TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I've never been on Ghost Rider but from what I've heard/read it sounds like it was a great ride when it was new, so keeping it's original layout might be worth while.

I've been on a lot of rides, and Ghostrider was an absolute monster of a coaster for the first 5 years of its operation. Sometimes I wondered how the thing could possibly operate the way it did without eventually taking a toll on the trains and track as a whole. That drop after the MCBR tugged you SO HARD in the last row in a way I'll never forget. Kinda reminds me of what Twisted Colossus does now, except it was like 15 years earlier, and after that drop it was just pure highspeed insanity. It actually used to make me cringe because of the anticipation.

In my opinion, if they simply did an RMC kind of re-tracking with the exact same layout, the ride would be back on top amongst some of the best rides in the world. I feel like a modern wood "retracking" or whatever Cedar Fair is talking about is not going to be a long term solution and the ride will eventually degrade back into what we know it is today.

This won't always apply. The later in the month you go, the busier it gets.

Well, duh, but only the truly insane attend halloween events in the second half of October. I get all of mine out of the way in September and the first week of October. Then I just sit back and enjoy the season, as well as the reports of 3+ hour lines for a small haunted house.

Yikes, I had been considering going the night before Halloween and I would have had to drive down from the Bay Area on a Friday and go that same night. Even as I type this, I know it's an insanely stupid idea, but I'm not sure if I have anyone to go with any other night. I'm really trying to hype up my friends to go with me, but they're either too scared, not interested, or too busy. I don't particularly want to go alone to my first time at Knott's Scary Farm!

I don't particularly want to go alone to my first time at Knott's Scary Farm!

You should totally try going on your own. It's such a different experience. Especially with Knott's, if you do the pre-scare dinner and hit up some of the middle-to-back-of-the-park mazes right after, you might get the chance to go through the maze all by yourself. This has happened to me several times and the isolation factor brings a whole new level to the mazes. Hahaha. One of my favorite experiences. Plus, I like getting to go where I want, when I want. I've done alone trips to both Knott's and Universal each year since 2006. I actually prefer it that way.

One of my favorite Haunt stories is getting to meet a 72-year old lady, who was at the table beside me during pre-scare dinner one year, whom, after her husband started having trouble with all the walking at Haunt, opted to keep returning to Haunt for several years ALL BY HERSELF because she enjoys it so much. My own mother refuses to even go into a single haunted house, even with a large group of people around her. I gave mad props to this lady for not being scared to come all alone at 72. This was several years ago, I wonder if she still attends.......

How bad are crowds typically on opening day and the day after as those work best with my current plans?

I'm guessing you're referring to Scary Farm's opening day. If that's the case, the 24th is a Thursday, you'll definitely be able to bang through everything offered. Just make sure you get to The Hanging at least 10 minutes before it starts unless you want to watch it by from the log ride area.

Fun fact, I'll most likely be there that night, too!

you might get the chance to go through the maze all by yourself.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of! I still get pretty scared going through houses and it would be nice to have someone for moral support!

I did Fright Fest at SFMM alone last year (met some cool people in line that I went through some of the mazes with) and did alright, but I've never been to Scary Farm and am worried it's going to be too much for me to do alone.

sitting in my knotts hotel room right now. Going to visit Knotts for the first time in my life today. HopIng crowds will be low

I'm going to assume the park will be close to a ghost town (Pun MAY BE intended ). Schools just started not that long ago and it's a Wednesday. You should be golden! Have fun!

sitting in my knotts hotel room right now. Going to visit Knotts for the first time in my life today. HopIng crowds will be low

I'm going to assume the park will be close to a ghost town (Pun MAY BE intended ). Schools just started not that long ago and it's a Wednesday. You should be golden! Have fun!

Thanks, I went to magic mountain yesterday, and every ride wasa walk on so I'm hoping for the same at knotts

Thanks, I went to magic mountain yesterday, and every ride wasa walk on so I'm hoping for the same at knotts

Just in my experience - Knott's doesn't get nearly the same amount of traffic as SFMM. So, if SFMM was empty... you can almost bet all your money that Knott's will be as well.

Just in my experience - Knott's doesn't get nearly the same amount of traffic as SFMM. So, if SFMM was empty... you can almost bet all your money that Knott's will be as well.

I can't bet any money. I lost it all in the stock market this week. Just kidding. I'll let you know tonight how the crowds were.

I would expect the crowds to be very light as almost all of the LA and OC schools are back in session. I'm headed to Knott's on Friday to get a few last rides in on GhostRider and I'm hoping the park will be fairly empty.

Went to Knotts yesterday and it was totally dead, as expected. everything was a walk on.

Also, rode the silver train on Ghostrider in row 1 and it wasn't very rough at all, with the exception of the bottom of the first hill. Gold train is riding rougher. Try and catch the silver train if at all possible.

How bad are crowds typically on opening day and the day after as those work best with my current plans?

Last year, we went on opening weekend (Friday, I believe), and it was utterly miserable. I hadn't been for several years and couldn't recall if it was busy early or late in the season. Last year, it was early. Mazes averaged around 45-60 mins with listed times all over 90mins. If we go this year, it won't be anywhere near opening weekend.

Between this and the video they posted on Facebook yesterday dealing with paranormal stuff, I'm betting there's gonna be an interactive haunt where you have a ghost detector that beeps the closer you get to certain actors or triggers. Should be wicked.

Its good to hear GR is getting some tender loving care.

I rode it for the first time this past June. And while after reading this forum, I knew to expect a very bumpy ride, yet it exceeded my expectations for suckage.

And what made it even more annoying is that literally every other person on my train thought it was the best ride ever. I was just like, "wow". I wouldn't wish a ride on that pile of crap on my worst enemy.

That said, I like the layout and can imagine how awesome it was before it fell into disrepair...