TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^I agree. I think they are smart enough to realize trying to compete with one of the most famous parks in the entire world backed by a corporate giant isn't going to work out for them. What they do realize, however, is that there is a market in so cal for a balanced park that offers experiences for guests of all ages at a better price point than Disney. The family additions of late IMO are just their way of offsetting the years of constant thrill rides from the old management team. I suspect a thrill ride will still be on the way in the next few years, once the balance has been achieved again.

^I agree. I think they are smart enough to realize trying to compete with one of the most famous parks in the entire world backed by a corporate giant isn't going to work out for them. What they do realize, however, is that there is a market in so cal for a balanced park that offers experiences for guests of all ages at a better price point than Disney. The family additions of late IMO are just their way of offsetting the years of constant thrill rides from the old management team. I suspect a thrill ride will still be on the way in the next few years, once the balance has been achieved again.

Really?

Family (6)

Lucy Tugboat, Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, Wipeout, Gr8 Sk8, Woodstock Airmail

Thrill (9)

Screaming Swings, Silver Bullet, Revolution, Riptide, Supreme Scream, Xcellerator, Perilous, Vertigo, Windseeker

Seems like they went back and fourth to me.

Really?

Family (6)

Lucy Tugboat, Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, Wipeout, Gr8 Sk8, Woodstock Airmail

Thrill (9)

Screaming Swings, Silver Bullet, Revolution, Riptide, Supreme Scream, Xcellerator, Perilous, Vertigo, Windseeker

These are all of the rides that were added in Knott's in the 21st century with red being thrill rides and green being family/kiddie rides.

2000 - Perilous Plunge

2001 - VertiGo

2002 - Xcelerator

2003 - La Revolucion

2003 - Great Skate

2004 - Silver Bullet

2004 - Lucy's Tugboat

2004 - Screamin' Swing

2004 - Riptide

2007 - Sierra Sidewinder

2008 - Pony Express

2011 - WindSeeker

2013 - Coast Rider

2013 - Surfside Gliders

2014 - Camp Snoopy renovation (Likely, several new rides will be built)

It looks more like a transition from thrill to family rather than simply going back and forth.

I really don't see any point in trying to compete with Disney right down the street, or even any other park. If you want to enjoy family oriented attractions then go to Disney, If you want heart pumping thrills, and maybe a bit of family attractions to go with it then go to Knotts Berry Farm. Disney and Knotts are two entirely different parks each having their own things to offer. That being said, during the Halloween season Knotts has Halloween Haunt while Disney has Mickey's Halloween Party. If you want to be scared out of your whits then go to Haunt, if you want something maybe a little bit more age appropriate especially for younger children then go to Mickey's Halloween Party. I think its best for any amusement/theme park to just be itself.

I got this email from Knott's the other day:

401140092_knottsemail.PNG.21bea1d9ad6a9729fcd1005cd62b6cb8.PNG

So, it looks like Camp Snoopy will be receiving a total of three new rides. Though, there is a possibility that it was a typo as the Boardwalk also received three "new" rides this year.

(Also, I renewed my pass a few months ago, yet I still get these e-mails. )

I really don't see any point in trying to compete with Disney right down the street, or even any other park. If you want to enjoy family oriented attractions then go to Disney, If you want heart pumping thrills, and maybe a bit of family attractions to go with it then go to Knotts Berry Farm. Disney and Knotts are two entirely different parks each having their own things to offer. That being said, during the Halloween season Knotts has Halloween Haunt while Disney has Mickey's Halloween Party. If you want to be scared out of your whits then go to Haunt, if you want something maybe a little bit more age appropriate especially for younger children then go to Mickey's Halloween Party. I think its best for any amusement/theme park to just be itself.

Anyone who thinks Knott's is trying to compete with Disney is incorrect. They are distinguishing themselves as a different family park, and not trying to compete.

Really?

