TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Going to haunt this thur for the first time and got a couple questions for you regulars:

1. Is special ops still running huge lines past reservation times?

2. Should this thur be that crowded?

Just a couple questions for my first haunt at Knotts! Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Going to haunt this thur for the first time and got a couple questions for you regulars:

Just a couple questions for my first haunt at Knotts! Any help would be appreciated thanks!

1. YES. I had reservations for 1am... I called it quits waiting in line at 1:40am.

2. Couldn't tell you, as I've only attended on Saturdays with a Skeleton Key/Fright Lane pass.

The big dirt lot where the Screaming Swing was is very intriguing to me. I would assume that a new ride or attraction would go there since I doubt they would leave it as a dirt lot. The area is not big enough for a coaster, but there's plenty of room for a flat. Knott's actually has a pretty decent flat ride collection, but an Air Race or a Star Flyer would offer something new. I don't know that either of those would fit into the Ghost Town theme though. I'm guessing that we will get an announcement in mid-November as that is when they announced Iron Reef.

Thursday should be fine. We went last thursday without any sort of express/fast pass and the longest line we encountered was their Paranormal Investigators maze which was about 30 minutes. The majority were either 15 minute waits (Voodoo) or walk-ons (Forevermore, Toothfairy, Gunslinger's Grave)

This restoration is great news.

I think a large wildfire that burned it to the ground would have been better news, so they could build an actual coaster that doesn't want to make me kill myself.

But if they can actually make it decent, I'm all for it!

As much as I LOVE Ghost Rider, I do think there are several spots in the ride that could use some re-profiling. Mainly, the s turn after the first turn around, and the turn around directly below that area.

This might just be the nostalgia talking, but I absolutely love that S-turn the way it is. It's like that brief calm before the ride gets crazy again. Ghostrider was my first "big kid" wooden rollercoaster, and I distinctly remember looking over the structure during that turn and thinking, "I can't believe I'm actually riding this right now."

I think a large wildfire that burned it to the ground would have been better news, so they could build an actual coaster that doesn't want to make me kill myself.

It wasn't that bad before, in no way did the ride make me want to kill myself.

I rode it 4 months ago, and 30 seconds after the lift hill, I wanted Valkyries to lift my body from the ride and ascend my mortal soul away from this evil world into Valhalla. And I'm not even Scandinavian!

So in summary, yes, GhostRider circa 2015 made me want to become a dead Viking...

Before when? 2004? Yeah, it wasn't that bad before then. After that, though, it was terrible. So far from these photos I'm seeing that the ride just looks like it's getting a re-tracking. I really hope that does actually help it out, although I'm worried for "how long" will it stay good for?

Before when? 2004? Yeah, it wasn't that bad before then. After that, though, it was terrible. So far from these photos I'm seeing that the ride just looks like it's getting a re-tracking. I really hope that does actually help it out, although I'm worried for "how long" will it stay good for?

I'm worried as well. But if the rumor of new trains is true, we may have hope yet!

I'm worried as well. But if the rumor of new trains is true, we may have hope yet!

I'm not sure what flyers will do, though, if they don't regularly maintain the track the way parks like Silverwood or Holiday World maintain their coasters. Look at how Apocalypse runs these days.

My hope is that the re-tracking project is just the first sign of a long and continued effort to maintain the ride as it should have always been to begin with.

Also, I feel it is my obligation to say that GR isn't THAT bad if you had rode it shortly after minor refurbishments. Wait too long after, it certainly can become push the limit of what many people would consider to be "fun".

American Thunder runs at SFStL pretty well. It can't compare to year-round parks, but it's older than Apocalypse if that means anything!

American Thunder was our favorite ride at SFStl (along with Mr. Freeze) when we visited the park last summer. It had some great airtime and was one of the smoothest traditional woodies I've ridden. Granted it's only 7 years old but SFStl has done a great job of maintaining it. I truly hope that Knott's continues to give GhostRider the TLC it deserves in the years following this re-tracking. If that means they shut it down for 1-2 months during the during the offseason for maintenance, then that's what they should do.

