TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Have you ever been to Haunt? The Camp Snoopy scare zone is probably the best of the bunch IMO. The naturally shaded area allows them to do lots with the fog and lighting, plus the steampunk (and before that medieval) theme has more variety in costumes than Ghost Town. Would be a real bummer if that whole section of the park was just dead with no monsters roaming and just the mazes.

^^ Sounds plausible, but I don't think that has anything to do with being more family friendly, but rather everything to do with ObamaCare implementation that went into effect this month. Employees working over 30 hours a week have to be offered medical benefits. Keep them under 30 hours and the company is exempt. I'd hazard a guess to assume they'd double up on part timers.

What I found very telling in that article is that Ouimet mentioned every major park in Southern California except Magic Mountain. He doesn't even consider them to be competition.

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard SFMM and its location not considered to be in Southern California. Sadly a lot of geographically-challenged people think SoCal ends north of the valley.

What I found very telling in that article is that Ouimet mentioned every major park in Southern California except Magic Mountain. He doesn't even consider them to be competition.

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard SFMM and its location not considered to be in Southern California. Sadly a lot of geographically-challenged people think SoCal ends north of the valley.

It's pretty obvious that SFMM is in Southern California. Farther north than the other parks, but still. What Valley do you mean? I'm Ohioan, so I'm not familiar and I don't really know a boundary. All I know is LA area is in the south and SF is in the north, I don't know the demarcation line between them.

Has anyone seen this screamscape update about the waterpark? They really need it.

???? - Soak City Expansion - Rumor - (7/30/14) Screamscape sources tell us that Knott’s Berry Farm may be looking into a possible expansion to the Soak City waterpark in the next couple of years. The park may most likely expand to take up the parking lot next to the Pacific Spin, or possibly into an empty grass area near Independence Hall.

Let's hope it become true. Some drop capsules, or a bowl slide would work well.

^^ Sounds plausible, but I don't think that has anything to do with being more family friendly, but rather everything to do with ObamaCare implementation that went into effect this month. Employees working over 30 hours a week have to be offered medical benefits. Keep them under 30 hours and the company is exempt. I'd hazard a guess to assume they'd double up on part timers.

I'm not familiar with the law, but the majority of Haunt employees are temp employees who get laid off at the end of the month. There's probably no more than 50 people total who either have other roles in the entertainment department or are part of the build/strike teams. Those people will probably be the lucky ones who are scheduled the 8 hour shifts. The majority hired will be 4 and 6 hour shifts and laid off on the last day of Haunt if what I hear is correct.

That is a good rumor about Soak City. I would really like to see some water coasters built over here for our local waterparks. Knott's in particular has some good space to really take Soak City to the next level. Certainly not a great time PR wise to be advertising any waterpark during our drought crisis though. For KBF, I wonder how badly the install and removal of Windseeker impacted the cap exp. budget for the park over a 5 year plan? Good interview though , thanks for the link.

^^^ It does affect them, even though they are temporary. At my job, it now affects any short term employee, even if just hiring them for one month, apparently. Work over 30 hours a week, and medical benefits have to be offered.

^Not to derail this thread with Obamacare talk, but from what I have been able to google, it sounds like Haunt team members are exempt from the law. From what I gather, employers can calculate "full time" status by looking at all hours worked in a range of anywhere from 3-12 months. Haunt employees obviously won't be with Knott's for that long, except for the ones I mentioned already that are involved with build/strike or have other entertainment roles.

That being said, it will be a real shame to have such a big "dead" area if the rumor is true about no Camp Snoopy scare zone.

Edited by Jew

It looks like Knotts has taken a few steps back in the Halloween industry, while USH has taken a few steps forward! Ive been attending Haunt for 12 years now, and I have to say that this event is unfortunately taken a turn for the worse. I usually visit both Knotts and USH during Halloween, but if they cut back on the Camp Snoopy scare zone, than they've got one less attendee at their park this Halloween.

^100% Agree! I think HAUNT has been far superior the last few years.

I am still especially angry about the whole Bill & Ted fiasco. Mostly how USH handled the whole situation. It was very don't ask, don't tell. And if anyone did ask, like I did. The only responses I got was "I don't know." I am especially upset being as I always fork out the extra coin for the VIP experience and there was no mention of it what so ever upon entry. In fact, my whole group only learned of it after our private tour ended and only after we asked where we were to meet for VIP entry to the show. Our guide just stated (after much prodding) that the show had been cancelled indefinitely and if we had any issues to go speak with guest services or email guest services. So, if I have to choose which event I attend this year, Camp Snoopy or not, I will take HAUNT over HHN in a heart beat. Oh and, f*@k you Jamie Lee Curtis! Get a fu@k!ng sense of humor, or pay attention to the warnings explicitly written and presented before the show. And USH, Man up! Grow a pair! Don't just kowtow to one oversensitive D-list celebrity bit*h! She is .0001% of your core HHN demographic and her opinion should hold the weight of helium.

And USH, Man up! Grow a pair! Don't just kowtow to one oversensitive D-list celebrity bit*h! She is .0001% of your core HHN demographic and her opinion should hold the weight of helium.

FYI, the Jamie Lee Curtis Taete that wrote the article is not the actress, but a male writer for Vice Magazine.

Bill & Ted's was terrible last year anyways, so no loss outside of the capacity.

But anyways...back on topic...only 3 more days until they unveil their haunt lineup!

Its a WMG. I called it before and I'll call it again. That would give them an indoor coaster and a dark ride. Perfect fit. Hopefully it'll include a vertical drop too. One on the west coast would be nice!

Most likely, but with a different theme. After all it's going in the Boardwalk area.

Its a WMG. I called it before and I'll call it again. That would give them an indoor coaster and a dark ride. Perfect fit. Hopefully it'll include a vertical drop too. One on the west coast would be nice!

It's barely a coaster! The coaster aspect is very secondary to the overall experience. It's more of a means as a viable ride system than it is the focus of the ride.

The show building is only about 1/2 the size now compared to when it was KOD because of the Johnny Rockets kitchen ventilation and restaurant AC, so it will be very interesting to see what they do with the space. I'm not expecting anything earth shattering...