Family (6)

Thrill (9)

Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express don't count as family rides, since their height requirement is 48" (well, 42" for Sidewinder with an adult). They might be tame, but the height requirements deter families from being able to ride together.

Really?

Family (6)

Thrill (9)

Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express don't count as family rides, since their height requirement is 48" (well, 42" for Sidewinder with an adult). They might be tame, but the height requirements deter families from being able to ride together.

I think Knott's have done a great job of adding a good mix of both beginner and intermediate rides to complete the influx of thrill rides installed from the mid 90s through 2004. I think the park is due for a real thrill ride, but that may still be a few years off. In the meantime they're doing a good job on focusing on detail and appealing to all ages, which is important. The theme park ecosystem in LA has a pretty specific balance, and all the parks operate knowing their individual place in it. Disneyland appeals to younger children and families, with a few thrill rides for the older kids and adults, Universal caters to families seeking intellectual property rides, but mostly skews to teenagers, and Magic Mountain focuses on coasters. Knotts gets everyone else, as well as a lot of Disney guests seeking an extra park experience. Magic Mountain know they can get away with slacking on park upkeep because the GP will always come ride the coasters. Likewise Knott's know that they exist to cater to people looking for a well rounded old fashioned theme park, so they focus on offering a large variety of rides and keeping the park look nice.

Something interesting to throw into the Camp Snoopy renovation speculation mix (Hey, that rhymes!):

Someone I know who worked Slaughterhouse at Haunt two years in a row had informed me that they are retiring Slaughterhouse for haunt. In addition, they are very certain that venue they had used for the maze will be retired. Sounds like they may be using that space under the stagecoach trail for the renovation...Possibly a small dark ride? I think that space would be perfect for a Sally Corp. Peanuts shoot-em-up style ride. I heard rumblings of them wanting to do a Peanuts-themed dark ride, so who knows?

Edited by Someotherguyuser

Something interesting to throw into the Camp Snoopy renovation speculation mix (Hey, that rhymes!):

Someone I know who worked Slaughterhouse at Haunt two years in a row had informed me that they are retiring Slaughterhouse for haunt. In addition, they are very certain that venue they had used for the maze will not be retired. Sounds like they may be using that space under the stagecoach trail for the renovation...Possibly a small dark ride? I think that space would be perfect for a Sally Corp. Peanuts shoot-em-up style ride. I heard rumblings of them wanting to do a Peanuts-themed dark ride, so who knows?

Snoopy's Red Baron Adventure. I don't foresee any of the rest of the peanut gang using guns. On the flip side, Snoopy doesn't have opposable thumbs either.

Small update.

Here is all that remains of Windseeker's tower, as of today.

photo.thumb.JPG.0e5fad1fd074254671abdd0a16cf43b6.JPG

I made a quick stop by the park after the rain cleared around 5pm today. Ghostrider was running exceptionally well for my ride in the newly-refurbed silver train (even in a wheel seat). It was honestly the smoothest ride I've had on it in probably a decade. Not sure what the details were of KBF's pre-Haunt maintenance to this thing this year -- but it seems to be working!

Other than that, the park was mostly dead because of the rain earlier in the day. A few quick laps on Xcelerator which was running 2 trains, and the same on Sierra Sidewinder.

Now, back to Camp Snoopy speculation.

Small update.

Here is all that remains of Windseeker's tower, as of today.

[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

I made a quick stop by the park after the rain cleared around 5pm today. Ghostrider was running exceptionally well for my ride in the newly-refurbed silver train (even in a wheel seat). It was honestly the smoothest ride I've had on it in probably a decade. Not sure what the details were of KBF's pre-Haunt maintenance to this thing this year -- but it seems to be working!

Other than that, the park was mostly dead because of the rain earlier in the day. A few quick laps on Xcelerator which was running 2 trains, and the same on Sierra Sidewinder.

Now, back to Camp Snoopy speculation.

