TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Knott's said there will be alot of color change to fiesta village. Some parts around the hat dance have already been repainted, they are going for the old tan colors. I have mixed feelings about this, I always liked the crazy colors over the tan. It would remind me of some nice Mexico beach side areas.

In my opinion, those "crazy colors" are a bit too tacky for my taste and that tan looks nicer.

Knott's said there will be alot of color change to fiesta village. Some parts around the hat dance have already been repainted, they are going for the old tan colors. I have mixed feelings about this, I always liked the crazy colors over the tan. It would remind me of some nice Mexico beach side areas.

In my opinion, those "crazy colors" are a bit too tacky for my taste and that tan looks nicer.

While I don't agree with the color on the hat dance, Fiesta Village will look alot nicer in tan. I think the arcade building looks great (mainly because of the details) but everything else looks okay. They gotta do something about Silver Bullet's massive supports though.

They gotta do something about Silver Bullet's massive supports though.

They re-painted them to a fresh new silver just a month or two ago. What more could they have done?

As for this ride removal stuff, I'm placing my money on Boomerang for the next candidate. Knott's wouldn't remove Monty unless they really had to. It's a classic, and they know it.

I am at Knott's today and at opening there were many mechanics on a lift looking at the loop and doing welding on montezoomas.

That is a good sign (I think). As I said I hope what I was told is proven to be wrong as I LOVE Monte! I totally agree they should remove Boomerang and re-locate Riptide that'd give I'd think enough room for a small Euro Fighter or an El Loco, but I agree they just repainted Boomerang so I don't see it going, but I would welcome new trains with the vests .

Over all that though I'd love to see a RMC makeover to Ghostrider! I'm sure Cedar Fair is in talks with RMC now (not saying for Ghostrider, just as a relationship between the two companies) and Cedar Fair has several coasters that would GREATLY benefit from RMC. I'd also say I'd understand if Knott's wouldn't do that if SF plans on doing it with Colossus. If thats the case Ghostrider is going to be 17 years in 2015 and I think I speak for a majority that if retracking doesn't work, all I am saying is thats a lot of room to replace Ghostrider with something bigger and better.

Well I had a great day at Knott's today! It was extremely crowded but worth it. I went to Silver Bullet right at opening today as only 1 train operation would keep lines to two hours. It felt like the train was running slow today and the helix wasn't forceful, but still it was fun. Headed over to Ghostrider next and sat in the second car. I waited about an hour but it was well worth i. Surprisingly it was running pretty smooth and I got some airtime. After Ghost rider I headed to Revolution and waited a few minutes. That is when I saw Jaguar closed and mechanics working on Monte's loop. I headed to Xcelerator and rode twice. Xcelerator never gets old and that launch is amazing. I went to 3- point challenge to find out that the price had been raised to 6$ along with other games price raising. It looks as if they just stook stickers over the old prices for Easter weekend.I took a ride on Coast Rider, and boy is it trimmed. I mean as soon as a little lateral force started there were brakes.Boomerang's line was too long so I skipped, but Wipeout had a short line. Wipe out was the surprise of my day as every time you went up you got amazing airtime. I then proceeded to head over to the Rapids only to find out that the line was to the entrance with all the switchbacks open. I skipped that and went to head to Ghost again when the aroma of flank steak with cranberry sauce hit me. I ended buying the 20$ card. More on that latter. Halfway through the day Ghost, Bullet, and Xcellerator had 1 to 2 hour waits. That is when my day got interesting. I went to go on Supreme Scream and I got tower Blue, seats 7 and 8(with sister). I sat in seat 7 in which the restraint felt loose. As we dropped and I pushed a little on my restraint it opened up an inch. So after the third hump I started pushing on the restraint for it to open about 8 inches from my body. I instantly told the ride operator who then went and told the supervisor. Not 20 minutes later and a few test cycles, a mechanic came over and zip tied the restraint shut. I proceed to ride this ride five more times. At 4:30 I headed to Jaguar to see Montezuma's was open and I instantly got in line. I waited 30 minutes and when I got to my turn it went down. The ride had overshot the part of the station it was supposed to be in. You could tell the ops were frustrated and I found out why. The ride operator was talking to the mechanic next to the back row where I was and he said this was the fifth time today this had happened. I ended my ride part of the day with wipe out again.

Totals for rides

Xcellerator: 2

Silver Bullet: 1

Ghost rider: 1

Supreme Scream: 6

Wipe out: 4

Coast Rider: 1

Monte: 1

Sky Cabin: 1

Revolution: 1

Now on to the food:

This last week and next week Knott's is having a Boysenberry festival. During this festival they have station set up through the park for food. They sell a tasting card for 20$. This is what's on this card.

1. Ear of Corn with Farm Fresh boysenberry butter

The verdict: simply amazing as the corn was roasted right in front of you with amazing butter that had boysenberry chunks

2. Spicy Blueberry BBQ Wings

The verdict: This was the best the wings were perfect and the sauce was absolutely amazing. The sauce was infused with boysenberries

3. Deep fried Alligator with fries and Boysenberry Aioli

The verdict: This was definitely the runner up. As a first time alligator eater it really did taste like chicken.

