TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Did Knott's specify what kind of wheels the new Flyers will run on. I am curious whether using the same wheels that Woden at Europa Park uses would make a difference in terms of keeping the ride smooth over time and avoid the same fate as Wildcat and Gwazi... How has Woden kept up in terms of smoothness?

I doubt they would be able to use the nylon wheels as they have a higher coefficient of friction. Wodan was designed knowing it would run nylon wheels. Nylon wheels on Ghostrider would probably cause the train to valley.

Im suprised no one mentioned this yet but technically we are losing a car lenght on the new trains from what I can see. I dont know the weight difference between PTCs and MFs but it could make a slight deviation in ride time and feel. Thoughts?

Aren't the 12-car Millennium Flyer trains about as long as normal two-row 7-car trains anyway? Or at least...like 6 and a half?

Did Knott's specify what kind of wheels the new Flyers will run on. I am curious whether using the same wheels that Woden at Europa Park uses would make a difference in terms of keeping the ride smooth over time and avoid the same fate as Wildcat and Gwazi... How has Woden kept up in terms of smoothness?

I doubt they would be able to use the nylon wheels as they have a higher coefficient of friction. Wodan was designed knowing it would run nylon wheels. Nylon wheels on Ghostrider would probably cause the train to valley.

The difference between Gwazi, Wildcat and this should be the level of "retrack." I think GCI retracked a few layers of Gwazi, but the whole track was damaged, so it didn't completely solve the problem. From the pictures I've seen, GhostRiders renovation looks much more extensive than either of those, so I have very high hopes that it will be top quality again!

And yay for no mid course! (KBF knew exactly who was reading the PR when they wrote that! ) we may be seeing the strongest airtime on a "GCI" yet!

Wildcat and Gwazi were only partial re-tracks? I never knew that, can anyone verify this? Was Boulderdash a complete or a partial re-track does anyone know?

Im suprised no one mentioned this yet but technically we are losing a car lenght on the new trains from what I can see. I dont know the weight difference between PTCs and MFs but it could make a slight deviation in ride time and feel. Thoughts?

Aren't the 12-car Millennium Flyer trains about as long as normal two-row 7-car trains anyway? Or at least...like 6 and a half?

The standard 12-car millennium flyers carry the same number of people as a 6-car PTC train. Therefore we are losing 4 riders per dispatch. Not really a huge deal.

Like Robb and most others, I'm a little skeptical to see how long this restoration lasts, but either way, this is my home park and I will finally get to experience GR in all its glory for at least a few seasons, hopefully more!

The standard 12-car millennium flyers carry the same number of people as a 6-car PTC train. Therefore we are losing 4 riders per dispatch. Not really a huge deal.

Not in terms of dispatch (I can do simple math too), but in terms of the forces on either end of the train.

Not in terms of dispatch (I can do simple math too), but in terms of the forces on either end of the train.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

According to the concept art, these will be the newer set of millennium flyers that have the slightly redesigned restraint to accommodate smaller riders. Maybe it's possible that GhostRider will lower its height restriction after this refurb?

Oh, duh, youre right. I love the new boardwalk area, I just really dislike Iron Reef. I should have said that I really only meant that ride.

Also, I have no insider info on the rides performance, but on a pack night at knott's, when EVERYTHING has very long lines, Iron Reef had a 5 minute wait...

Thats odd . . . I was there on a sunday and the longest line was Iron Reef and i'm not talking a 10 minute wait.

Well i hope with the modifications done so far, and the new trains, that perhaps they modify that first drop to accommodate the propable shorter cars so that in that very back seat we get the same kind of air throughout the ride that a lot of us came to know during the first 10 years of the rides life.

Not worried at all. Glad they're getting new trains, glad they're redoing the track. If the old Ghostrider of the past is a memory, I can live with it.

God willing I will be there opening day to get on this puppy. Ghostrider really REALLY was the best wooden coaster I've ever been on. Riding with the high school girlfriend may have helped but HOLY HELL a night ride at 10pm as the park was closing simply was an experience in and of its own. That drop after the MCBR and what followed through the rest of the course was something I loved but dreaded all at the same time. It was terrifying, enjoyable, but INTENSE. So intense but also controlled, not so backbreaking as it was a couple months ago.

Hell if it takes another 10 years for them to refurb it yet again, more power to Knott's and Cedar Fair. But I think Ghostrider should be a staple coaster at Knott's as long as they can make it last.

Oh, duh, youre right. I love the new boardwalk area, I just really dislike Iron Reef. I should have said that I really only meant that ride.

Also, I have no insider info on the rides performance, but on a pack night at knott's, when EVERYTHING has very long lines, Iron Reef had a 5 minute wait...

Thats odd . . . I was there on a sunday and the longest line was Iron Reef and i'm not talking a 10 minute wait.

You can't really gauge a ride's overall popularity based on just one night.

I appreciated Knott's for attempting to bring a ride like Iron Reef into the park. However, not a huge fan it personally. I wish it borrowed a bit from Toy Story Midway Mania, and did more movement, like maybe a full 360 spin between screens? 3D was a tad off, and there are some non-working guns. Generally I think it is good Knott's is developing more experiences beyond just the rides.

Very happy they are doing a full remodel of the restaurant. It has needed this for a long, long time.

I appreciated Knott's for attempting to bring a ride like Iron Reef into the park. However, not a huge fan it personally. I wish it borrowed a bit from Toy Story Midway Mania, and did more movement, like maybe a full 360 spin between screens? 3D was a tad off, and there are some non-working guns. Generally I think it is good Knott's is developing more experiences beyond just the rides.

Very happy they are doing a full remodel of the restaurant. It has needed this for a long, long time.[/quote

Chicken dinner has been bad need of some tlc for a while now.

A new documentary about the origins of sliding and Knotts Scary Farm is currently in the works. For whatever reason I have not been able to successfully embed the video in this post so heres the link for the trailer:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by cfc

Even though I'm a mid-wester (KI being my home park), I'm really excited for Ghost Rider's refurb! I'm taking my first SoCal next spring break or summer, and I'm going to Magic Mountain ($53 GOLD PASS!) and one other park, I'm really considering Knott's instead of Disneyland or Universal.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in choosing Knott's. Some of the best food offerings and a very good mix of coasters with 2 classic dark rides.

IMHO, Disneyland now is just trying to make the best of excessive crowds and USH is a lot of motion simulators, a boat ride, and a decent (but not great) dark coaster (though Potter additions will change this, if they're open by the time of your trip).

Knott's though is definitely low risk. And the state GhostRider will be in may its best yet (or ever, if it slowly continues to degrade again).

Saw an interview with GCI from IAAPA on another site. Adam House, the lead designer at GCI said that 50% of Ghostrider is receiving a complete re-track, while other 50% is going to be re-profiled to allow the ride to remain smooth over a long period of time. He said that this refurbishment is not like recent refurbishments (Gwazi, ext.) and guaranteed that Ghostrider would be a top 10 ride again.