with that long tunnel and many walls added a lot of excitement. I'm glad the Bay Area is able to keep two of my favorite woodies in great shape (the other being Giant Dipper).

Why wouldn't it be? Gold Striker is only 3 years old.

California weather seems to really zap the wooden coasters pretty hard.

Drying the structure and tracks out faster, than is 'usual' for such a thing to happen.

That's quite a renovation schedule to follow, considering a lot of other coasters in the

States don't have that short a "good time period." Longer than 3 years, anyway.

IMhO.

BoysenberryHatKnotts2016.jpg.7be85c374f9c50dc3bb63ca8fc0cc3db.jpg

I still want this hat! Hoping it's around in Sept. Thanks to Caesar for the pic. He didn't buy it. (o;

Fun write-up about the new stunt show coming to Wagon Camp as part of Ghost Town Alive.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stunt-711539-knott-performers.html

I'm pretty sure they meant to say it was a 17 foot high fall, not 70.

I'm glad they are redoing the stunt show as part of the Ghost Town makeover. The old show was fun, but it had gotten stale after seeing it so many times. The article mentioned a 70 foot fall twice, so I sure hope it's a 70 foot fall as that would be awesome to see!

Yeah there's no way it's going to be a 70-foot fall. The Charles M Schulz theatre is maybe 30 feet from stage to ceiling (where the auditions were) and the Wagon Camp's old tower was probably 25 feet from the roof. Unless they're building a new tower higher than Silver Bullet's barrel roll I'm pretty sure it's a typo.

Fun write-up about the new stunt show coming to Wagon Camp as part of Ghost Town Alive.

I'm glad they are redoing the stunt show as part of the Ghost Town makeover. The old show was fun, but it had gotten stale after seeing it so many times. The article mentioned a 70 foot fall twice, so I sure hope it's a 70 foot fall as that would be awesome to see!

It's 100% not a 70 foot fall. The new set is already framed out and it looks like the top level is about 20-25 feet.

Any "single rider" attractions in this park?

What do you mean?

He means rides where there is a single rider line. As a previous poster said, there are none at Knott's.

West Coast Bash in September will take care of that little problem, on it's weekend day (11th).

Why wouldn't it be? Gold Striker is only 3 years old.

It also depends on the park within the chain. Generally speaking, CF parks have better maintenance all around, but Six Flags can be spotty at best. That doesn't Ghost Rider can't deterioate. I'm sure that with Knott's being open year round, it'll be more of a challenge for them than their nothern neighbors. Then again, after this investment, I am lead to believe that they will be fine.

GCI from what I've gathered are very climate sensitive. Not all are rough or turn to crap.

Personally, I believe that any kind of coaster built in California, especially from

San Francisco, on down to San Diego, with the intense sun and dry heat, it's a

challenge to whoever builds one of these, especially the wooden ones. And the

upkeep is probably much more, and more often than others, farther east.

And actually, for the steel ones, it's always/usually the paint job. It fades so much

faster than I have seen with other regional coasters, like those in the midwest, northeast, etc.

My observation. (Go, Go Revolution 2! Ride you in Sept. too!)

^I sort of got after that. However, its the extreme difference of the GCIs that leads me to say they're particually sensitive to extreme heat and extreme humidity. Most anywhere else they run very well if they've had MFs since opening.

^I sort of got after that. However, its the extreme difference of the GCIs that leads me to say they're particually sensitive to extreme heat and extreme humidity. Most anywhere else they run very well if they've had MFs since opening.

^ I'm not following that much, but now that you've brought it up, that does add more

to the "maintenance/upkeep scheduling" that needs to be done, to keep these things up to snuff.

It's 100% not a 70 foot fall. The new set is already framed out and it looks like the top level is about 20-25 feet.

Could it be similar to the old wild west stunt show at USH where the performer "fell" into a well?

The old show had both a well fall and a high fall, so I imagine they would continue to be two separate things. Looking into the venue from the gates, it looks like the well is staying put and the high fall tower is more or less in the same spot as the old one.