TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ I really didn't know that. Having never seen a control panel, I think I'd just assumed they said warning or caution or something similar. Trouble does seem a much nicer word though, now I just need to see a control panel that says "making mischief" instead.

Well the more you know.....

Xcelerator's PLC Panelview is located in the PLC room down by the queue so the operator panels only have a trouble light on them to alert the operators that maintenance needs to be called and then the maintenance personnel will determine what exactly pissed the PLC off by looking at the fault code/description on the Panelview. Any other questions, let me know.

That's why I like our GIB. We can see exactly what (didn't) happen immediately. The others, not so much.

A lot of older rides (up until around 2005) are set up like that. A display on the control panel was though of as a premium item that was an unnecessary cost, since touchscreen technology was still in its infancy and expensive, so they were only installed on the control cabinet itself for technical personal to look at. Since then the technology has gotten much better and cheaper, so it's the industry standard now for any big ride.

Xcelerator got stuck on the top hat for a couple hours today. It had come down by the time I got there, but I guess the wind and cold and moisture during morning testing got the best of it. A big gust gave it enough of a jolt to knock it off balance so it could come back. I got sent a video Snap Chat, but couldn't save it and the picture doesn't really let you see what's happening.

My XC operating days were filled with watching the trains stall on the top hat for 10-15 seconds. My favorite thing to do was launch a train that had been sitting in the waiting block during a downpour. Watching all of the water dump out of the train is fantastic.

I'm an RO at Supreme :3

I'm an RO at Supreme :3

How do you like it? Supreme was my 1st attraction as well.

It should be dead on Tuesday right? Kind of curious about the wind. If there is any do they close XC ?

Yes, Tuesday will be dead. You should have no more than a 2-3 train wait (If even that)for most of the majors. XC won't close unless it's above 35mph I believe.

Yeah, they'll probably split the trains up in the chain for parts. It's not the first time they've done this, Double Loop and Orient Express are the first that come to mind. I even heard that a couple of the old Hercules cars were shipped over to Michigan's Adventure years after it was torn down for parts.

Or even what I can imagine them doing, moving them up to CA Great America to replace the crappy Morgan trains on Grizzly. That could also be a very feasible possibility.

Yeah, they'll probably split the trains up in the chain for parts. It's not the first time they've done this, Double Loop and Orient Express are the first that come to mind. I even heard that a couple of the old Hercules cars were shipped over to Michigan's Adventure years after it was torn down for parts.

Or even what I can imagine them doing, moving them up to CA Great America to replace the crappy Morgan trains on Grizzly. That could also be a very feasible possibility.

Where were the trains for Orient Express moved to? I'm curious as WOF is one of my home parks. Damn, I miss that ride!

Where were the trains for Orient Express moved to? I'm curious as WOF is one of my home parks. Damn, I miss that ride!

Essentially every pre-Paramount park that had an Arrow looper in the chain received a part of Orient Express. I did hear something that a full 6-car train was in storage for Michigan's Adventure so their Corkscrew could be upgraded to a 2-train operation, but that plan has long been scrapped and the train has been parted out.

Depending on the parts that were handed out, they're all essentially replaceable. Unless someone was given a chassis, the trains are still reusable in some shape or form. PTC trains are extremely modular and all of the parts can be replaced, hence why most PTC trains are still in operation 40+ years after being built.

I'll be in California this weekend, and I was planning on spending Friday at Knott's. Is it worth the $55 for the Fast Lane Pass, or will it not be crowded enough this Friday for me to need it?

I was there last Friday and lines were 20 minutes for log ride and 10 minutes for all of the coasters. People will be in school on Friday so it should be pretty dead. I would not spend the money for it. I attached a picture for the line for Xcelerator and them having to evac us from Sierra Sidewinder after it broke down as my first coaster of the year.

20160205_130928.thumb.jpg.dfff49c1de1daff83d4b9573a8cb4525.jpg

Xcelerator line around 1 pm on Friday

20160205_115521.thumb.jpg.c3a3e413e9d90618468161028cd03485.jpg

Sierra Sidewinder evac at break run

Hearing rumors that 'Riptide' is now officially kaput. Like many of it's counterparts, the HUSS attraction was very difficult and costly to maintain. Some park chains have told me they've spent millions of dollars trying to rehab them only to have them fail a short time later.

The attraction has also been removed from their website.

^That's a bummer. I really hope Knott's replenishes their flat ride line-up soon after the removal of Windseeker, Screamin' Swing, and now this.

I liked Riptide, but I understand why it's going.

"

Agreed, I'd love to see them add a Zamperla Air Race or a Disk'O.

I love Air Race flats! Especially after seeing the great looking one that was built at Tivoli Gardens!!

Maybe different colors to match the boardwalk better. But the design and elevated platform are great!!

AirRace.thumb.jpg.190596f7d6af1624bdc79f45a1853255.jpg

Or, if they placed it over where Wind seeker was, they could add seating back to that area under the ride.

I love Air Race flats! Especially after seeing the great looking one that was built at Tivoli Gardens!!

[attachment=0]AirRace.jpg[/attachment]

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, I love air races too, but this one shown, unless my eyes are deceiving me, shows a 4 seat passenger car. Is this one the first to offer a 4 passenger car, I've never seen one with this set up before.