TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Very grateful that they at least had entertainment options, unlike Universal HHN, although I wish they would have used the bird cage theater, and the mystery lodge theater. [/quote}

No Birdcage, Wild West, Mystery Lodge, or Camp Snoopy stage. Even on the second Thursday, mazes all were 15-45 minute waits...something I've never seen at Haunt before. I think you feel the loss of entertainment at Haunt more, since wait times are nothing new to HHN.

So when can we expect the new dark ride to be announced? Both renovations the past few years have been announced after Haunt but before New Years, right?

I'm hoping that this new dark ride, whatever it may be, will be substantial enough to bring life into that back corner of the park, it's really the only lacking place.

I'm also hoping that with this new addition, Knott's management will feel like they've done enough good for the family aspect of the park to bring in some type of major thrilling attraction! The last "thrilling" ride we've gotten since Silver Bullet (which was 10 years ago from now) was Windseeker, which isn't even here anymore!

Please Knott's, if you want to keep improving like you have, get rid of Boomerang and Sky Tower (and move Wipeout to Windseeker's spot), and put in a B&M Mega Coaster like the size of the Goliath's @ La Ronde or SFOG, or a mini Dive Coaster, or something Intamin! If you did that and had RMC renovate GhostRider with track and trains, you'd have the best non-Disney park in California!

I tend to agree with this post, come out with a killer dark ride in 2015 and then a new thrill coaster in 2016. The dark ride is a no-brainer, since they already have the building and it's always nice to escape the heat in the summer. My family has really enjoyed the recent park additions and revamps the last few years, but 10 years between thrill rides is just too long. I think the loss of Windseeker has hurt the park because that was a new and exciting ride that nobody else in California had. With Harry Potter coming to Universal in 2016, I think Knott's needs a major attraction of their own. I'd love to see a giga like Carowinds is getting, but a winged-coaster or a mini hyper like some have mentioned would be welcomed additions as well.

Very grateful that they at least had entertainment options, unlike Universal HHN, although I wish they would have used the bird cage theater, and the mystery lodge theater. [/quote}

No Birdcage, Wild West, Mystery Lodge, or Camp Snoopy stage. Even on the second Thursday, mazes all were 15-45 minute waits...something I've never seen at Haunt before. I think you feel the loss of entertainment at Haunt more, since wait times are nothing new to HHN.

Unfortunate side effect of having a huge new operation like Special Ops: Infected. It took a lot of resources to get up and running, so there wasn't the budget or the time to build shows. Hopefully next year will bring some more entertainment back since Infected won't be so brand new.

So when can we expect the new dark ride to be announced? Both renovations the past few years have been announced after Haunt but before New Years, right?

I'm hoping that this new dark ride, whatever it may be, will be substantial enough to bring life into that back corner of the park, it's really the only lacking place.

I'm also hoping that with this new addition, Knott's management will feel like they've done enough good for the family aspect of the park to bring in some type of major thrilling attraction! The last "thrilling" ride we've gotten since Silver Bullet (which was 10 years ago from now) was Windseeker, which isn't even here anymore!

Please Knott's, if you want to keep improving like you have, get rid of Boomerang and Sky Tower (and move Wipeout to Windseeker's spot), and put in a B&M Mega Coaster like the size of the Goliath's @ La Ronde or SFOG, or a mini Dive Coaster, or something Intamin! If you did that and had RMC renovate GhostRider with track and trains, you'd have the best non-Disney park in California!

I tend to agree with this post, come out with a killer dark ride in 2015 and then a new thrill coaster in 2016. The dark ride is a no-brainer, since they already have the building and it's always nice to escape the heat in the summer. My family has really enjoyed the recent park additions and revamps the last few years, but 10 years between thrill rides is just too long. I think the loss of Windseeker has hurt the park because that was a new and exciting ride that nobody else in California had. With Harry Potter coming to Universal in 2016, I think Knott's needs a major attraction of their own. I'd love to see a giga like Carowinds is getting, but a winged-coaster or a mini hyper like some have mentioned would be welcomed additions as well.

You two have been to Knott's right? Where the hell would they put a Mega or GIGA coaster? The park is built out.

You two have been to Knott's right? Where the hell would they put a Mega or GIGA coaster? The park is built out.