Indeed, the park was quite dead today. Our line at Ghost Rider didn't get over 10 minutes all day. I also think Ghostrider has been running really well lately. I'm young so I don't notice the jarring as much, but when I do test rides in the morning I never have any super rough spots.

Someone I know who worked Slaughterhouse at Haunt two years in a row had informed me that they are retiring Slaughterhouse for haunt. In addition, they are very certain that venue they had used for the maze will be retired. Sounds like they may be using that space under the stagecoach trail for the renovation...Possibly a small dark ride? I think that space would be perfect for a Sally Corp. Peanuts shoot-em-up style ride. I heard rumblings of them wanting to do a Peanuts-themed dark ride, so who knows?

If they were to remove the stage area, that could work. Otherwise it would be a pretty small dark ride.

I agree with the comments that Knott's isn't trying to directly compete with Disney. Mr Ouimet with his Disney background knows that a good mix of thrill rides, family rides, and atmosphere will drive a broader crowd (and therefore a bigger crowd) to all the Cedar Fair parks. The direction Knott's is gong is very exciting to me.

Windseekers go up quickly once the foundation is done so it isn't surprising that they can go down so quickly.

If they were to remove the stage area, that could work. Otherwise it would be a pretty small dark ride.

Theme it to the Great Pumpkin. You can ride in your "Red Baron Rocket Plane" and try to capture the most pumpkins with your "Blanket Blaster" and "If" you don't get enough the ride ends short and if you get enough points, You get to meet the Great Pumpkin.

Just an idea.

If they stick with a Red Baron theme, they could theme the vicinity to a small flight deck with the Red Baron flat ride right next to it. The queue for the dark ride could be right where Gr8 Sk8 is. The only issue I could see with this would be wanting to keep a show venue. I can't imagine that would be a big deal, but even if it was, I'm sure finding a replacement space would not be too much of a hassle.

Didn't someone who works at Knott's mention earlier that he heard rumblings of Gr8 Sk8 leaving? That sounds all too perfect for speculation of a small dark ride. A venue no longer being used for haunt that has a descent amount of space, an out-of-place ride to possibly get axed to open up queue space, a possible Red Baron theme could tie-in with the plane ride directly next to it.....at this point, I would be surprised if this was all a coincidence and a dark ride wasn't happening.

If they stick with a Red Baron theme, they could theme the vicinity to a small flight deck with the Red Baron flat ride right next to it. The queue for the dark ride could be right where Gr8 Sk8 is. The only issue I could see with this would be wanting to keep a show venue. I can't imagine that would be a big deal, but even if it was, I'm sure finding a replacement space would not be too much of a hassle.

Didn't someone who works at Knott's mention earlier that he heard rumblings of Gr8 Sk8 leaving? That sounds all too perfect for speculation of a small dark ride. A venue no longer being used for haunt that has a descent amount of space, an out-of-place ride to possibly get axed to open up queue space, a possible Red Baron theme could tie-in with the plane ride directly next to it.....at this point, I would be surprised if this was all a coincidence and a dark ride wasn't happening.

They could move Gr8 Sk8 elsewhere like in front of Jaguar OR by Pony Express

I stopped by the park for a couple hours today to get an update on Windseeker. The entire tower has been removed from the ride site and moved across the street. Here's the couple pictures I got today...

IMG_2985.thumb.JPG.af505f34fa5f3116015bea512832d8ae.JPG

Peeking through the hole in the construction walls

IMG_2986.thumb.jpg.b34d6bdfad787cd724e91b7382e78439.jpg

It's hard to tell, but you can see the poles sticking up where the base of the tower stood

IMG_2988.thumb.JPG.536a8684c76dfca9775555e272968da2.JPG

All the parts lined up across the street

IMG_2991.thumb.jpg.60c625a7d85a577cd0fa9d0f6bc032a1.jpg

They were loading the tower pieces onto separate trucks throughout the day