TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^^ I actually have seen Xcelerator go 60-70 second dispatches with 2 trains running. However, seeing dispatches that quick are rare, and having two trains running is even more rare. In fact, it so rarely runs both trains that some people are unaware that it can even run two trains.

Xcelerator pretty much only runs one train now. In fact, I haven't seen it run two trains in years. Last time we visited the park, I timed the dispatches and they averaged 2.5-3 minutes, which means the actual capacity is somewhere between 400-500 PPH.

^^ I actually have seen Xcelerator go 60-70 second dispatches with 2 trains running. However, seeing dispatches that quick are rare, and having two trains running is even more rare. In fact, it so rarely runs both trains that some people are unaware that it can even run two trains.

Xcelerator pretty much only runs one train now. In fact, I haven't seen it run two trains in years. Last time we visited the park, I timed the dispatches and they averaged 2.5-3 minutes, which means the actual capacity is somewhere between 400-500 PPH.

Exactly. 500 pph is actually moving pretty quickly... no guest assistance passes, guests moving quickly with their loose items, no height checks, and every seat filled. The ride cycle is 70 seconds from launch to park, reloading and checking takes between 60 and 90 seconds, depending on guests. 400 is more real world average.

It's funny to see how ride capacity usually varies so wildly from theoretical to real world. Silver Bullet's theoretical is 1,280 pph (dispatch every 90 seconds, 40 trains per hour, every seat full). But I can tell you from experience that regular operation is 25-28 trains per hour, and 30-32 if the crew is really on top of it and that guests cooperate. 750-800 pph is pretty average, 900 is exceptional.

Our trip to the US this year unfortunately co-incides with Spring Break (the week before Easter).

Is it worth purchasing the Fast Lane pass now, or just wait until we get there and play it by ear? Looking at going either the Good Friday or Easter Saturday.

Same question would pretty much apply to the other parks we intend visiting (such as Magic Mountain on the Wednesday).

Trip planning help please!

We're thinking of going to LA and staying at the KBF hotel. Our flight would arrive at 8:30 PM on a night when Pacific Park is open until midnight. So I'm wondering how feasible that would be.

- How long would it take to get a rental car and drive to Santa Monica Pier? Google says 45 minutes, but I'd like a local perspective, having heard horrible things about LA traffic.

- How long would it take to get from Santa Monica Pier to KBF? Again, Google says an hour, but how accurate is that?

- How long would it take to get a rental car and drive to Santa Monica Pier? Google says 45 minutes, but I'd like a local perspective, having heard horrible things about LA traffic.

- How long would it take to get from Santa Monica Pier to KBF? Again, Google says an hour, but how accurate is that?

1 - 45 minutes during rush hour, maybe. The Santa Monica Pier is like right next to LAX, 9 miles north. Google gives estimate based on current traffic. I'd say if you're just landing at 8:30, you won't be in a car until 9:30 at the earliest, you'll be perfectly capable of getting to the pier quickly.

2 - Yeah, that's pretty accurate. You're getting off easy at an hour, as well. It took me two hours going the opposite direction back in 2014 midday.

^^At 9-9:30ish, you should have no problem getting from LAX to the pier in less than a half hour. Park on the pier and you're 5 minutes from your first ride. Hit up Bravo Pizzaria & Deli on Main. (open till 3:30am) Then head South when you're done. At that late hour you should have no problem getting to Knott's within an hour.

I think you have to find where the Rental company shuttle bus stop is outside your terminal, then catch the bus to the Alamo/National depot up the road. At least that's what I have to do, but i come in via International. Locals can correct me if I'm wrong

^

Well, I've flown out of O'Hare many times, and it can't possibly have a worse configuration than that one. I don't know the arrival gate yet, but where is the Alamo desk?

Agreed. O'Hare is the pinnacle of horrible airports.

Correct. Walk to baggage claim. Walk across to first landing. Look for rental car shuttle sign overhead. Alamo (I rent from them at least once a month) runs their shuttles nonstop. Should not wait more than a few minutes. No need to call.

The shuttle can take a little bit of time to get to the pick up. I've rented from Alamo a ton at LAX, and the average for me was about 30 minutes (from the southwest terminal). The farther down your terminal is, the better. A few times it has taken an hour from the time we got on the bus, to the time we got off. Even then, you should still have plenty of time.