Grona Lund says "hi."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnHWVaXNNn_KQ5gYeKTVG6JDQpiOnjNfwFqJR1-3J3AEYAYhS8

grona_lund_2013_22.jpg

Knott's can and will put in anything they please. If they don't have room, they will make room. No one thought they had room for SB and they built that.......

Maybe I should have been more specific.... no room without making it an eyesore.

Based on your opinion?

It doesn't fit the character of the park to have coasters stacked upon coasters. Cedar fair is in the thrill business, and I get that, but it seems like the move toward more and more coasters is making the park lose some of it's old charm.

Also, squeezing in a 1,500 ft long wooden twister coaster isn't really the same thing as fitting in a B&M hyper.

It doesn't fit the character of the park to have coasters stacked upon coasters. Cedar fair is in the thrill business, and I get that, but it seems like the move toward more and more coasters is making the park lose some of it's old charm.

Have you seen the new Boardwalk area? Have you been inside to see the re-do's of the Log Ride & Mine Ride? KBF is hardly losing any of its old charm. At this point, I would completely trust park brass to be able to build a big new coaster without losing any of the charm or identity that KBF has.

TBH, I don't really see how/why even Silver Bullet takes anything away from the park's overall identity. The park isn't built out. They have shown they know how to strike a balance just fine.

Maybe I should have been more specific.... no room without making it an eyesore.

Based on your opinion?

Also, squeezing in a 1,500 ft long wooden twister coaster isn't really the same thing as fitting in a B&M hyper.

The "character of the park" has evolved quite a bit over the years...Silver Bullet already snakes through the park and is symbolic IMO of the "new" KBF: a mix of old a new...so why not something else that continues that trend?

^This! Knott's is no longer what it was back when the Knott family ran the park, and in today's market it probably would not be competitive enough. There was a period in the mid-2000s where Cedar Fair was going the more generic route, but over the past few years the park has been morphing into a new identity with a focus on the theme park roots but a modern combination of thrill attractions and family attractions. While it would have been out of place in the Knott family era, Silver Bullet is a perfect fit for this new identity, as it symbolizes how far thrill rides have come since Knott's opened the world's first successful inverting coaster while sitting right next to some of the most historic theme park attractions in the world.

As far as a new coaster goes, I do think Knott's will add a major thrill coaster in the next few years (my guess is 2017) and I do think it will tower over portions of the park, but I don't think it will totally destroy what is there or seem out of place in modern Knott's. I've got no idea what type of coaster it might be, but I'm sure Cedar Fair will come up with a creative idea to give the park a unique thrill without dramatically changing the feel of the park. They've got room, or they will make room.

There was a period in the mid-2000s where Cedar Fair was going the more generic route, but over the past few years the park has been morphing into a new identity with a focus on the theme park roots but a modern combination of thrill attractions and family attractions.

Two words: Matt Ouimet

They actually do have room if they take away Bigfoot Rapids, but that is very unlikely because they would get crap about them taking away all of their water rides. But I do agree, Jaguar, Montezuma Revenge, Silver Bullet, and Sierra Sidewinder are all crammed on top of each other. It is very claustrophobic I would imagine, and since they did just get Coast Rider (I know it is just a wild mouse but it's something), lets give Knott's a break on getting a big coaster. Keep riding Xcelerator for a few years until they might figure something out.

I find it hilarious how everyone seems so against building a coaster at Knotts. Like its illegal to build one at this park because of the history involved and the small amount of space the park has. Times are changing, and the So Cal market is competitive. The park will build based on what the market wants, and if it is a coaster I have full faith that they know where to put it while pleasing everyone (if not most people) and so that it doesn't look out of place. I personally would like to see something thrilling after the focus has been family rides these past few years, but it looks like at this point we will be getting the dark ride for 2015. Cool, now lets switch gears for 2016.

So much of the charm of the park is gone already, I am just happy they are trying to preserve what's left. That being said, since so much of it is gone already...Bring on the kick ass coaster!

I'm all for a coaster with proper theming, nice queue, and one that doesn't destroy Ghost town's atmosphere.

This. It's possible to build a new coaster and make it fit in nicely. I've heard that CF has been eyeing Lightning Run at KK...I think a ride like that could work very well at Knott's.