TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Orange County Register: Boysenberries, Ghost Town and rides: Knott's Berry Farm's future? It's all about preserving its past

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/knott-655625-park-ride.html

I love that KBF is treated special, because it is special. Ouimet basically says Ghost Rider isn't ever going away unless its popularity practically disappears completely. Also pretty much rules out any radical RMC conversion, though I don't think topper track would be out of the question.

While other parks dismantle wooden roller coasters, Knott’s says GhostRider is staying put, in part because the Knott family created it. GhostRider opened in 1998, a year after Cedar Fair bought the park, but was conceived before the sale.

“I suspect GhostRider will ultimately work its way into our legacy like the Log Ride and the Mine Ride,” Ouimet said. “I perceive a day when we pay a little more attention to GhostRider.”

Still, even with the attention being given to Knott’s history, Ouimet and Kaprelyan said they do try to balance the heritage with the blood-curdling drops and corkscrews. Hypothetically, Ouimet said, if a Knott-family-era ride loses popularity, it isn’t untouchable.

“I’ve learned over time the best way to honor the legacy of those who came before is to make the park successful going forward,” Ouimet said. “Too many parks that had great family legacies are closed now.”

“I perceive a day when we pay a little more attention to GhostRider" certainly sounds to me like it could mean something is in store for it....
I took that as something like a complete refurbish and retrack, possibly with topper track. I don't think they would go as far as drastically changing the layout in a total RMC remake. Maybe also new trains at some point. There's quite a bit that could be done to it without changing the fundamentals of the ride.

Personally I think a topper track refurb would be the best possible solution. The current layout is already pretty great, the roughness is really my only complaint with the ride.

I'd love for Rocky Mountain to come in and replace the track but keep the existing layout. I love the layout.

I remember a couple years ago there were rumors floating around that they were thinking about getting new trains for it, which I'm not convinced that would solve the "roughness". Looking at other Cedar Fair Parks, it seems that GCI is the only company they have gone with for their other parks in recent years. Would GCI topper track be a possible and smart choice?

I honestly always have fun test riding Ghostrider in the morning but I've been getting bad test rides lately and find myself fearing the turns because they've been a bit excruciating, mainly the first drop and the turns right before and after the MCBR. Popular word among the older RO's at Ghost is that management was debating giving it either the RMC treatment or topper track but never pulled the trigger. IMO Ghostrider is so iconic to Knott's and Ghost town that I can't really imagine it changing all that much.

Now that I really think about it, it's actually a shame that Ghostrider's original 3-4 month rehab period got reduced to a mere three weeks down time.

Topper Track would be a really good solution to make the ride smoother. It's relatively cheap, and reduces maintenance cost. It also can be added in sections so they could start with the high stress areas (bottom of the first drop) and add on later. I know our maintenance guys love it.

I don't know how many people will share this opinion, but I honestly feel like RMC is such a fantastic option for the majority. Ghost Rider would be a beast of RMC came in. I agree about the layout, but definitely with some added Rocky Mountain flare. Topper tracker is a nice option, but GR seems just like the perfect candidate for RMC!

What I am thinking is that GhostRider should keep its layout but have RMC add new track with many modern wooden coaster turns and transitions (but nothing too crazy like going 90 degrees), having the drops be a bit steeper, and have the airtime be a bit more abrupt. On top of that, new trains and keep the MCBR. I think that the real goal here should be to keep some of GhostRider's old potential while sort of modernizing the ride. It might not be the best idea, but it could work.

^ This is just observation from my past visits to Knott's, but...

Knott's Beary Tales - Total immersive ride with characters, areas, soundtrack, everything!

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs - Mostly all about landscaping, and where to place the next dinosaur.

Voyage to the Iron Reef - Screens. (What to me it's all about, from what I have read.)

And I bet the Iron Reef setup will now cost umpteen dollars more than Beary Tales did, lol.

The only thing that interests me about Iron Reef is the storyline. I mean, I'm not trying to be overly negative, but Guardian didn't get exactly rave reviews, and Iron Reef is not even going to have what is considered one of the highlights of Guardian: the drop track. Hoping this ride will blow away all expectations, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

^ This is just observation from my past visits to Knott's, but...

Knott's Beary Tales - Total immersive ride with characters, areas, soundtrack, everything!

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs - Mostly all about landscaping, and where to place the next dinosaur.

Voyage to the Iron Reef - Screens. (What to me it's all about, from what I have read.)

And I bet the Iron Reef setup will now cost umpteen dollars more than Beary Tales did, lol.

I also prefer physical effects and animatronics to digital projections, but it all depends on how well it's done. I'm just happy that the old Beary Tales space is being put to good use again.

After all, Toy Story Midway Mania is nothing but "screens," but I like that ride a lot.

Edited by cfc

I was talking to Raffi on Saturday and he said the ride have more set pieces than people are expecting, and the facade will be really cool. Lets hope it's as good as they are making it sound.

When the ride was first announced, they said it would have physical sets and effects in addition to the 3D screens. But even if it's mostly just the screens, it can still be a lot of fun if done right. CF is very aware of how competitive the California market is, so I doubt they are going half-assed on this ride.

The only thing that interests me about Iron Reef is the storyline. I mean, I'm not trying to be overly negative, but Guardian didn't get exactly rave reviews, and Iron Reef is not even going to have what is considered one of the highlights of Guardian: the drop track. Hoping this ride will blow away all expectations, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

Another person taking a myopic view. Even if the ride is not for you it balances out the park and will be a crowd pleaser for many. People waiting for and riding Iron Reef will be the people that will not be waiting for the same roller coasters as you at the same time.

GhostRider needs serious retracking - period. The ride was awesomely smooth when it was new and has just fallen apart over the years. This last week I was at the park and the ride experience significantly better than it has been in past years, but it was still a far, far cry from where it needs to be. IMHO, the the layout does not need to be changed as much as the ride itself just needs to be smoothed out and less jarring. Topper track would take care of that.

Another person taking a myopic view. Even if the ride is not for you it balances out the park and will be a crowd pleaser for many. People waiting for and riding Iron Reef will be the people that will not be waiting for the same roller coasters as you at the same time.

I was mostly speaking for myself. I'm sure it will be a hit with the GP, like Guardian was, it just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. I understand others will most likely feel differently.

Bu like Chuck mentioned, Midway Mania has pretty much only screens, and I do love that ride, so it could be the same for me with Iron Reef. The chances of me getting to Cali in the next couple of years is pretty slim anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

At least this is going in at a park where what's missing from the lineup is something interactive, rather than something extremely immersive. They thankfully already have that with TMLR and Calico Mine Ride.

I'm not expecting it to be a game-changer or a huge letdown. I just see it as welcomed addition to unused space that is another way for guests to have fun in the shade, and challenge each other at something.

I could understand complaints about it if they were removing Beary Tales to put this in, but they aren't. That space has sat unused for several years, so anything is welcome.

I just hope the animation is better than what people can currently get a home playing on their PS4.