I'm not one to complain about roughness on roller coasters at all (for example Viper and X2 are par for the course with roughness as far as I'm concerned as the ride experiences are based on age or the complex maneuvers they're accomplishing) but Ghostrider was hands down unbearable before it closed this past Summer. No joke, I sat in the very back seat, and as soon as we got to the bottom of the first drop I immediately was thinking to myself "My god what have I gotten myself into?" It was the first time in a long time where I really wished there was a stop button so I could just get off as soon as possible.

Worst is the up/down shuffling and jerking from the track moving and the space between the track and up stops. The ride was Psyclone-esque. Colossus actually had a little bit of this on the double up before the second turnaround for a couple years before it closed down. Lots of violent jerking side to side, lots of up down shuffling which does wonders for spines.

I'm glad they're retracking it, but I REALLY wish they would have hired RMC to I-beam retrack the ride to the exact same specifications of the original layout, and I think it would once again have catapulted it into one of the very top coasters out here on the West. Not complaining, glad they're atleast doing SOMETHING, but I too worry about the longevity of this re-track work, and how long it will last.

Also crossing my fingers for new trains. Those original ones are super heavy and clunky. A nice light train will really help take some wear and tear off the structure and track. Oh, and thanks for all the photo updates, very much appreciated!

I now interrupt the Ghostrider debate to bring you an exclusive first-timer's experience with Haunt!

My friend and I had never done Scary Farm, but we came from Horror Nights the night before and met up with some Haunt veterans!

First, we did the Boofet. I was pleased to find that there were some vegetarian options and definitely better than average park food, but it wasn't that exciting for me food-wise. However, the talent walking around were HILARIOUS!! I was getting up to get a fork when a scare actor dressed as a dog came up to our table. I said, "Can you get me a fork?" and he was like, "Do I look like your dog? Get your own fork!" So I did and then when I saw him again I said, "I GOT A FORK!!" He was like, "Congratulations! You should put that on your resume! You deserve an award!" I told him I should and he left and came back with the "Official Fork Award." The rest of the dinner we goofed around and I was dying of laughter. It's things like this that sets Knott's apart from other parks (and other Haunts from what I've seen). They really develop a relationship with the guests and put in a lot of TLC and really do their best to make the guest experience as great as they can. Major props to them! The Boofet was totally worth the cost for the entertainment and for early Infected tickets!

I won't go through every maze individually since others did awesome TRs already about them but we were able to do everything once including both shows and Infected, and we ended the night with two back-to-back trips through Paranormal Inc. to try each side.

Infected... what can I say? It was absolutely AMAZING and one of the best most unique things I've ever done at an amusement park! It really felt like I was in a video game or in a real life apocalypse and it was just absolutely amazing! If you haven't done this yet, DO IT! I really hope they bring this back again next year!

The Hanging... WOW. I've never seen a show like it. It was absolutely hilarious and full of action and stunts and adult jokes ("50 Shades of Gray was the only book I've read where I didn't have to lick my finger to turn the page!"). I didn't understand all of the references but the ones I did get were hilarious! Haunt was totally worth it even just for Infected and The Hanging!

Most of the other mazes weren't that scary to me, but the level of detail in each one was amazing. There were so many things to see and I found myself taking it really slow and just looking at everything. I really thought Knott's put a lot more detail in their mazes, just a lot of TLC, whereas Horror Nights was all just crazy scares, loud noises, and theatrics. Both events were amazing in different ways, but I see why everyone loves Knott's!

The one maze that did get a lot of scares out of all of us (and hands-down the best and most theatrical this year) was Paranormal Inc! We were the last ones through that night and the scareactors were still super on their game and getting some great scares!

A few crummy videos I took:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Okay, here are some pictures that we took

IMG_2201.thumb.jpg.8f7dd7ef5f490cd2cbfde3907107bb52.jpg

FORK AWARD!!

IMG_2211.thumb.jpg.279f7d7e8eaf876deb2a05c85e538eec.jpg

This scare actor just came right up and started taking selfies on the table with me. "Work it girl, work it!"

