TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

For those that remember me posting quite a few pages back about them using a different type of wood for the track layers, here's proof. This image perfectly shows the 2 new track layers that have been added using the different type of wood that was used on Shivering Timber's helix retracking last year. Not sure what kind of wood it is, but it's certainly not your standard yellow pine like what's used on everything else.

looks like it might be used in high stress areas cause its not ever where.

Visited the park back on January 11th, a monday, for the first time ever. Overall a pretty mediocre experience other than hitting #300 on the Sierra Sidewinder!

Timber Mountain Log Flume, Calico Railroad, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Ghostrider all closed, Voyage to the Iron Reef breaking down each time we got near it (thankfully we got 1 morning ride in), and all coasters other than Coast Rider running 1 train probably added an hour or more to our visit of waiting.

Oh and we did try Chicken Dinner to go in the marketplace, it was literally my worst meal of 2016 so far. One of my chicken pieces was extremely salty, they used Smuckers for some reason as their jam choice (wtf Knott's?), and the "biscuits" were burned/bitter...maybe the worst I have ever eaten.

Really did enjoy the ghost town area, Mystery Lodge, Montezuma's revenge and the Calico Mine Train, and overall survived the day, but after MM and 2 Disney days, and with so much closed, Knott's was mostly a throw-in.

From what I can gather, "curve 9" is the turn at the bottom of the mid-course drop, right? The comment "banking is radically different in curve 9" sounds like good news as that's the section of the ride that felt like the structure was tearing apart. I'm assuming it'll be somewhat closer to that manic section of Apocalypse that follows the first tunnel turnaround.

This is all very promising as Ghost Rider's layout was always fantastic.

First off, the photos are fantastic. I am so excited to see this baby getting some love, and I hope this upgrade is a long term solution to bring the ride back to its former glory.

Second, does it look like to anyone else that they've begun track work on the first drop? If that is indeed what is happening, would it be safe to assume that no, the first drop is not going to be reprofiled?

I don't think that was anymore than a mention/pipe dream among enthusiasts, I just wanted clarify what we can expect, if the first drop is going to be the same, or different.

^It could be slightly reprofiled, but I wouldn't expect any major changes (as in steepness or height).

Am I the only one that hopes nothing gets painted? I'm really digging the look of new track on old structure.

Oh, and thanks for sharing the photos!

It won't get painted. The new wood will eventually fade in that California sun and look like the old wood.

I've never ridden GhostRider so am unfamiliar with the ride. Have they added more banking to the banked sections of the ride, or were they already like that?

by the descriptions on facebook, at least a couple parts of the track have been changed. but most of it from going a number of days look the same. the ledgers are supported by some "L" brackets and from all that I can see, they haven't moved.

hopefully GCI will give us more info.

From the pictures, it looks as if the long flat turn to the right just before you dive down then up into the high turn around has some additional banking to it. Also, the left turn just after the dive off the high turn around. The one that threads the needle through the entire structure looks to me to have some additional banking added. Which in my opinion is a good thing, as both of those turns were very flat to begin with and needed the banking. I can only hope that GCI does the same to the flat turns on the Legend at Holiday World.

Guy "Me no likey flat turney." Koepp

FYI - The Haunt Museum is now closed, most likely permanently. Perhaps they'll' try again a few more years down the line (with better displays hopefully), but it's gone for the foreseeable future.

That's kind of a bummer actually...unless they plan on swapping it out with a park/ghost town specific exhibit that expands upon what they have already in the museum.

I need to get down there for a Haunt again. It's been a few years. Too bad I missed the museum as well.

Eh, you weren't missing anything noteworthy, really. It had photos from some past haunts as well as some costume pieces and props but nothing to make it really stand out aside from the Elvira mannequin's boobs.

The main issue was that, because the Haunt Museum didn't exist for the first 40 years of the event, stuff didn't get saved. Stuff either got reused or thrown out. So, when the museum opened, there just wasn't very much to put in it and make it worth going to.

Also, putting the Venetians costumes up was a stupid idea. Nobody gave a crap about the Venetians.