TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Hey All! Going to Knotts for the second time next Wednesday! WCB was my first visit and I loved the park but left after only a half day to go to Disney (wasn't planning on skipping out on the day and evening ERT, but we ran into a friend who works for Disney animation and walked us in. Can't turn down free Disney, wouldn't be American). I haven't even ridden Ghostrider, Supreme Scream, or even visited Camp Snoopy or Fiesta Village. Looking forward to taking all I haven't seen plus the mine ride before refurb since I know I'll be back. I've got four quick (and maybe dumb) questions for those of you with more KBF experience than I, any advice is appreciated!

1. It's the day before Thanksgiving, will it be crazy packed?

2. Ghostrider- More or less rough than, say, Grizzly at CGA? Love coasters, not pain, or much anyway.

3. I'm flying in from NorCal very early morning, we're staying in Anaheim (Thanksgiving at Disneyland! I'm taking an airport shuttle either to the hotel in Anaheim or straight to Knotts. I'd like to go straight to Knotts to make opening but I'm wondering if there are lockers there that could fit a carry-on sized bag? Or somewhere to leave it outside the park? The alternative is to shuttle to the hotel in Anaheim to drop bag then take a bus/cab to Knotts. But I'm thinking DL area traffic might be a nightmare that day.

4. Would you even consider reading my Knotts/DL Thanksgiving Photo Trip Report?

Happy Thanksgiving TPR-ers!

I'm very excited to hear that Camp Snoopy is getting some attention. First off, it needs MAJOR repaving which I'm sure it will get. Every time I walk through there, I nearly trip over the uneven pavement and tree roots growing from underneath in certain areas. As far as new rides, the only spot I can think of is the old Playhouse are, or where Mirror Mirror was during Haunt this year. Otherwise, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see some of the older rides get replaced.

2. Ghostrider- More or less rough than, say, Grizzly at CGA? Love coasters, not pain, or much anyway.

3. I'm flying in from NorCal very early morning, we're staying in Anaheim (Thanksgiving at Disneyland! I'm taking an airport shuttle either to the hotel in Anaheim or straight to Knotts. I'd like to go straight to Knotts to make opening but I'm wondering if there are fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo there that could fit a carry-on sized bag? Or somewhere to leave it outside the park? The alternative is to shuttle to the hotel in Anaheim to drop bag then take a bus/cab to Knotts. But I'm thinking DL area traffic might be a nightmare that day.

1: It might. Black Friday is always strange for parks as it can be packed or have not many people being there. I would expect Knott's to have a good amount of people that day.

2: GhostRider is much rougher than Grizzly. Heck, Grizzly isn't that rough at all.

3: I don't believe any rides at Knott's have a forced locker policy.

4: Yes.

3. I'm flying in from NorCal very early morning, we're staying in Anaheim (Thanksgiving at Disneyland! I'm taking an airport shuttle either to the hotel in Anaheim or straight to Knotts. I'd like to go straight to Knotts to make opening but I'm wondering if there are fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo there that could fit a carry-on sized bag? Or somewhere to leave it outside the park? The alternative is to shuttle to the hotel in Anaheim to drop bag then take a bus/cab to Knotts. But I'm thinking DL area traffic might be a nightmare that day.

1. I would not expect it to be packed, but I would not expect it to be empty either. My guess is major rides will be 30-45 minute waits. If it's busy, start in the Boardwalk and go counter-clockwise around the park. Expect two train operation on everything with two trains except Jaguar (I visited last weekend and the second train was in pieces). Thanksgiving is always a tricky time to predict theme park crowds as all the schools have different break schedules. You are better off going before Thanksgiving than after, however.

2. GhostRider varies between moderately rough and violently rough depending on how it is running on that particular day. On average, I'd say it's comparable to Roar in terms of roughness. For a smoother ride, go early in the morning and ride in the front of one of the first three cars. If you've never been on GhostRider you should definitely try it once.

3. If you mean something like a backpack, then yes. If you mean a rolling suitcase, I don't believe so (I'm not even sure if you could bring it into the park), and I don't know of anywhere outside the park to store luggage. You can try contacting the park for a definite answer, but you're probably better off going to the hotel and then back to Knott's.