IMG_2212.thumb.jpg.b1d1833d065f489cda31f45d50ce574c.jpg

The ambiance at night was awesome. I loved how dark and foggy it got!

IMG_2220.thumb.jpg.8ecc5f3cadfa86e7cb7e0bdc48de8e3f.jpg

Black Magic.

IMG_2221.thumb.jpg.7e741b7c734ebdb210dd126d790ada12.jpg

INFECTED!! Seriously amazing.

IMG_2226.thumb.jpg.b5c39916d5d9397d28bd6b36faf99df2.jpg

One of the funniest scenes in The Hanging! "Whoa boy!" "Don't call her a boy!"

IMG_2236.thumb.jpg.f992cb727d550da8d5dd5a335e75d964.jpg

One of the Deadly 7. They were so cool!

IMG_2243.thumb.jpg.e33dc26e0309a2956337213a18dc2d43.jpg

VooDoo

IMG_2244.thumb.jpg.b5adb2a6653e83b794d36c94c450d21a.jpg

ToothFairy. Very dark maze with the graphic murders of children depicted inside.

12065523_10206349124261327_3926116300132214408_n.jpg.4d9a3bfe12de048aa087b657bf114a49.jpg

Boofet time!

12074775_10203553051106600_5478689843719582301_n.jpg.d61f6d465c16685d2255a33eec7bd41f.jpg

PARANORMAL INC!! Best maze!

12108278_10206350113046046_1345306446701846793_n.jpg.6eb52d2ae96ae395a7cb9aab3ee24c6f.jpg

Elvira's Asylum! We were kinda late and got bad seats, so we couldn't really see her boobs

12108952_10206350121046246_8565388830529534694_n.thumb.jpg.51c9297ac2645d1cf399a96da3eb7438.jpg

This fountain was epic

12112251_10206349250144474_7417699938812615114_n.jpg.cccb270d5746d441d56abb637d328f54.jpg

We're here!

12118998_10206349272265027_5616729591815398408_n.jpg.6cfb8b05c5a0ffd0117faef3d06b3c9a.jpg

Mine train!

12143090_10206350119246201_5383285833825153421_n.jpg.c3795200539d559f462c5a71c9db68bf.jpg

"ON YOUR KNEES!" Wrath of the Deadly 7

Had to post tonight. Drove over from Phoenix to ride today. Got to the park at 2:30, and it was empty. I got 3 immediate rides on Silver Bullet (one front row), and then moved on to my fav - Xcelerator. I got 30 on that baby before they closed at 5:30 to get ready for the Haunt. I met one of our TPR frequent posters - John Tanaka. He's a really nice guy and I enjoyed our conversations and rides on Xcelerator. I'll be back for more tomorrow and then off to Magic Mountain for the weekend.

another Ghostrider update. more wood, more wood, more wood. a lot of stacking going on. nail guns pop, pop, popping.

out of the station the left side now has steel on top. hard to see with my bad eyes if it was actually new or the old steel just laid back on top of a few new stacks of wood.

like Ed said up above, ran into him and rode a bunch of xcelorator rides until closing. fun time!

IMG_5276.thumb.JPG.ef12dbe4cf6cd4853adf3d8e3b90fa2b.JPG

IMG_5280.thumb.JPG.9ad4099941d23fbcebec7c069f53057c.JPG

IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.96b636adf883cbe9c0364c96dc67e290.JPG

IMG_5291.thumb.JPG.815e6e96a83a136b803b60c6ecb0001c.JPG

awesome parking job

IMG_5295.thumb.JPG.a02c25667e0b2539f5f6619990b33e1e.JPG

IMG_5305.thumb.JPG.5689c55cb76f6ed69de8a79bc36671d2.JPG

IMG_5306.thumb.JPG.5ea8a2d48c7ed78e57fbaa6e5a770cf3.JPG

IMG_5328.thumb.JPG.78949e7598065b60d133ffec779aae53.JPG

IMG_5330.thumb.JPG.dfcf6d18465572557562adc2d95c1239.JPG