TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I want to say I would NEVER post this (even if I heard it from a pretty reliable source) but this source I next to 100% trust. I sincerely hope my source is wrong, but If indeed its true all I'll say is if you like Montezooma's Revenge get a ride in SOON. If anyone else has heard otherwise or if someone else has heard rumblings of this please post.

We spoke to a manager while we were there (on 4/5) who told us (we had mentioned the ride in conversation but didnt ask why it was down, she offered it) that Montezooma is just in rehab and will reopen soon, its not going away at least for now. Just like any shuttle, there's only one train so when it goes to rehab the whole ride shuts down.

I know what people usually think of "park employee told me ______" but for what it's worth this wasnt a casual hire teenager, she was senior and she didn't sound like she was guessing in the slightest.

Also your post doesnt really make sense. The ride is already down, if it were being dismantled, how would one get a ride in soon?

How long will it be down for? We are going next monday 4/21/14 and i really hope that it will be open by then. Weird that knott's website doesn't say anything about it.

I want to say I would NEVER post this (even if I heard it from a pretty reliable source) but this source I next to 100% trust. I sincerely hope my source is wrong, but If indeed its true all I'll say is if you like Montezooma's Revenge get a ride in SOON. If anyone else has heard otherwise or if someone else has heard rumblings of this please post.

It's not going anywhere. What else would they replace it with in that narrow space?

On top of that, it was a question asked at WCB. Jeff responded with, "It's not going anywhere. It's a classic".

If it did leave though, I would throw a tantrum and scream like a little kid. I LOVE Monty. It's a great "quick thrill" with little wait.

I too find it hard to believe that Monte will be leaving anytime soon, but you can never say never. At some point the cost of operating it vs. the benefit of operating it is going to diminish to the point it makes business sense to replace it.

^Agreed. A lot of parts for Zoom have to be made in-house so yea eventually it will not be cost effective to keep it running. I give Zoom another 3-5 years and then it might be on the way out. It was one of my favorite rides to operate when I worked at the park.

I could see them putting in an impulse in it's place when the time does come. (How long since a new impulse has been built?) Of course I'd love them to do a ride that somehow paid tribute to Monte kinda like Flight Deck becoming the Bat at KI. A continuation of the theme somehow.

The day Monte leaves will be a sad day for the farm.

This may sound strange but Monte is probably my favorite coaster in the park. I can't get enough of that loop... it's probably my favorite vertical loop on any coaster (though Kumba is close). Normally I think traditional vertical loops are kind of dull inversions but the one on Monte is incredibly forceful.

I too find it hard to believe that Monte will be leaving anytime soon, but you can never say never. At some point the cost of operating it vs. the benefit of operating it is going to diminish to the point it makes business sense to replace it.

Good point. That would be a sad day.

But I don't think today is that day.

While I don't think it will happen right now, I could definitely see Montezooma's Revenge leaving in the not too distant future. The ride will be 40 years old in 2018, and I assume the park will do whatever they can to keep it until then. After that, however, it may be time to retire the ride (or give it a significant overhaul like Psyke Underground). I don't know how much the ride costs to maintain now, but it does seem like it has been going down for maintenance more frequently in recent years. Montezooma's Revenge is my second favorite coaster at Knott's (after Xcelerator), and while I would hate to see it leave the ride is getting old and doesn't seem to pull that large of ridership numbers anymore (it always has the shortest line of the major coasters), so it may no longer be economical to keep the ride running.

I was at the park yesterday and Montezuma's Revenge was not running. Riptide is also down. It's been down for months. I heard from another site that they have to get parts from Germany where it is made and it takes forever. Krazy kirk and the hillbillies are playing in the bird cage for spring break and the park has a nice Dj dance stage on top of the fountain. They start at 7:30 until close. They have lights and dancers and Dj dance music of course. Silver bullet is running only one train. The other is in rehab. They are open until 10 for spring break. The 27th I believe it ends. If your going to ride rides, after 8:00 the lines start dying down a lot.

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the tickets for KBF. So I already purchased Knott's e-tickets online and printed them out. However, I noticed that on the bottom it says that photo ID may be required for entrance. Does the photo id have to be of the purchaser of the tickets? Because my parents (who purchased the tickets) have to work that day so I am driving there with my friends. The same situation with our fast lane passes...does the id have to be of the purchaser? If that is the case, then what should I do? Will they still let us in? Because I know for a fact that my parents cannot take a day off that day.

I can imagine Knott's without MZ. How has Wicked Twister performed for Cedar Point over the years? Or a installation similar to the former Speed in Las Vegas? I think there are plenty of options to create a similar experience to MZ once it reaches the end of it's operational life.

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the tickets for KBF. So I already purchased Knott's e-tickets online and printed them out. However, I noticed that on the bottom it says that photo ID may be required for entrance. Does the photo id have to be of the purchaser of the tickets? Because my parents (who purchased the tickets) have to work that day so I am driving there with my friends. The same situation with our fast lane passes...does the id have to be of the purchaser? If that is the case, then what should I do? Will they still let us in? Because I know for a fact that my parents cannot take a day off that day.

I have never been asked for an ID when using those e-tickets.

Knott's said there will be alot of color change to fiesta village. Some parts around the hat dance have already been repainted, they are going for the old tan colors. I have mixed feelings about this, I always liked the crazy colors over the tan. It would remind me of some nice Mexico beach side areas.

10256087_781258131925918_6659224552553386095_o.thumb.jpg.1d88ef7b3316f3f3e423be5c40d0ab6f.jpg

There's no reason to think that MR will leave at all, or ever at this point. Operational costs have plateaued since all necessary replacement parts are already custom fabricated in house. As pointed out earlier the ride is approaching its 40th anniversary and it's safe to say that ridership has also leveled out; not much is different with this ride today than was the case 15 years ago.

It's not a maintenance, power, or real estate drain. It is a classic ride that still sees its fair share of ridership and adds to the coaster count while having relatively little downtime. There is not a single piece of metal on that machine that has not already or could not be replaced with simple metal fabrication. LIM transformation would be much more conceivable than it's removal. Hell, why aren't we having this conversation about Boomerang? Seems MUUUCH more likely.

OMG!!! 'Zoom's been down longer than a week! Quick, everyone get your last rides in - it's days are surely numbered!

Between this conversation that pops up every 6 months or so and everything I read on the Magic Mountain page if there's one thing the folks of this site are good at it's making mountains out of molehills.