TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Screamscape seems to think that Ghostrider love is on the horizon for the Ghost Town 75th anniversary. They're hinting at topper track by RMC. Can someone explain what topper track is and what's the difference between what they just did to colossus??

Topper Track: http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/topper-track.php

IBox Track: http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/ibox-track.php

Screamscape seems to think that Ghostrider love is on the horizon for the Ghost Town 75th anniversary. They're hinting at topper track by RMC. Can someone explain what topper track is and what's the difference between what they just did to colossus??

The CEO of Cedar Fair has strongly hinted that a refurb for GR is on the way shortly.

The basics of it are... Topper track uses a fairly thin steel box track that attaches to traditional wood stack that makes up the track of a wood coaster. Giving a ride topper track (usually) doesn't involve making changes to the layout of the ride, but topper track has also been used to make new rides. Riding on Topper track feels more like a traditional wood coaster.

IBox Track (what TC used) is a very beefy all-steel track that looks like an I Beam that is then attached to the vertical support structure of the ride and (usually) accompanies significant changes to the existing layout. This is also sometimes called the "iron horse" treatment. Riding on IBox track feels more like a steel coaster.

The RMC website has some more info... (Topper Track) (IBox)

Edited by CedarFlags

I for one really really hope we see some topper track on ghost rider in the near future. Even if the park deciced to go with a full iron horse, it would easily be right up there with twisted colossus for top ride on the west coast.

I spoke with someone who works in Rides Maintenance at Knott's today and she told me GhostRider is scheduled to go down for a long rehab in September, and that it's being done by an outside contractor. I couldn't get any more details from her than that.

I would love if it got a topper track from RMC, but I don't know how realistic that would be in that timeline. Unless they only replace a few of the roughest sections instead of doing the whole ride...

I spoke with someone who works in Rides Maintenance at Knott's today and she told me GhostRider is scheduled to go down for a long rehab in September, and that it's being done by an outside contractor. I couldn't get any more details from her than that.

I would love if it got a topper track from RMC, but I don't know how realistic that would be in that timeline. Unless they only replace a few of the roughest sections instead of doing the whole ride...

That timing sounds about right, Colossus stopped operating in August and the full iron horse makeover was ready for Memorial Day. If GR goes down for a topper track rehab in September, then it would probably be ready for spring break or Memorial Day at the latest. I would imagine that topper track rehab would take less time than a full iron horse makeover. And yes, please get rid of that damn trim brake!

Whatever they do with Ghostrider, I'm really hoping they get rid of the trim brake just before the second half of the ride. When you used to go into that drop with speed it really was amazing. The whole ride was amazing back in the day, relentless!!!

I cannot possibly agree more. The absence of that brake is my litmus test for whether or not the rehab works.

That timing sounds about right, Colossus stopped operating in August and the full iron horse makeover was ready for Memorial Day. If GR goes down for a topper track rehab in September, then it would probably be ready for spring break or Memorial Day at the latest. I would imagine that topper track rehab would take less time than a full iron horse makeover. And yes, please get rid of that damn trim brake!

I meant the timeline for RMC. I remember reading somewhere on here that the company was going to have its hands full for the next year.

I'd LOVE an RMC to come in and do some work on GhostRider! I agree that a new train, and a comeplete retracking of the same layout would be ideal for me. If they decide to get a GCI or GG retrack GR, they cannot half ass it. GR NEEDs new trains. The trains not compatible with the layout, it will tear it apart again.

BUT.... If this will happen with RMC, it would be 2017 at the earliest. RMC is full for 2016 at this point with the 3 projects they have booked already.

I can't imagine them closing GhostRider for Haunt.

It actually makes sense from a cost standpoint. GR always goes down for maintenance both before and after Haunt, so they're saving the labor cost of of having to schedule in-house maintenance employees for an additional couple weeks. The fiscal year resets in early October, so it'll help keep the department from going over its labor budget in the final weeks of the fiscal year. Plus, it'll make life so much nicer for the backstage mazes without that thing rattling by every minute.

How are the lines for the rides this week. Mainly Ghost rider, Xcellerator and Silver Bullet?

They seemed to be shifting between 25 and 45 minutes. Lots of school groups in the park this week, so it's busier than one might expect.

As I have ridden Tremors, I can say that topper track seriously helps. On tremor's though, not every portion of track has it. They only put it over the "problem" spots, so some parts are significantly smoother then others.

If they do in fact replace GR's track with topper track, I would hope its the whole thing. Tremors still jack hammered through some of the air hills which as far as I could tell did not have the topper track on them. I heard Cyclone at SFNE also only had portions replaced with topper track. Made it significantly better, but not quite as good as it could have been with a complete topper track transformation.

I can't imagine them closing GhostRider for Haunt.

It actually makes sense from a cost standpoint. GR always goes down for maintenance both before and after Haunt, so they're saving the labor cost of of having to schedule in-house maintenance employees for an additional couple weeks. The fiscal year resets in early October, so it'll help keep the department from going over its labor budget in the final weeks of the fiscal year. Plus, it'll make life so much nicer for the backstage mazes without that thing rattling by every minute.

If KBF is worried about scheduling the very small GhostRider maintenance team for a month...they've got bigger problems.

Having GhostRider down would take away space for roughly 2,000 people...that would not be good for their bottom line since it would limit the capacity of Haunt.

I still haven't had as good of a coaster ride than I did the first time I rode GhostRider shortly after it opened, I think I was eight. It truly is one of the best designed coasters layout-wise of all time in my opinion. I miss rushing towards the drop off the mid-course brakes like a bat out of hell.

If they fix the ride up I'll be ecstatic!

Maybe they could enclose the drop and theme it like a mine shaft?

If Knott's did a topper track makeover (full or partial) on GhostRider and, whether with new trains or not, made this thing rideable in every seat again, it may move into my top 3 all time. Right now, having to ride exclusively in rows 1 or 3 to escape a spinal adjustment, detracts from the experience way too much. Even then, you have to know how to ride the thing to avoid a beating.

The layout of the coaster is nearly perfect and if the PTC trains can stop shredding this thing I would ride it endlessly.

Having Twisted Colossus a few hours from me and an A+ GhostRider down the street would truly be a dream come true. Fingers crossed this happens.

I'd be a little less ecstatic about an I-Box conversion unless there was some worthwhile re-profiling that would take place, which I don't think this coaster necessarily needs the way other RMC projects have.

Worlds of Fun's Timberwolf is currently being retracked by GCI, so unless I'm missing something (as I never really follow this thread) I would bet GCI on a refurb. HOWEVER, WOF is having issues with GCI, including a valley during to helix.