4. Yes. I always like to see what people think of my local parks compared to my own opinion.

1: It might. Black Friday is always strange for parks as it can be packed or have not many people being there. I would expect Knott's to have a good amount of people that day.

2: GhostRider is much rougher than Grizzly. Heck, Grizzly isn't that rough at all.

3: I don't believe any rides at Knott's have a forced fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy.

4: Yes.

Grizzly just need new PTC Trains. It has seatbelts, a bar, and a 2nd thing of seatbelts between the lap bar and car.

sfcoasterfan - try to catch the silver train on Ghostrider. It came out of rehab most recently. Rode the front of the silver train a few days ago and it was the best ride i've had on it in years. Rode the back too and it was definitely not the worst ride I've had. I don't really mind the roughness on Ghostrider most of the time because of the speed/pacing (with the exception of the MCBR)

Just some quick news, no pictures. A crane has been positioned in Fiesta Village to take down Windseeker next to the Merry Go Round. The Red hats are in the process of being put back on Hat Dance, with one installed today. The other two are being assembled behind Dragon Swing, so that'll help with the rides capacity. Haven't heard anything about the CS renovation other than rumors of Snoopy Bounce, Great Sk8, and Log peeler being removed, and a Vekoma Family Suspended possibly coming.

Just some quick news, no pictures. A crane has been positioned in Fiesta Village to take down Windseeker next to the Merry Go Round. The Red hats are in the process of being put back on Hat Dance, with one installed today. The other two are being assembled behind Dragon Swing, so that'll help with the rides capacity. Haven't heard anything about the CS renovation other than rumors of Snoopy Bounce, Great Sk8, and Log peeler being removed, and a Vekoma Family Suspended possibly coming.

I hope to see pics of Windseeker being dismantled. I'm particularly interested because it is heading to one of my home parks...

what? why? It'd be a shame to get rid of the Snoopy Bounce because its been there forever and almost seems like a symbal at this point. Doesn't the park already have enough family friendly coasters? Wish they would build something more substantial for children. They already have Jaguar, Timberline Twister, Pony Express, and now Coast Rider. I think some more variety in different types of family attractions and experiences would be good. A lot of younger kids are still pretty terrified of coasters regardless of how thrilling they are simply because they look intimidating.

^ Yeah, after the recent addition of Coast Rider, I would be a little disappointed to see a Vekoma SFC. And about Snoopy Bounce, the giant inflatable Snoopy has been gone for quite some time now, so unless they restore Snoopy back, I wouldn't mind it being removed.

Anyway, here's a small trip report--just words, no pictures.

Xcelerator was running one train, but the line never reached past the ramp. We went on this once.

Coast Rider had about 2 switchbacks full. Great family coaster; definitely the best "transition" coaster from Timberline Twister but still not as crazy as Jaguar! or Sierra Sidewinder.

Montezooma's Revenge was fantastic as always. No braking that I could notice. Definitely the 2nd best ride in the park (doesn't quite top Xcelerator)! Glad to see it so well-kept. A paint job would be nice though.

The full Windseeker tower is still up. A giant crane is hanging out by it. The entire gondola is gone though. And since there are no apparent replacements for it in 2014, I think we will just be seeing a seating area replace it for now. Fiesta Village definitely needs it. We ate at the Mexican fast food place right under Silver Bullet's drop, and it was quite challenging to find a seat.

Jaguar! was VERY rough. I've been on this ride countless times, but it seems to be getting rougher and rougher. It's almost to the point where it is hard to be classified as a family coaster--especially with a 48" height requirement. Not a very comfortable ride.

Overall a good day in the park. Bigfoot Rapids was closed. The TMLR was open though; I love the new animatronics! Can't wait to see what Garner Holt comes up with for the Mine Ride next year.

I'll also be heading to SFMM tomorrow (26th). I'll try and get some photos rather than just words.

^ Hmm--that's weird. Maybe rough isn't the right word; I guess it would be "uncomfortable." The lack of a seat divider and an individual seatbelt allows you to slam into the person next to you on those s-curves. It must be a personal preference because the GP seem to really like it.

I'm with you on jaguar. I think because it does not secure you to the seat. I move around a little too much as my body attempts to kill my child. Lol. Just no real good leg room I guess so it's hard to stop the motions. But not a deal breaker. I still love riding it