TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

What are you guys talking about? The upcoming Giga at Knott's has been the theme park industry's worst kept secret. That was talked about since 2000 at least!

Sadly, I think thats never going to happen. As much as I love Gigas, Knotts would have to take out a lot of existing attractions to fit a Giga, like they did for Silver Bullet

A lot of people smarter than any one of us on this forum get paid a lot more money than us to figure out things like how a big roller coaster could fit into KBF (should they chose to go that route). It can and will be done if they want it to happen.

^ Necessarily, they wouldn't have to take out A LOT but if Knott's wanted to build such an attraction, yes they would make room.

I think they were looking at putting it near ghostrider. There is room back there. But I can't see this as being on the top of their list as this doesn't seem to be their direction anymore.

I personally feel like the Giga coming to Knotts is slim to none. I just cant see it happening. I can see it coming to SFMM before it ever lands at Knotts.

I know Knott's cannot build over any of the streets that surround the park (except of course the offshoot of Beach Blvd that passes the entrance and Mrs, Knotts chicken dinner restaurant), but I have always wondered if they could get past the space issue for a huge ride if they tunneled the ride under one of the streets. Say they build the station in the park near to the park's border and have the train go through a tunnel to a lift hill and layout that mostly circles Soak City or one of their parking lots and then returns through the same tunnel and hits the brake run once back in the park proper.

I've wondered this since they dug under Beach blvd (I forget how many years ago) to create the entrance to the east parking lot and Soak City.

^I'm guessing the neighbors whose houses are right next to the parking lots on the other side of the streets would not be too happy about that.

You mean it'll generate as much noise as Silver Bullet?

My B&M Hyper/Giga coaster idea would be to have it go next to Western Ave toward Crescent Drive. Give it a tunnel to help NIMBY's and Sand track to silence the ride

It would probably take away some employee parking lot but they could build a parking garage to replace some spots (If they're going to build a 20+ million dollar coaster, They can build a parking garage)

I also pick B&M as Intamin has been nothing but trouble for Cedar Fair (Shoot the Rapids, I305) while as B&M has been much more reliable (Behemoth, Leviathan, Gatekeeper, Banshee, Intimidator 232) and I don't see them going back to Intamin.

Another thing they could do is put a new coaster in the 3 hour parking spot. I know they need some of the space for actual due to the shops but they don't need even half the space for that. If they went with a big coaster have the station maybe by Ghostriders station and have a majority of the ride in the 3 hr parking site, or they could build a parking garage with the amount of 3 hour spaces and use the rest of the room for the coaster.

^^My parents' Ford Five Hundred is pretty reliable, too, but that doesn't mean I'd want to drive it all the time. Intamin is still responsible for the best rides in the Cedar Fair chain--I305, Millennium Force, Maverick, and Xcelerator. That being said, I don't think that a "giga," regardless of the manufacturer, is a good idea for Knott's, anyway.

Edited by cfc

^I'm guessing the neighbors whose houses are right next to the parking lots on the other side of the streets would not be too happy about that.

My B&M Hyper/Giga coaster idea would be to have it go next to Western Ave toward Crescent Drive. Give it a tunnel to help NIMBY's and Sand track to silence the ride

It would probably take away some employee parking lot but they could build a parking garage to replace some spots (If they're going to build a 20+ million dollar coaster, They can build a parking garage)

I also pick B&M as Intamin has been nothing but trouble for Cedar Fair (Shoot the Rapids, I305) while as B&M has been much more reliable (Behemoth, Leviathan, Gatekeeper, Banshee, Intimidator 232) and I don't see them going back to Intamin.

The only way for this to happen is if the whole ride was enclosed.

Plus, parking garages aren't cheap, they are really expensive.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a really intense Intamin mini-hyper than a B&M giga.

I was amazed at how quiet that ride is

The parking garage would cost more than the ride...they are surprisingly not cheap to build.

They could do a lot to mitigate the noise the ride and its passengers create, but there is nothing they can do about the incidental noise created: stuff like maintenance work, carts driving by, cleaning, etc. That's actually what the neighbors don't like---I have heard that the majority of the complaints currently come from the parking lots, due to guests and employees making noise and creating issues with the neighboring houses.

If they are going to expand into any parking lot, it would be the hotel lot.

I personally feel like the Giga coming to Knotts is slim to none. I just cant see it happening. I can see it coming to SFMM before it ever lands at Knotts.

I know Knott's cannot build over any of the streets that surround the park (except of course the offshoot of Beach Blvd that passes the entrance and Mrs, Knotts chicken dinner restaurant), but I have always wondered if they could get past the space issue for a huge ride if they tunneled the ride under one of the streets. Say they build the station in the park near to the park's border and have the train go through a tunnel to a lift hill and layout that mostly circles Soak City or one of their parking lots and then returns through the same tunnel and hits the brake run once back in the park proper.

I've wondered this since they dug under Beach blvd (I forget how many years ago) to create the entrance to the east parking lot and Soak City.

I have to say that I really like that idea! I never gave any thought to that. If KBF were to add a Giga, this would be the best approach, if it is possible and allowd.

