TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I heard they're working inside the old Kingdom of the Dinosaurs dark ride. I'm hoping a new dark ride is in the works. I think they should make some type of dark ride... maybe even an interactive dark ride like Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood. Anyone know more about this construction project? What do you guys think would fit well in the place of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs?

I heard they're working inside the old Kingdom of the Dinosaurs dark ride. I'm hoping a new dark ride is in the works. I think they should make some type of dark ride... maybe even an interactive dark ride like Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood. Anyone know more about this construction project? What do you guys think would fit well in the place of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs?

Yes, they definitely are working in the old kingdom of the dinosaurs building as when i went to see Snoopy unleashed I looked across and they have danger caution tape across the entrance. They also have work equipment up there along with som water coolers for the workers and tables

Wonder Mountain Guardian style dark ride. It's also a coaster listed on RCDB.

Any CW people, is this good or bad?

I'm headed to CW in a couple of weeks to see how it goes.

Although I haven't done too much research on Guardian Mountain, I was less than impressed after watching a(n admittedly crappy) POV of the ride online. And hasn't the thing received only so-so reviews? I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think CF's dark ride needs a bit more development before it's ready for prime time.

Does anyone actually have the attendance numbers throughout the years for knotts since maybe like 99-current? I really wanna see if all these family attractions are adding to their attendance. I agree wonder mountain looks pretty bad but I get the fact knotts is a lot cheaper to go to than Disneyland (given Knotts is getting that type of ride). People say knotts is doing all family rides cause of business but is there any proof that attendance is up? I'd also like to see attendance numbers the year a new coaster is finally put in I'd be willing to bet those numbers would be higher.

Edited by adamd

According Wikipedia and several other sources:

2001 - 3,580,000

2002 - Cant find numbers -Xcelerator

2003 - 3,480,000 - La Revolución; Joe Cool's Gr8 Sk8

2004 - 3,600,000 - Silver Bullet; Lucy's Tugboat; Rip Tide and Screamin' Swing

2005 - 3,240,000 - T.G.I. Fridays restaurant added to the marketplace

2006 - 3,670,000 - Johnny Rockets restaurant

2007 - 3,630,000 - Sierra Sidewinder

2008 - 3,565,000 - Pony Express

2009 - 3,333,000 - Pink's, Remodel and re-brand of Viva La Coasters in the California Marketplace

2010 - 3,600,000 - Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular added/Snoopy's Christmas Spectacular.

2011 - 3,654,000 - Wind Seeker

2012 - 3,508,000 - Park improvements

2013 - 3,683,000 - Log Ride re-do, Coast Rider, Scrambler (moved), Gliders

2014 - TBD - New Camp Snoopy Rides, Calico Mine Train re-do

It would seem the answer is no. The park seems to be stuck in the middle 3 Million mark; however, 2013 was the parks best year.

Ok so 2004 was within 80,000 of being the same as 2013,yet Silver Bullet opened the end of 2004 and the New Boardwalk opened middle of 2013. Given a new coaster goes in 2016 (opens middle of the year) I really think the number will be around 3.8-3.9 million because people will want to come back and go on again (I don't think as many people want to go back to ride the new family rides.)

There's more to it than simply attendance numbers. You also have to consider the demographics that are attending. Certain groups tend to spend more inside the park then others. If KBF is looking to boost their coffers, they would want to target and attract those kinds of people in order to increase the park's revenue.

Hey all! I'm new SoCal and have some friends in town visiting who want to go to Knott's this Sunday! I know it's going to be packed and hot, trying to determine a ride strategy and determine if it's worth the extra wait to get the front or back for certain rides. Been reading quite a bit to determine a strategy for the top thrill rides/coaster, I will arrive before they open...To my understanding, I should try for the GhostRider first and that the best seat is the back, but should we just do first available? Second should be the Xcelerator and to sit in the front. Where should we go from there?

Also do they allow camelbaks (backpack with a liquid bladder) and sealed bottles of water?

Hey all! I'm new SoCal and have some friends in town visiting who want to go to Knott's this Sunday! I know it's going to be packed and hot, trying to determine a ride strategy and determine if it's worth the extra wait to get the front or back for certain rides. Been reading quite a bit to determine a strategy for the top thrill rides/coaster, I will arrive before they open...To my understanding, I should try for the GhostRider first and that the best seat is the back, but should we just do first available? Second should be the Xcelerator and to sit in the front. Where should we go from there?

Also do they allow camelbaks (backpack with a liquid bladder) and sealed bottles of water?

You should start by making your way to the back of the park (Xcelerator) so that you can avoid long lines since its only running one train. GhostRider has a huge line in the morning and you should wait till the line dies off. You should defintetly ride GhostRider in the back seat because you get the most airtime.

Sealed bottles of water are 100% ok. Camelbaks should be fine as well as long as it's only filled with water.

Hey Nyteowl. You working during WCB this year, or are you going to be free to enjoy the festivities with the rest of us?

I don't work at Knott's anymore, I had to quit to go on the Scandi tour with TPR. I'll be working as a monster this year for haunt though. That being said, I'll be free to enjoy the festivities .

What I don't get is how smaller parks like Holiday World, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and Dollywood are consistenly adding $20 million + coasters every couple of years, and knotts hasn't added one in 10 years. None of those parks rank in top attendance ever, but knotts does every year. Someone enlighten me please!!!

What I don't get is how smaller parks like Holiday World, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and Dollywood are consistenly adding $20 million + coasters every couple of years, and knotts hasn't added one in 10 years. None of those parks rank in top attendance ever, but knotts does every year. Someone enlighten me please!!!

First of all, Holiday World is a family park, so they don't constantly add $20 million + coasters. Second of all, Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland are near major cities, which are good places to market in (Toronto and Charlotte). And finally, Dollywood is near a major tourist area, another good place to market in. I don't know why Knotts hasn't added a major coaster in a long time, but being in California, I don't see why they don't add major attractions.

Not to mention that Canada's Wonderland is the highest attended season park in the Cedar Fair chain. Far from a small park.

Canada's Wonderland had higher attendance than Knott's in 2012...

Keep in mind that Knott's is open year-round, so I believe it earns more revenue than any other CF park. There is no reason they can't support another thrilling coaster, I just think the reason they haven't built one is the lack of large, open space and wanting to maintain charm in the park.