TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm really hoping for RMC topper track and keep the layout as it is because it is a great layout plus new RMC trains (I am not really a fan of Magic Mountains' Twisted Colossus redo but I absolutely love the trains, very comfortable). My bigger wish is this makeover is so successful that they do the same for Mean Streak and return that coaster back to when it first opened.

Please reinforce the weak areas and get rid of the mid course break! Glad to see they are keeping it wood, I know everyone has a boner for RMC iron horse transformations, but even as bad as it is GhostRider still has a great layout. Fix the roughness and it's back in my top ten.

I've never ridden Ghostrider but watching POV's from when it was new vs. now I can clearly tell the track has take. It's toll over the years. If this ride runs like new again I would be so excited to get out and ride it. I think it looks like a phenomenal layout.

Screamin' Swing is an upcharge attraction, I visit Knotts every couple of months and I have only seen it running with people on it a handful of times (although I am there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I can't speak for it on the Weekends) so I am guessing it is a money losing attraction. Including it as general admission seems unfeasible since it is only an 8 seat model of the ride the wait at times could be crazy long if was included.

I'm really hoping for RMC topper track and keep the layout as it is because it is a great layout plus new RMC trains (I am not really a fan of Magic Mountains' Twisted Colossus redo but I absolutely love the trains, very comfortable). My bigger wish is this makeover is so successful that they do the same for Mean Streak and return that coaster back to when it first opened.

How in the world are you not a fan of Twisted Colossus? What is not to like about it?

So is it better to refurbish a coaster and make it mediocre than do a complete transformation and make it absolutely amazing?

Screamin' Swing is an upcharge attraction, I visit Knotts every couple of months and I have only seen it running with people on it a handful of times (although I am there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I can't speak for it on the Weekends) so I am guessing it is a money losing attraction. Including it as general admission seems unfeasible since it is only an 8 seat model of the ride the wait at times could be crazy long if was included.

Which would make it perfect for a smaller cedar fair park

^ question is, whose doing this restoration (please say rmc topper track)

I would be over-joyed to see RMC retrack this ride, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was GCI.

If I had to guess, I think you're right. I think we are looking at something more along the lines of what GCI did to Boulder Dash (which was awesome) but that's just my guess.

Here's to hoping that whoever does this work does it well. I'd love the chance to experience what Ghostrider was like when it was in its prime. The first time I rode this coaster was after it had started becoming rough and barely rideable.

I was lucky enough to ride Ghost Rider during it's first month, and it was indeed amazing... and have re-ridden it a few times in the last couple years, and it just makes me sad now. Not only is it rough, but it's just how far it has fallen from the original greatness of the ride.

As others have said, you don't need to change the layout, just get it back to original awesomeness, hopefully in a way (track type, new trains, MORE MAINTENANCE) that hopefully keeps it that way for a long, long time.

Good move by Knotts!

How in the world are you not a fan of Twisted Colossus? What is not to like about it?

Don't get me wrong, it is a good coaster but of the 5 conversions they have performed I have it ranked fourth. I didn't find the trick track at the beginning all that spectacular and just as the coaster gains any momentum you are already at the second lift hill but I fault the original structure and not RMC for that. Plus the day I was there I hardly ever saw it racing (yet I blame Six Flags ride ops more than anything) so the high five element is not as exciting if you aren't really... you know... high fiving. I was a fan of the original Colossus but unfortunately Six Flags maintenance really let the coaster go and at the end there it was really un-rideable so the transformation was needed. If given a choice, though, I would prefer Medusa steel coaster or Wicked Cyclone over Twisted colossus but they are great due to the existing structure that RMC had to work with.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good coaster but of the 5 conversions they have performed I have it ranked fourth. I didn't find the trick track at the beginning all that spectacular and just as the coaster gains any momentum you are already at the second lift hill but I fault the original structure and not RMC for that. Plus the day I was there I hardly ever saw it racing (yet I blame Six Flags ride ops more than anything) so the high five element is not as exciting if you aren't really... you know... high fiving. I was a fan of the original Colossus but unfortunately Six Flags maintenance really let the coaster go and at the end there it was really un-rideable so the transformation was needed. If given a choice, though, I would prefer Medusa steel coaster or Wicked Cyclone over Twisted colossus but they are great due to the existing structure that RMC had to work with.

You've ridden all of them?

According to the Scary Farm Facebook page, Forevermore is returning this year with new room designs and a new Skeleton Key room.

This is a mixed bag for me. Last year I loved everything except Forevermore, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the employees. See, I loved the design of the maze. It was huge, absolutely huge. The designs of the rooms were great and had amazing attention to detail for the stories of Poe. Unfortunately all of the good was crushed by the complete lack of caring by the actors and employees. The queue line crawled because the sorter was spending more time staring at her phone and ordering McDonalds from a coworker than actually sending people through the maze. The actors and employees inside the haunt certainly didn't help. Multiple times the group I was in entered a room and I witnessed actors putting phones into their pockets and pretending to shamble around since they weren't even close to being ready for a scare. I also ran into more than a few dead ends and even entered an employees only area by accident because nobody was paying attention to where people were in the haunt.

I really hope they do better this year because I feel the haunt has huge potential to be one of my favorites!

Michigan's Adventure fans/locals rejoice!

Hey that would be a much better addition than what the park is used to, and they could really use a thrilling flat ride.

Michigan's Adventure fans/locals rejoice!

Hey that would be a much better addition than what the park is used to, and they could really use a thrilling flat ride.

Agreed! I'd rather have this than a roller coaster, if that coaster is Shockwave!

MORE MAINTENANCE)

Knott's performs PLENTY of maintenance on GhostRider; that is not the reason why it is rough. It's simply the fact that it runs at a year-round park with 7-car PTCs that tear up the track. No matter how much maintenance you do on the ride, it will still be rough due to its operating conditions.

This is great news though! I hope it is one of two options:

1. Topper track, same PTC trains

2. GCI extensive re-track, NEW TRAINS. Doing a GCI re-track and keeping those heavy PTCs won't keep GR all that smooth when it runs 330-ish days a year.

Knott's performs PLENTY of maintenance on GhostRider; that is not the reason why it is rough. It's simply the fact that it runs at a year-round park with 7-car PTCs that tear up the track. No matter how much maintenance you do on the ride, it will still be rough due to its operating conditions.

This is great news though! I hope it is one of two options:

1. Topper track, same PTC trains

2. GCI extensive re-track, NEW TRAINS. Doing a GCI re-track and keeping those heavy PTCs won't keep GR all that smooth when it runs 330-ish days a year.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Someone else mentioned it a few pages back; Ghost Rider takes more punishment than practically any other coaster in the world considering the trains it has and the operation schedule of it's park. Given that I really hope it's option #1 as topper track can take way more punishment, but I tend to believe it will probably be #2. Maybe we'll hit the lottery and get topper + new trains.