TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

No Giga for Knott's. It would ruin the park more and its doing pretty well now.

How would adding a giga ruin Knott's? There have been no major additions to the park for the past 10 years since Silver Bullet was built. The park has undoubtedly been stepping up and improving in overall quality, but it is definitely time for a new major addition.

^I have mixed feelings about a giga (or any type of hyper coaster really). If they could find a good place for it, make it feel like it belongs in that area, add some subtle theming (like Banshee) and such, it could very well be a great addition. But if they just plop it on top of concrete like they did with Silver Bullet, I'm totally against it.

And after seeing the wonderful things Matt is doing for Knott's, I have total confidence that the new additions in the years to come will be reasonable and "non-Six Flags-y", whether roller coaster, flat ride, dark ride, etc.

I've only ridden ghostrider a couple times in the past couple years, but if the retracking worked, i'd hate to feel what it was like before. used to be my favorite woodie. now it's not even worth talking about, imo. train practically stopped with that second half trim. yuck. or maybe not, probably would kill even more.

i kind of doubt knott's will ever get a giga. they'll have to tunnel the entire first drop if they had to with ghostrider. wish buena park and anaheim would have a living agreement...you want to live in our cities, you put up with any noise our parks make. lol

^Knott's was there first so the neighbors shouldn't complain.

i know they shouldn't but they do, and have. look at california adventure and those covers over california screamin'. and before maliboomer with those disgusting face shields.

also reminds me of the drag strip at pomona fairplex had to stop doing arrive and drive drag races because of noise complaints.

^To be fair, California Screamin' has had the scream tubes since day one and the park was built adjacent to (or possibly partially in) a residential area. I was also the impression GhostRider's shed was more for the benefit of those staying at the Knott's hotel than the park's neighbors.

As for a giga at Knott's...no. Too big for the park. A B&M hyper, however, would be a good fit for the park, satisfy all the thrill seekers in the area, and is different from anything else in Southern California.

I honestly believe the only problem Knott's would face with building a giga would be the complaints from the surrounding residential area. That was one of the main problems the park had when they added Windseeker, and one of the reasons that ride ended up being placed in Fiesta Village. Space wise, if the park wants to build it, they will build it. Just look at Gröna Lund and how that park has incorporated all of its rides, anything is possible.

But if they just plop it on top of concrete like they did with Silver Bullet, I'm totally against it.

Plopped on concrete. Right.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't literally mean on concrete, the point I was getting across is that it was just placed "on top of everything else". There wasn't really an open plot of land for it. That's why it feels a little out of place.

^ They don't have the real estate to devote a swath of land to one ride. Silver Bullet was placed into the area it's in beautifully. It interacts with the other rides, landscape, and pathways very well. Any other large coaster in Knott's' future will be the same way because it's what they're required to do with what they have.

If you wanna talk about dumping coasters on concrete, look at Magic Mountain. Scream, Goliath, Colossus, all dumped into the parking lot. Riddler and Batman dumped into open land. Tatsu and Iron Dragon (EDIT - I meant Ninja because I'm dumb) are the only coasters there I can think of that are designed with the park's landscape in mind.

If you ask me I prefer when rides and coasters aren't dumped into a flattened area. They carry much more character when they've been molded to the needs of the park rather than the park just gutting areas to put something there.

Edited by KBrylczyk

^I see your point(s). Knott's really does have to get creative when adding big rides like SB.

As for 2015 speculation, if we expect to see a WMG-style dark ride in the KotD building, where would the station/lift hill area be (assuming this is a roller coaster)? There really isn't that much room in that area of the park.

^ They don't have the real estate to devote a swath of land to one ride. Silver Bullet was placed into the area it's in beautifully. It interacts with the other rides, landscape, and pathways very well. Any other large coaster in Knott's' future will be the same way because it's what they're required to do with what they have.

If you wanna talk about dumping coasters on concrete, look at Magic Mountain. Scream, Goliath, Colossus, all dumped into the parking lot. Riddler and Batman dumped into open land. Tatsu and Iron Dragon are the only coasters there I can think of that are designed with the park's landscape in mind.

If you ask me I prefer when rides and coasters aren't dumped into a flattened area. They carry much more character when they've been molded to the needs of the park rather than the park just gutting areas to put something there.

When did MM buy Iron Dragon from CP?

I don't agree that Silver Bullet was placed in well. The coaster is a mass of steel that is an eyesore in many angles of the ride and the entire area is a big concrete area. Honestly, the only parts of the ride that are well placed is the helix and the cobra roll.

As for 2015 speculation, if we expect to see a WMG-style dark ride in the KotD building, where would the station/lift hill area be (assuming this is a roller coaster)? There really isn't that much room in that area of the park.

Knott's can squeeze something in without a problem. It's not a matter of where they build it, it is more a matter of will they actually build it.

I visited Wednesday for the first time since I was little, and was very impressed with the park. It helped that there was nobody there; 90% of our rides were walk ons/ one train waits. Here is my analysis of the rides (or a least the big ones):

Xcelerator: AWESOME! My new #2, and #1 in the West. The launch was exhilarating, there was ejector air in the back of the train going over the top hat, and the turns were fun. 10/10; x10

Montezooma: Also awesome. The first classic Shwarzkopf (other than Revolution) that I've ridden, and I was impressed. The loop was intense, and the launch, although a bit jerky, was powerful. I also loved the restraints. 9/10; x4

Silver Bullet: I really don't get the complaints about the lack of intensity; it was very smooth and intense for me. The helix was a great way to end the ride. 9/10; x2

Ghost Rider: The layout was awesome, and it was full of airtime. Although rough, I still enjoyed the ride. It felt better when I sat in the front of a car. 8/10; x3

Boomerang: Didn't ride

Jaguar: An okay family coaster. Very long. 6/10; x1

Coast Rider: A fun mouse, but the trims were a bummer. 7/10; x5 (no line, why not?)

Pony Express: Not as boring as others said. I enjoyed it. 6/10; x1

Sierra Sidewinder: A fun spinning coaster, but I wish it spun more. 8/10; x2

Timber Mountain: An awesome log flume! I loved the themeing and dark ride sections. Still prefer Jurassic Park and Splash Mountain, though. 9/10; x3

Calico Mine Ride: This was a very fun dark ride. I could tell that the renovation helped a lot. Unfortunately, the smoke at the end smelled like burnt marshmallows. 8/10; x1

Supreme Scream: A fun drop tower. More intense than it looks. 8/10; x1

Overall, I had a great time, and recommend visiting on Wednesdays in late August.

^ This man speaks the truth. I visited last September towards the end of the month on a Tuesday. We rode Xcelerator 5 times in a row, front row, without getting up from the seats. Not a single line anywhere all day. The longest wait we had was two trains for the front of Ghostrider.