TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Quick TR:

I visited Knott's for my first time last April and was recently in LA so I stopped by Knott's for a while on July 24th to get my 2 remaining credits I didn't get last time. It was decently packed actually.

-I rode Montezooma's first which was a credit I still needed. It was quite fun and the loop and launch were surprisingly forcefull.

-I rode Jaguar and Xcelerator as well. Jaguar was nothing special but Xcelerator was amazing just as I remember it.

-I waited an hour (yes, an hour) for... Boomerang yes I know, "what are you thinking?!?" well, I needed the credit. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting compared to other boomerangs but I found out soon after that they just replaced the trains with new ones. Not *too* bad.

-I got a back seat ride on GhostRider which was so fun yet so painful. It's definitely the roughest wooden coaster I've ever been on but at least it has a fun layout to make up for it. I'm surprised that so much GP loves this ride. It had an hour long line.

-I rode Pony Express as well and it's a fun little family coaster. It's a great unique concept which would be really fun to see as a coaster longer than 20 seconds.

-I was considering doing Voyage but it had a huge line and honestly didn't look like anything special from the POV

-I finished the night off with a front row ride on Silver Bullet and I can't get over how much I love this ride. I don't understand all the hate it gets. It's my second favorite B&M invert, right behind Banshee. (even above Montu!) I just love how smooth it is and how the elements flow together perfectly.

1571136774_Summer2015throughLA2022.thumb.JPG.5d4583fe7eaf622ef9f6fc7a30b4fd23.JPG

I love this pic I took

Hello all, I will be in the Los Angeles area October 7-12th. I'm planning on hitting up Knott's Berry Farm both for the park AND for Haunt. Does anyone have any tips for this visit? This is my very first time going for Haunt and i am aware that Knott's Berry Farm and the Haunt are two entirely different tickets. Any help works, thank you!

Hello all, I will be in the Los Angeles area October 7-12th. I'm planning on hitting up Knott's Berry Farm both for the park AND for Haunt. Does anyone have any tips for this visit? This is my very first time going for Haunt and i am aware that Knott's Berry Farm and the Haunt are two entirely different tickets. Any help works, thank you!

What night are you doing scary farms? I'm going that Sunday night as it is generally the slowest. I did the dinner before and that really helped out getting into the park before others as well as getting the pre assign ticket for the zombie maze since most of the tickets went within 30 mins of opening. I always start at the back with a ride on xcelerator then Houdini's.

Thursdays and Sundays are the best days crowd-wise for Haunt. Friday probably wouldn't be terrible, since it's still the first half of the run.

I keep hearing rumors of people saying that RMC is going to do work in GhostRider next year. I just wanted to say that there's no way that's happening. They already have 4 projects for 2016, that's double any other year for them. I highly doubt they'd have any time to do work on Apocalypse or GhostRider in 2016.

I would imagine that is why they expanded their facility and had a job posting up for another project manager...

Here's a radical idea that should happen someday: RMC should do a wooden horse for Ghostrider. As in, put entirely new wooden track on Ghostrider to keep the whole classic west feeling of the ride but making it smooth, insane experience. It would arguably be one of the best wooden coasters on earth.

Here's a radical idea that should happen someday: RMC should do a wooden horse for Ghostrider. As in, put entirely new wooden track on Ghostrider to keep the whole classic west feeling of the ride but making it smooth, insane experience. It would arguably be one of the best wooden coasters on earth.

That may not be as radical or far off as you think.

My fingers are still crossed for GhostRider getting at least a partial RMC topper track makeover for 2016.

With the Ghost Town 75th anniversary hints dropped by Ouimet earlier this year and by Raffi Kaprelyan at the Voyage media day, as well as a comment by Schilke at the last IAAPA that RMC had 'a little extra' planned for 2016 in addition to their 3 big projects (which we can now guess are Storm Chaser, Dollywood, & SFDK Roar), I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic.

Edited by i<3coasters

That's pretty much what topper track is. It's laminated wood with a steel box rail, and the ride experience stays like a wood coaster, just very smooth.

That's pretty much what topper track is. It's laminated wood with a steel box rail, and the ride experience stays like a wood coaster, just very smooth.

What I mean is an RMC layout, with banked turns and maybe a couple of inversions.

My fingers are still crossed for GhostRider getting at least a partial RMC topper track makeover for 2016.

