TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Everyone says that now...having been on Dodonpa, there is a limit to the acceptable amount of airtime. My belt buckle left a mark on me because the airtime was so intense. You can't really enjoy it because it's like being punched in the gut.

Wow it really flew over the top hat without slowing down. What in the world made them paint the ride pink of all colors?? It takes away from the ride a bit. It definitely needs a paint job like X got at MM. One of the best rides in the park shouldn't be pink sorry.

Xcelerator was never painted pink.

It was coral red when it opened and over the years the sun taken its toll and has turned the ride pink.

I would pay over $100 just to ride Xcelerator at that speed one time.

Only problem is I can't decide which would be a better ride experience? The front? Or the back?

Yeah, I would definitely pay for that tophat experience as well -- looks insane.

I do recall reading years ago that they engineered Xcelerator to be able to launch at speeds close to 100MPH so that they could pilot test it in a higher running speed mode for the impending Top Thrill Dragster (noting, of course, that TTD has a substantially higher speed than that). Not sure if true .....

I'm about 98% positive the launch speed everyone is talking about that was in the video is nothing more than them using the "Launch Boost" feature to ensure the train makes it over the tower during testing. Same thing that Top Thrill Dragster (and I belive) Kingda Ka have, and use for the first couple of trains out during morning testing. It's simply used to prevent rollbacks during testing.

XC doesn't have a "Launch boost." The speed that was achieved during that test was Intamin and the Hydraulic control system's programmers way of testing the launch system and it's capabilities. Contrary to popular belief, XC usually doesn't short shot in the morning unless it's abnormally cold OR it had rained during the night and there's water build up on the track and inside the catch car trough which will cause enough resistance for a short shot. What does usually happen every morning however is the train won't clear the Top Hat in the allotted 11 seconds which will cause an RTL (Ride Trouble Light) an the train will stop in the Brake Block. The RTL has to be reset by maintenance which isn't really a big deal cause maintenance performs morning tests anyways so there's usually a 2nd mechanic or electrician in the PLC room to reset the RTL within a minute or 2.

XC doesn't have a "Launch boost." The speed that was achieved during that test was Intamin and the Hydraulic control system's programmers way of testing the launch system and it's capabilities. Contrary to popular belief, XC usually doesn't short shot in the morning unless it's abnormally cold OR it had rained during the night and there's water build up on the track and inside the catch car trough which will cause enough resistance for a short shot. What does usually happen every morning however is the train won't clear the Top Hat in the allotted 11 seconds which will cause an RTL (Ride Trouble Light) an the train will stop in the Brake Block. The RTL has to be reset by maintenance which isn't really a big deal cause maintenance performs morning tests anyways so there's usually a 2nd mechanic or electrician in the PLC room to reset the RTL within a minute or 2.

Yesterday they had some downtime on XC (missed the breakdown) where after a test launch, a mechanic went under the brakes and made some adjustments and the train seemed to slowly go past a few fins, stop for a minute, go through a few more, and this repeated until it was all the way through and back to the station. They then sent another empty train, it came back the station in normal fashion, and we were on the next train. Would what you mentioned (not making it in 11 seconds) be what happened, or something else?

Not sure how many people caught a glimpse of GhostRider yesterday. But there were many areas throughout the ride that had piles of lumber everywhere. Next to each lumber stack there was some locked blue tool cabinets that were labeled "GCI".

Well that pretty much dashes our hopes of RMC Topper Track for GhostRider. However, I do believe that GCI is capable of doing a great job on the retrack based on what they did for Boulder Dash. I just hope this project includes new Millennium Flyer trains as well.

Yesterday they had some downtime on XC (missed the breakdown) where after a test launch, a mechanic went under the brakes and made some adjustments and the train seemed to slowly go past a few fins, stop for a minute, go through a few more, and this repeated until it was all the way through and back to the station. They then sent another empty train, it came back the station in normal fashion, and we were on the next train. Would what you mentioned (not making it in 11 seconds) be what happened, or something else?