4: Marinated Flank Steak Skewer with spicy Boysenberry BBQ sauce

The Verdict: tender and perfectly cooked.

5. Deep fried Boysenberry Ice Cream

The verdict: I was dissapointed as it was to hard and you had to wait for it to melt otherwise you broke your spoon.

6: Blueberry Stuffed Churro

The verdict: Why can't Disney have these? It was so good

All in all it was a great day at Knott's Berry Farm!

1397965791993.thumb.jpg.90a6397e27c9ca00c53f93d92d688c7a.jpg

Edited by Locostitch

I hope they make a tasting card for West Coast Bash! That's actually a really neat (and delicious) concept...I really want to visit the park just for that!

It is totally worth it and if you really like it you can buy a order separately from the card.

I hope they make a tasting card for West Coast Bash! That's actually a really neat (and delicious) concept...I really want to visit the park just for that!

Figures, i've been going to knotts about once a month or so, but i'm going to miss the tasting card!!! that does sounds awesome!!!

Very interesting to hear your comments about Coast Rider and Silver Bullet. I've ridden Silver Bullet more times than you can count and I've never had a non-forceful ride in the helix. As for Coast Rider, I've never seen it trimmed (aside from the magnetic brakes on a few brake runs when they are needed). I've always experienced wide open brakes on the middle zig zag section. Maybe there were some block issues or something, as I've seen all cars stopped on the brake runs before with riders a few times.

It's also nice to hear that GhostRider is running smoothly. I went in early April and it was just an average amount of roughness for me, but still fairly tolerable. I've pretty much gotten used to the ride.

Very interesting to hear your comments about Coast Rider and Silver Bullet. I've ridden Silver Bullet more times than you can count and I've never had a non-forceful ride in the helix. As for Coast Rider, I've never seen it trimmed (aside from the magnetic brakes on a few brake runs when they are needed). I've always experienced wide open brakes on the middle zig zag section. Maybe there were some block issues or something, as I've seen all cars stopped on the brake runs before with riders a few times.

It's also nice to hear that GhostRider is running smoothly. I went in early April and it was just an average amount of roughness for me, but still fairly tolerable. I've pretty much gotten used to the ride.

In my experience, the big park version of the wild mouse just isn't as forcefull during the hairpin turns as the small compact version. I've ridden 2 of these and they are way more thrilling... don't get me wrong, i enjoy going on this one everytime, but I think the first block run after the drop slows it down to the point that the turns are just not as exciting as they could be....

I've never seen Coast Rider stop on trims. Trimming just really kills a ride. Last time I rode GhostRider it was very bumpy at the second half of the ride, to the point where putting my hands up was painful.

So, I was wondering, those who went on Ghost Rider back in 1998 - 2000 and went on it recently, what current coasters on the east coast did it, in its original form, compare to, and what current coasters on the east coast does it compare to now? (I've sadly never traveled outside the GMT-5 Timezone in my life so far.)

In my experience, the big park version of the wild mouse just isn't as forcefull during the hairpin turns as the small compact version. I've ridden 2 of these and they are way more thrilling... don't get me wrong, i enjoy going on this one everytime, but I think the first block run after the drop slows it down to the point that the turns are just not as exciting as they could be....

You're point about the brake after the first drop is true. However, I have noticed quite a difference in the ride depending on the weight of the car. If only 2 people are in the car, it crawls around the turns, but if you pack 4 adults in the there, it goes a lot faster.

I love the direction Knott's has been going with their recent additions. It seems to me that they're focusing on keeping what they got, a lot of restoration and revitalization! For that very reason, I could absolutely see a complete overhaul of GhostRider. It would seriously improve their coaster selection, not take up any more space, and would please everyone.

Then Knott's should renovate Roaring 20's and make use out of the KOTD space with a new dark ride. This area of the park could definitely use a breath of life.

I'd be ecstatic with only these in the coming years, but if they wanted my advise, I think they should remove Boomerang and the Sky Tower and put in a small Intamin mega coaster. And they should make sure to keep Monte operating too!

Ghostrider was far and away my favorite coaster in this area, for a bit. Loved it those first few years.

I am mixed about the direction Knott's is heading. One one hand, preserving their uniqueness is great with the restoration of Calico, the peek-ins, etc. The push with more special events is great. One the other hand, I feel the recent additions to the attraction roster have been and continue to be just freakishly bland and devoid of creativity for a theme park. For a carnival sure, but for America's first theme park, not quite hitting the mark there. And poor Soak City, didn't know they were creating a water park musuem in 1999. Was the Pacific Spin the last major ride added?

So going forward, more creativity in bringing themed attractions to the Knott's and for them to remember Soak City exists, and then I would say they are on a good track.