TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^It was confirmed months ago that the ride is all on one level. There's no drop or elevation change of any kind. The ride being exactly like Wonder Mountain's Guardian merely means that it will be 100% screens with no physical sets.

As for the current state of the attraction, I visited the park a couple weeks ago and it looked like they have started work on the station and queuing area. It's difficult to see inside, but it looked like the mural in the station was different and there was construction equipment present. The exterior of the building looked the same, but it appears that there will be a new staircase to access the upper queuing area, which has been stripped down to just the steel supports.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/oct/22/news/mn-45639

This article was written when Cedar Fair brought Knott's, many people were saying how they hope the park wouldn't change. They had no idea what was coming........

Cedar Fair has done a great job with Knott's, they've been able to keep the charm of the park while adding new rides to stay competitive with the market. CF inherited a crap ride with Wind Jammer and replaced it with a world class Intamin launched coaster. They've added some great family coasters in Pony Express, Sierra Sidewinder, and Coast Rider. They've expanded Camp Snoopy and did much needed updates to the Log and Mine rides. This year the park finally gets a dark ride in the old KBT/KOTD building, which I am looking forward to despite the negativity some have towards the ride. I think there's still work to be done (the water park needs another slide tower and a new thrill coaster is needed), but I don't think anyone can say CF has been a bad owner. The new GM has a history with the park and seems to really understand what people are looking for at Knott's, so I think the park is in great hands.

^I don't have any info about physical sets. They might have some, might not. But a Fake tree or some cave borders to the screens wont make it better.

From what I've heard elsewhere, the only prop in the ride will be the Roaring 20's sign and there will not be any other physical elements during the attraction. I have not found any definitive evidence either way, but more points toward the ride being all screens.

A little off topic, but how long has Xcelerator been running 1 train for? I was there Sunday for the first time in a few years and it was quite interesting to see them only running a single train with parts of another sitting to the left of the brake run.

That article about the park changing is quite interesting! I've generally been a fan of how Cedar Fair hasn't turned the majority of the park into a trashcan laden concrete jungle. Xcelerator was a stellar addition and Sierra Sidewinder was a great addition as well. Only two big rides that I didn't agree with and still don't are 1) Silver Bullet and how it doesn't fit into its surrounding area and instead just sits on top of everything & 2) Pony Express, because Pony Express.

Overall though, I'm glad Knott's has retained its Ghost Town charm and friendly atmosphere. I'll definitely be going back more frequently than once every few years.

I think I'm the only one that likes Pony Express... when I first saw it I thought it was an idiotic kiddy ride that didn't belong at all and took up way too much room but I actually really enjoyed it. It's trains are gimmicky but I liked the gimmick.

A little off topic, but how long has Xcelerator been running 1 train for? I was there Sunday for the first time in a few years and it was quite interesting to see them only running a single train with parts of another sitting to the left of the brake run.

1 train operation @ XC is the norm. 2 train operation is usually only during summer and Haunt. I don't mind the 1 train operation because it has less downtime.

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I saw the purple train.

^It was confirmed months ago that the ride is all on one level. There's no drop or elevation change of any kind. The ride being exactly like Wonder Mountain's Guardian merely means that it will be 100% screens with no physical sets.

As for the current state of the attraction, I visited the park a couple weeks ago and it looked like they have started work on the station and queuing area. It's difficult to see inside, but it looked like the mural in the station was different and there was construction equipment present. The exterior of the building looked the same, but it appears that there will be a new staircase to access the upper queuing area, which has been stripped down to just the steel supports.

There were a couple of news articles that said there would be physical props in between scenes....but take it for what you will.

^I don't have any info about physical sets. They might have some, might not. But a Fake tree or some cave borders to the screens wont make it better.

From what I've heard elsewhere, the only prop in the ride will be the Roaring 20's sign and there will not be any other physical elements during the attraction. I have not found any definitive evidence either way, but more points toward the ride being all screens.

I think the sign is part of the video.

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I saw the purple train.

Same. A friend of mine that used to work at Xcel told me about why they don't run two trains however I don't quite remember why but I believe it was because they're just as efficient if not more efficient running one train then two.

I know from my personal operational experience at XC that this is true. Difference in capacity with 2 trains isn't worth the greater chance of having a downtime.

That makes sense since the ride is so short and they can't even bring train 2 in the station until train 1 clears the top hat.

I know from my personal operational experience at XC that this is true. Difference in capacity with 2 trains isn't worth the greater chance of having a downtime.

That makes sense since the ride is so short and they can't even bring train 2 in the station until train 1 clears the top hat.

And by the time train two fully parks in the station train one is already on the brake run.

I was feeling brave and decided to take a chance on GhostRider. Sitting in the middle of the train was tolerable but not much better than that. I really hope that they park actually goes through with the long rehab that's been in the works and keeps getting pushed back. Hopefully it'll go down for a good 3 or 4 months and come back without needing the midcourse brake.

^^When I visited earlier this month, I decided to ride GhostRider in the back car since nobody was waiting for it (it wasn't a very crowded day) and I hadn't done the back in years, plus it had been running better when I previously rode in December. After loading, I realized that there were people in cars 1-4, but cars 5 and 6 were complete empty and I was by myself in the back. At that point, I figured I was in trouble, and I was right. That ride was one of the roughest I've ever had on the coaster and due to the brake the airtime the ride originally had in the back seat was much less. GhostRider used to be an amazing coaster, and it still has occasional good days, but it has gotten to the point where you generally have to ride in a non-wheel seat in the first three cars to avoid a free spinal adjustment. I've heard rumors elsewhere that the ride is supposed to get a major overhaul next year as the park won't be adding a significant new attraction, and I hope they end up being true. It doesn't necessarily need an RMC treatment...if GCI came in and did a total retrack along with new trains for the coaster, it could be California's best woodie again.

^ Or hopefully someone from management rides Twisted Colossus this summer and realizes that's what Ghostrider needs too.

I'm actually 100% against RMC-ing it. It doesn't need the extreme changes that come with an RMC treatment, it just needs to be restored to its former glory. Plus, a park like Knotts Berry Farm, and especially the GhostTown area, needs a real wooden coaster.