TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Honestly, I'd probably go with Iron Reef. The idea, to me, is a lot more original, and I'm more confident in Knott's staffing of the ride than Six Flags'. Plus, it's a lot closer at the moment; Magic Mountain will probably get one if it goes well enough at the other parks. Then again, they're coming from two different companies (Triotech vs Sally Corp), so the rides will probably operate differently as well.

The exclusion of Boomerang really does have me curious. Granted, it's probably only a coincidence, but maybe it implies to a future replacement?

As skeptical as I was for this announcement, I like the theme surrounding this attraction a lot. The backstory is clear and compelling, and I like how the ride fits so well into the Boardwalk area (and the amusement park in general).

I, too, was hoping for something not so dependent on "screens," but the press release makes it sound like there will be physical 3D sets in-between the digital scenes, which would be nice.

I'm still dubious, however, that Triotech has the skills to pull off a truly great attraction. Again, I haven't been on Guardian, but it seems well below the quality of dark rides found at Disney / Universal. Of course, I suppose that's to be expected when, as the LA Times article points out, Knott's is trying to compete in a product category dominated by much heavier spenders.

I remain curious as to what Knott's overall strategy is. Are they trying to position themselves as a more affordable Disneyland / USH? They seem to be going after the same segments as their competitors, with one right down the street, while spending considerably less in doing so.

I'm still dubious, however, that Triotech has the skills to pull off a truly great attraction. Again, I haven't been on Guardian, but it seems well below the quality of dark rides found at Disney / Universal. Of course, I suppose that's to be expected when, as the LA Times article points out, Knott's is trying to compete in a product category dominated by much heavier spenders.

Part of what makes me optimistic is that Knott's/CF/Triotech must know that they're competing directly with the big boys at USH and Disneyland. If they didn't think they could pull off something of near equal quality, they wouldn't be trying/spending the money (I hope).

It's something the chain has previously been lacking under Kinzel. We saw how they failed miserably at Disaster Transport and no new dark ride was installed under him, while other chains like Six Flags and Paramount were installing the Sally dark rides.

Ouimet saw that the chain previously had dark rides, but were removed or discontinued due to the parks not taking care of them. Ever since the Pirate Ride was taken out at CP in 1996, most of the GP was always wanted another dark ride back, and it was pretty much the same thing with Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. With the new technology that's available, these new dark rides can be much superior than they've ever been. I mean, they're on level with most modern video games in terms of how they react to the players and Voyage will be the next step in that.

I'm glad that I can say that I looked through all of the facebook comments related to this attraction and NONE of them were negative. That's not an exaggeration. Comments ranged from "looks pretty cool" to "awesome!." It feels good looking through comments and not seeing everyone whine about a new attraction. I just hope I didn't jinx anything.

The Queen of the Kraken and her aquatic army have surfaced to feed on the steel of any attraction within their grasps.

Darn that means GhostRider is safe.

In all seriousness, I really like this attraction. I'm a big fan of these shooting 3D rides and I really appreciate how the park tried to give it a unique theme instead of the generic Ghost Blasters/Ghost Hunt theme.

Just to compare Iron Reef's length with Guardian's:

WMG: About 1,000 feet of track and 5 scenes.

VttIR: About 600 feet of track with 11 scenes.

I think this might be a decent dark ride.

How much of Guardian's track makes up the outdoor portion? Even if you give CW that much, Knotts is still going to have a LOT more in less space. I look forward to seeing how this turns out, especially if the ride does indeed include physical props.

Just to compare Iron Reef's length with Guardian's:

WMG: About 1,000 feet of track and 5 scenes.

VttIR: About 600 feet of track with 11 scenes.

I think this might be a decent dark ride.

How much of Guardian's track makes up the outdoor portion? Even if you give CW that much, Knotts is still going to have a LOT more in less space. I look forward to seeing how this turns out, especially if the ride does indeed include physical props.

Also remember that according to some news sources, the ride will stop at certain spots (so in a sense it will make up for the shorter length). And the ride will probably move a bit slower then WMG.....technically the interactive portion of WMG lasts about 2ish minutes

EDIT: It might be also worth noting that WMG's track length is actually 921 feet.

The promotional artwork looks great! Very imaginative and original. I like that this attraction will be unique and hence a good fit for Knott's. I hope it falls somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between Transformers: The Ride and Alice in Wonderland. Very promising that practical effects will be used in conjunction with the digital ones.

BTW: Does anyone know the track length of "Alice" at Disneyland (For camparison's sake)...

Thanks*

As a "peeping Tom" looking in the Knott's window, a couple thoughts/questions.

I respect those who like a traditional dark ride with sets and figures throughout; but, with the fully refurbished flume and Calico Mine ride in the last couple years, I am curious why you would want yet another dark attraction of the same style?

I have a hard time trying to see Knott's taking on Disney and Universal in some sort of "Battle of the Titans". It seems the park and CF corporate management has found a good marketing/development path to carve out their own market share; without being foolish enough to take a battering ram to the gates of Disney or Universal.

Finally, I can't even think of comparing a 10-12 million dollar dark ride attraction to a $100 million+ dark ride attraction at Disney or Universal.

I remain curious as to what Knott's overall strategy is. Are they trying to position themselves as a more affordable Disneyland / USH? They seem to be going after the same segments as their competitors, with one right down the street, while spending considerably less in doing so.

After riding WMG many times I will say that it is not on the level of Disney / Universal but it definitely nice to see that style of attraction in a non Universal or Disney park. WMG is fun for all ages which is something that's needed. I am curious to see the capacity issues on this ride as compared to WMG. WMG had picked its stride up by the end of the season, especially once they started the no loose items rule.

Unlike those on Twitter complaining on how they are not going to go to Knott's for this, I am happily going to work Knott's in to a West Coast trip next year in order to ride this. Admittedly though, I am a huge dark ride fan.

So the question is: Justice League: Battle for Metropolis or Voyage to the Iron Reef?

Iron Reef will still have working laser guns and effects come August.

Don't be so sure on that. Sadly a lot of guns would break on a regular basis on Guardian.

Surely the Southern Californians are better at handling guns than the Canadians so there's a chance they'll stay working better!