KNOTT'S ANNOUNCES MAJOR PLANS FOR 2014

Buena Park, Calif. (November 2013) – Knott’s Berry Farm is proud to announce two major projects for 2014 that continue reinvestment in the park’s rich history and heritage. Camp Snoopy celebrates its 30th Anniversary with the revitalization of the entire land of High Sierra fun. The classic Calico Mine Ride, Knott’s first major attraction and theme park industry icon, will undergo an all-encompassing refurbishment complete with new state-of-the-art animatronic figures and enhanced scenery. Camp Snoopy’s area beautification and the revitalized Calico Mine Ride are slated to open early summer of 2014.

“Camp Snoopy and Calico Mine Ride have delighted guests for decades and are classics that families come back time and again to experience together” said Raffi Kaprelyan, Knott's Berry Farm’s vice president and general manager. “The revitalization of these areas will once again demonstrate our commitment to Knott’s heritage and will preserve these experiences for a new generation of guests to enjoy.”

Camp Snoopy, home of the beloved PEANUTS Gang, has welcomed the young and the young at heart since its grand opening on July 1, 1983. In honor of the land’s 30th anniversary, the High Sierra mountains camp theming will be enhanced throughout. Thirty years ago the five-acre nature wonderland was created by the Knott family to be a carefree place where nature, adventure and imagination come to life, and in 2014 it will undergo a number of exciting updates including new rides and restoration of the entire area with the original inspiration in mind.

Additionally in 2014, Knott’s beloved Calico Mine Ride will undergo complete refurbishment.

The Calico Mine Ride, Knott’s first major ride, opened in Ghost Town in November 1960 and was quickly recognized as one of the world’s most immersive “dark rides.” The beloved attraction designed by industry pioneer- Bud Hurlbut, carries riders aboard ore cars, on a realistic adventure through dimly lit tunnels of a working gold mine. The winding journey takes passengers to underground lakes, waterfalls, caverns filled with thousands of mysterious formations, chambers filled with steaming, bubbling pots and geysers. At several points in the trip, riders find themselves along the rim of a sixty five foot deep and ninety foot wide scene filled with dozens of animated miners trying to strike it rich.

The Calico Mine Train attraction stands 7 stories tall. Every year over 1 million guests take part in the eight minute journey. The mountain required over 275 tons of steel to complete and was the first attraction with a “hidden” themed queue that snakes upward to the loading station, out of sight of onlookers. The design preserves the impressive forced perspective of the mountain range, based on the sites in the authentic ghost town at Calico in California’s Mojave Desert.

In January 2014 the attraction will close for a comprehensive restoration by Knott’s Berry Farm’s design and production team. The project will be another partnership with Garner Holt Productions, Inc., (GHP) the team that brought award winning new enhancements to the Timber Mountain Log Ride in 2013 with lifelike animatronics and stunning show scenes.

“It is our company’s top priority to preserve and enhance the original story of a working gold mine deep in the heart of the Old West” said Garner Holt, GHP’s founder and president. “The Calico Mine Ride will be filled with lifelike sounds and motion, while maintaining the uniquely authentic feel of the attraction as designed by Knott’s and industry legend Bud Hurlbut.” The renovation of the iconic attraction includes the addition of over 50 new state-of-the-art animatronic figures, all new audio and theme lighting system, and special effects that will capture the imagination of would-be miners as they journey deep into the winding caverns of the attraction.

In 1954, Knott’s Berry Farm founder, Walter Knott, delivered an open letter to his employees in which he wrote “You know, we never fully enjoy the things we have until we share them with those we love.” Next summer, Knott’s invites the world to come back to Camp Snoopy and Ghost Town to enjoy these new adventures together.

Calico_Mine_Ride_Animatronic_Art_Rendering.thumb.jpg.1d83b7eb688bfdddaa956fdf5c67ebf9.jpg

Artist's rendering of one of the new Calico Mine Ride animatronics. Fire in the hole!

Edited by cfc

I remember a WCB tour of the mine ride a few years back, where it was mentioned that most of the animated figures in the ride were "original" equipment. I'm glad that Knott's is giving this classic ride some more attention.

I've always thought Camp Snoopy was a very nice-looking section, too.

^^I operated CMR for 3 years and I would literally watch the machinists fabricate parts to keep the original animatronics running. The park takes great pride in CMR and I can't wait to see what is in store for riders once it reopens.

Edited by DJeXeL

Well, this was Knott's worst-kept secret, but I'm excited to see this. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this as they did an amazing job with the Log Ride.

These additions sounds great! Im glad Camp Snoopy is getting some attention (I hope they plant a ton of trees, I loved it when there was a giant canopy of trees) And new rides too? I wonder what they will put in.

Knott's needs more trees, period. Just adding more trees around the park would really help restore the charm of the park. Even though most of the rides there aren't my speed, I'm looking forward to seeing a more thematically nice area.

This is great news! The remastered TMLR was absolutely fantastic when I rode it during WCB (and that backstage tour was amazing), and to see the park's other classic ride get some love makes me very happy. With Ouimet and Kaprelyan in and Kinzel out, Knott's seems to be really getting it's charm back, turning into a real "theme park" again. I'm definitely going to visit again, and I hope there is another WCB (backstage tour of remastered Calico would be orgasmic), as I had a great time during the Knott's day of the event (I know the Knott's day has always been the superior one).

What would make this wonderful renaissance complete would be a full RMC Topper Track (or even traditional, GCI, GG) makeover of GhostRider. Please? Pretty please? At least by December of 2018 (20th anniversary of the ride)? Pleeeeeaase?