That's something else. What exactly? No idea. If it would've been "Start block Time Out," those are an easy reset by maintenance in the PLC room. There's so many sensors all over XC, it's crazy. Each individual brake fin has a sensor on it. It only takes 1 fin to not come up or not go down in the allotted time to cause an RTL. That rides PLC is really amazing, it can tell you train position in the station down to the millimeter. It also knows which train is which.

I still am in awe of how Intamin pulled off that top hat with such minimal supports. Such a pretty coaster (well with fresh paint it was).
Well, techically, they didn't. Compare the video with a recent photo, you'll notice quite a bit of cross bracing missing. They added that later after they noticed the structure shaking so hard after each cycle it was slowly trying to pry itself out of the ground.

Someone in my GhostRider tour mentioned he saw video of Xcelerator testing at speeds of I think he said 112mph. He said the person shooting the video held up a stop watch to prove the video hadn't been altered.

Everyone says that now...having been on Dodonpa, there is a limit to the acceptable amount of airtime. My belt buckle left a mark on me because the airtime was so intense. You can't really enjoy it because it's like being punched in the gut.
You're absolutely right. That amount of negative Gs would be extremely painful and might even injure you. I think the launch speed is perfect right where it's at...on all my Sunday rides my ass was out of the seat throughout the entire top hat.

You're right, of course...my mistake. I have no knowledge if crews doing one companies' work ever work for the other.

I'm not sure either, as Gravity Group is a design firm, not a construction company, while GCI is both, if I'm correct. Maybe Gravity Group has had GCI construct some of their projects before, but I'd doubt it.

I'd like to see a company like GCI or Gravity Group adjust the layout on GhostRider, more than just a simple retracking. It would be interesting to see if any of these manufacturers are up to competing with RMC, seeing as Rocky Mountain has been dominating in wooden coaster refurbishments. After all, greater competition should lead to more and more excellent coasters

I'd like to see a company like GCI or Gravity Group adjust the layout on GhostRider, more than just a simple retracking. It would be interesting to see if any of these manufacturers are up to competing with RMC, seeing as Rocky Mountain has been dominating in wooden coaster refurbishments. After all, greater competition should lead to more and more excellent coasters
Matt Ouimet has stated that won't happen..Ghost Rider was one of the last rides planned by Walter Knott, so it's layout is held in some reverence. I think what you'll see coming up is a lot more than a simple retracking though not a layout change.

Matt Ouimet has stated that won't happen..Ghost Rider was one of the last rides planned by Walter Knott, so it's layout is held in some reverence. I think what you'll see coming up is a lot more than a simple retracking though not a layout change.

Walter Knott died in 1981, so I kind of doubt that he was super involved in the planning the layout of GhostRider.

I would like to see a little bit of rebanking and a steeper first drop, but I think the layout is pretty great overall.

Assuming he meant the remaining Knott family members who controlled the park prior to selling to Cedar Fair. GhostRider, the section of Ghost Town in front of it, and refurbing the marketplace were well into the planning stages when Cedar Fair bought the park. Urban Legend has it completing that project and agreeing to not touch Ghost Town for future development were terms of the sale.

Assuming he meant the remaining Knott family members who controlled the park prior to selling to Cedar Fair. GhostRider, the section of Ghost Town in front of it, and refurbing the marketplace were well into the planning stages when Cedar Fair bought the park. Urban Legend has it completing that project and agreeing to not touch Ghost Town for future development were terms of the sale.

Yeah sorry I meant the family, not Walter specifically. My error.

Yeah sorry I meant the family, not Walter specifically. My error.

I was mostly being flippant.

I definitely agree that it shouldn't be altered significantly, but I wouldn't say not to a better helix and would LOVE a steeper first drop.

PS - Speaking of helix - they were dismantling it today.