TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Exactly. One train operation on Xcelerator and Silver Bullet are brutal when it is crowded at KBF. They shouldn't get a free pass when we ripped on SFMM for not buying a spare for YOLOCoaster...

It doesn't even seem that Xcelerator could run with two trains. Here is why. You have the mag brake (not a block, it can't stop the train entirely), a main brake that seems to hold one train, and a station. If the train launches with one train on the main brake, and the brakes don't release, the trains will collide. If you release the train from the main brake and the ride doesn't launch, the trains will collide. It seems impossible to run 2 trains. Just my 2 cents. Can anybody produce a video of the ride running with 2 trains showing the cycle?

I have seen it run two trains. It runs exactly like any other coaster would with two trains. The only difference is a slight delay of the train on the block advancing into the station, because the train on the block remains on the block until the previous train clears the top hat. Other than that, the ride runs two trains as any other coaster would.

Edit:

And, during stacking, the final block is actually the u turn before the station. That is where the trains wait. There is plenty of space to slow down before the curve.

Exactly. One train operation on Xcelerator and Silver Bullet are brutal when it is crowded at KBF. They shouldn't get a free pass when we ripped on SFMM for not buying a spare for YOLOCoaster...

It doesn't even seem that Xcelerator could run with two trains. Here is why. You have the mag brake (not a block, it can't stop the train entirely), a main brake that seems to hold one train, and a station. If the train launches with one train on the main brake, and the brakes don't release, the trains will collide. If you release the train from the main brake and the ride doesn't launch, the trains will collide. It seems impossible to run 2 trains. Just my 2 cents. Can anybody produce a video of the ride running with 2 trains showing the cycle?

Xcelerator use friction wheels as blocks just like most of the newer Intamins. I think Expedition GeForce's train also wait in the turn before entering the station.

Xcelerator has run two trains on a fairly consistent basis since it opened. When stacked, the second train sits outside the station on the "U" portion of track behind it. It moves into the station only after the other train has cleared the launch. It would take multiple catastrophic failures for there to be a collision in that zone: the retractable magnetic brakes would had to have to have somehow gotten stuck down (their default position is up---power goes out or any fault comes up and they go up by default) AND a train would have to not move out of the "U" portion of track behind the station.

Edited by Jew

^Correct. As someone who operated the ride for 5 years, I'll chime in here.

XC can and does run 2 trains on a pretty consistent basis, barring either train being out for inspection/rehab.

Knott's mechanics do what's called a "set-up" test every morning on all the coasters with multiple trains including XC. Whole premise behind the "setup" test is to verify that the rides safety system is functioning as intended.

The mechanics will leave a train in the "Waiting block" and then launch the train in the station. In the picture below you will see a set of 2 proximity sensors just in front of the train.

Once that train flags those sensors, the PLC will allow the operators in the station to press the "Station Ready" buttons and then it will automatically advance the train into the station from the waiting block. For the purpose of the "Set-up" test, the mechanics will not advance the train in the waiting block on purpose to verify that the train that has been launched stops at the end of the "Brake block."

The rides PLC knows the difference between a loaded train and an empty train based on 1: How much power was needed to get the train up to the required 79.5 MPH needed to clear the Top Hat and 2: How fast it enters the brake block. If the waiting block is occupied, an empty train will advance to the end of the brake block but a loaded train will stop a little ways out as an added safety precaution. Little hard to explain so if you need further clarification please feel free to PM me.

^Correct. As someone who operated the ride for 5 years, I'll chime in here.

XC can and does run 2 trains on a pretty consistent basis, barring either train being out for inspection/rehab.

Knott's mechanics do what's called a "set-up" test every morning on all the coasters with multiple trains including XC. Whole premise behind the "setup" test is to verify that the rides safety system is functioning as intended.

The mechanics will leave a train in the "Waiting block" and then launch the train in the station. In the picture below you will see a set of 2 proximity sensors just in front of the train.

Once that train flags those sensors, the PLC will allow the operators in the station to press the "Station Ready" buttons and then it will automatically advance the train into the station from the waiting block. For the purpose of the "Set-up" test, the mechanics will not advance the train in the waiting block on purpose to verify that the train that has been launched stops at the end of the "Brake block."

The rides PLC knows the difference between a loaded train and an empty train based on 1: How much power was needed to get the train up to the required 79.5 MPH needed to clear the Top Hat and 2: How fast it enters the brake block. If the waiting block is occupied, an empty train will advance to the end of the brake block but a loaded train will stop a little ways out as an added safety precaution. Little hard to explain so if you need further clarification please feel free to PM me.

I find it odd that Maint does your block tests in the morning as apposed to the crew. I understand that the only park that allows crews to transfer on and off trains is us at CP. But I thought the crews at least did the saftey tests in the AM. I guess you learn something new everyday.

I never understood why the lift was red but it's nice to see it getting some new paint.

Apparently it's based on some kind of "legend" about a mining car with an anti-ghost system on it or something. Whether this is a folklore legend or made up just for the ride I have no idea. Could somebody chime in on this?

Knott's sent us a Camp Snoopy update today...

Camp Snoopy’s 30th Anniversary: Week Two Update

The first step on your journey through Camp Snoopy’s High Sierras will now be more realistic than ever. Knott's Berry Farm’s Project Development team has broken ground in Camp Snoopy and enhanced the pathways that surround the freshly painted Sierra Sidewinder. By the end of construction, this dirt-like pavement will wind through all of Camp Snoopy’s midways. The pavement, along with new rustic lighting and fence structures, further bring to life the outdoor camp atmosphere.

Let’s take a hike over to the North end of Camp Snoopy where we find the re-themed Timberline Twister! The ride puts you in the driver seat of Charlie Brown’s entry into this year’s Camp Snoopy Pinewood Derby. Twist your way through the trees and the surrounding wilderness as you race to the finish line to help Charlie Brown win his first merit badge. As part of construction, the attraction will also feature a new loading station shade structure. The Timberline Twister is a not-so-scary kids’ roller coaster located next to Camp Bus.

31033868_CampSnoopyMidway.jpg.d8b622327b49a965c4333ce4d4ef13ae.jpg

941417647_TimberlineTwisterNewLookPhoto.jpg.e35defd84d86cc1f48a6beec9ce7bc67.jpg