TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

There are two check-in points on either side of that area of the park (next to Sierra Sidewinder and by Supreme Scream) where you will get your gear and just be let loose in the section to go wild and shoot some zombies! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that you don't get to "let loose." You'll have a "squad leader" that takes you through the various encounters/vignettes. I believe there is two "operations" per route with some other stops along the way.

This is correct, your squad leaders will lead you through the two routes.

I'll be visiting Knott's on Wednesday, Oct. 8. Not for the Haunt, just a day at the park. I'm assuming the park will be dead, am I correct in this assumption? Also, besides the major coasters, is there anything I should absolutely prioritize while there? Conversely, anything I should be sure to avoid?

^Is this going to be your first time at Knott's? I'll assume it will be.

It'll be a Wednesday during Haunt season, so crowds should be very minimal during the day. I heard that Silver Bullet is now running two trains again (there is hardly ever a line when they run two trains). In my opinion, you should definitely ride the big three: Silver Bullet (it gets a lot more crap than it deserves), GhostRider (yes, it's rough, but it's balls out insane), and Xcelerator (obvious reasons). I would also highly recommend Montezooma's (it's sort of the "hidden gem" in the park) and Sierra Sidewinder (the best family coaster I've ridden). If you like average family coasters and want the credits, hit up Coast Rider, Jaguar, and Pony Express. None of them are particularly "thrilling", but still enjoyable.

As for flats, Supreme Scream is definitely the best, but I also enjoy Riptide too. Screamin' Swing is fun if you're willing to fork out $5, and Windseeker is also...wait, nevermind.

And if you have the time and money, I would also suggest the Chicken Dinner Restaurant for lunch/dinner. Those home-made biscuits are to die for.

EDIT: I would also like to add that Boomerang sucks. A lot. If you want the credit, go for it, but if you don't care too much, I would definitely skip it.

^ Yes, it will be my first time there. Plan on riding each coaster you mentioned (including Boomerang), at least once with re-rides depending on what I like and how crowds are. I definitely will ride Supreme Scream, because I love S&S towers and 252 ft. is pretty damn tall.

Should I bother riding the Calico Mine ride?

Went to Haunt last night. The areas by Ghost Rider and Pony Express were a zoo all night long (that's where six of the mazes are), and the rest of the park was relatively busy but felt less crowded. The mazes averaged between 20- and 45-minute waits, and some of the rides were over an hour. The Infection maze was operating on a fastpass-like system but was entirely "sold out" within minutes of the park's opening. There was just one scare zone (from what we could tell), and there weren't too many actors / scares going on in general (it's still early in the season). The Tooth Fairy maze was excellent—really disturbing and gross. Voodoo was also very good, albeit very short. The rest of the mazes were somewhat mediocre/average but each one had a cool scene or effect here or there.

We rode Ghost Rider, the log ride, the mine train, Montezooma, and that new mouse coaster where Perilous Plunge used to be (a fun kiddie-type ride). I've always loved Ghost Rider, even at its most brutal, as I find it to have an exceptional layout. I assume some work has been done on the track as it ran quite well last night—not nearly as rough as it can be, and it was really hauling äss through the first half much faster than I remember in the past (which might be due to the fact that it had been running all day). Great airtime on the first camelback after the initial drop which, when watching it from the outside, looked a lot like El Toro's trains cresting its camelbacks. It also hit the mid-course turnaround far faster than I recall only to be virtually stopped by the MCBR (a smart move, given what follows). It's as wild as ever, but didn't feel nearly as jarring as it can feel. This is one coaster that I hope doesn't get an RMC reworking as the layout is so well done and the roughness seems to be a part of its character. Hopefully they can continue to maintain the track or pad those seats out a touch more in the coming years.

The redone log ride looked good and preserved its cheesy animatronic aesthetic quite well. It still looks dated, but in a good way. The mine train, however, looked more Disneyland-ish and I'm not sure if the witch theme inside was an overlay for halloween or if it was permanent. Either way, it looked economically impressive—sort of like "good on a budget." A pretty fun night overall, but there's room for improvement I think.

Edited by Rotura Violenta

The Infection maze was operating on a fastpass-like system but was entirely "sold out" within minutes of the park's opening.

Welp, that confirms my plan to go directly to this to sign up before doing anything else.

The Infection maze was operating on a fastpass-like system but was entirely "sold out" within minutes of the park's opening.

Welp, that confirms my plan to go directly to this to sign up before doing anything else.

I would if I were you. Honestly, I had no idea what it was so I wasn't bummed to miss it, but others in the group were. You can see part of it from Montezooma's station and it looked like an elaborate assault course. But also, this was a busy night for the park. I haven't been to Knotts for some time, but I've been going to haunt off and on now for the past 15 years or so and I can never remember when it's busy or when it's quiet. I went one year and the park was so oversold that we got into maybe two mazes and on one ride, but every other year I've been, it's been a breeze. Opening weekend, it seems, isn't the best choice.

^ Yes, it will be my first time there. Plan on riding each coaster you mentioned (including Boomerang), at least once with re-rides depending on what I like and how crowds are. I definitely will ride Supreme Scream, because I love S&S towers and 252 ft. is pretty damn tall.

Should I bother riding the Calico Mine ride?

Yeah I would recommend doing Calico Mine Ride and also the Timber Mountain Log Ride. Not thrilling, but relaxing and interesting for sure.

You should be able to get multiple consecutive rerides on Xcelerator in the morning if you want, always seems to be dead first thing in the morning. Boomerang does indeed suck, I finally got my first ride on that one last week and it's even worse than the one at SFDK.

Knott's on a Wednesday

Dude, you're gonna party. I visited on a Tuesday around this time last year and it was a ghost town. 5 rides on Xcelerator front row without getting out of the seat. The longest wait all day was the front row of Ghost Rider, which was two trains.

Can't wait to see Knott's Scary Farm tomorrow night! First time ever doing the event! I'll be live tweeting all night long so if anyone is interested, please follow me @DrMambo85 on Twitter! Pictures, Vines, all kinds of craziness! I'll also be live tweeting from Universal for HHN on Friday night!

The mine train, however, looked more Disneyland-ish and I'm not sure if the witch theme inside was an overlay for halloween or if it was permanent. Either way, it looked economically impressive—sort of like "good on a budget." A pretty fun night overall, but there's room for improvement I think.

It's a special Halloween overlay. The park decided to go minimal, so not to interfere with the ride during day time operation, but still give guests some kind of haunted ride experience. I do miss the days of Red Moon Massacre at Log Ride and Army of the Underworld at Mine Ride, but I understand the decision.

IMO the Witch's Keep overlay this year is the best that it has been since they started the whole green witch theme a couple of years ago. The audio spiels at least tell something of a story. The glory hole is wonderfully creepy. The finale with the shadow green witch effect is a decent startle. It's nothing that will give you nightmares for weeks but works pretty well I thought.