With the Ghost Town 75th anniversary hints dropped by Ouimet earlier this year and by Raffi Kaprelyan at the Voyage media day, as well as a comment by Schilke at the last IAAPA that RMC had 'a little extra' planned for 2016 in addition to their 3 big projects (which we can know guess are Storm Chaser, Dollywood, & SFDK Roar), I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic.

I think 2017 is when Cedar Fair really invests into RMC. I think that Ghostrider and Hurler at KD are going to be the first two to get the treatment.

With the Ghost Town 75th anniversary hints dropped by Ouimet earlier this year and by Raffi Kaprelyan at the Voyage media day, as well as a comment by Schilke at the last IAAPA that RMC had 'a little extra' planned for 2016 in addition to their 3 big projects (which we can know guess are Storm Chaser, Dollywood, & SFDK Roar), I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic.

I think 2017 is when Cedar Fair really invests into RMC. I think that Ghostrider and Hurler at KD are going to be the first two to get the treatment.

It may be 2017, but I do not think the decision makers at Knott's have any intention of I-Boxing GhostRider. From the statements out there, they seem pretty committed to keeping it a wooden coaster as a hat tip to the Knott family.

It may be 2017, but I do not think the decision makers at Knott's have any intention of I-Boxing GhostRider. From the statements out there, they seem pretty committed to keeping it a wooden coaster as a hat tip to the Knott family.

I think they should keep GhostRider as a woody, it really doesn't need the IBox treatment. The layout is still fantastic and it was a Top 10 woody for the first 6 years or so before it started to get really rough. A RMC topper track makeover would restore GhostRider to its former glory, only with a lot better longevity this time.

No I mean ripping out the current wooden track and putting in entirely new wooden track (like Outlaw Run).

I think they should keep GhostRider as a woody, it really doesn't need the IBox treatment. The layout is still fantastic and it was a Top 10 woody for the first 6 years or so before it started to get really rough. A RMC topper track makeover would restore GhostRider to its former glory, only with a lot better longevity this time.

I agree. With Twisted Colossus up the road, I'd prefer if GhostRider could keep its "wooden" classification -- though I'm sure the feel of the ride with topper track would be pretty similar to an I-Box running nylon wheels.

What I mean is an RMC layout, with banked turns and maybe a couple of inversions.

I honestly don't think the ride needs all that. Maybe make the first drop a little steeper and increase the banking on a couple turns, but it definitely doesn't have to be another TC. It's a fabulous coaster that just needs to be returned to its former glory, with maybe just a few small upgrades.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want new RMC trains considering that TC isn't all that far away.

Hypothetically, if the park replaced every inch of track on GhostRider with topper track and kept the same PTC trains, would the track still end up tearing apart? Would it feel like a wooden coaster still? I've only ridden one RMC and it is TC (IBox).

To be honest, I wouldn't even want new RMC trains considering that TC isn't all that far away.

Hypothetically, if the park replaced every inch of track on GhostRider with topper track and kept the same PTC trains, would the track still end up tearing apart? Would it feel like a wooden coaster still? I've only ridden one RMC and it is TC (IBox).

It is the PTC trains that tear apart the track. Trust me, Outlaw Run feels VERY different than Twisted Colossus, even with the same trains (I rode both coasters within 3 days of each other). OR rides and feels like a wood coaster, those RMC trains + topper track would be a godsend for GhostRider!

Surprised to hear very little chatter from you guys about this year's Knott's Scary Farm. Scare LA is this weekend and the Knott's Scary Farm panel is tomorrow afternoon.

I attended the re-hire event last week and I will be a monster in one of the brand new mazes this year. I know of a couple things happening this year in regards to old mazes vs. new mazes and what won't be returning. We should all know a lot more by this time tomorrow!

Surprised to hear very little chatter from you guys about this year's Knott's Scary Farm. Scare LA is this weekend and the Knott's Scary Farm panel is tomorrow afternoon.

You just answered your own question. We're not talking about it, HHN, FrightDome, etc, simply because we have no freakin' clue what's happning with those events.

Ugh, I hate how late ScareLA is in the year. If these events expect me to buy a ticket and plan a trip, I prefer to do it knowing what I'll be getting into. I've yet to make and halloween plans for SoCal since nobody has bothered to say a thing yet.

I figured people would voice their expectations for this year or speculations on what's already been happening at the park. A handful of mazes have already begun to go up.

There will for sure be more buzz after the panel at Scare LA.