TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Last year in Trapped my friend was chosen to eat a well seasoned cricket in one of the scenes (we later found out she apparently spit the cricket out! so this year if they have another eating scene, our entire group is going to force her to redeem herself ) . Ever if you are made to eat something, rest assured the build up is a lot worse than the actual edible thing. One of the other edible things was something along the lines of watery sour cream, just to sort of creep you out.

I'm very excited for Haunt this year! 12 days till I go!

I just pretended to eat a grasshopper in Trapped last year. Damn that guy with the beard in a dress in that room looked creepy.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to hit Mirror Mirror & Black Magic early even with Fright Lane.

Edited by downunder

Do you have to eat anything this year in trapped? I am going to Knotts haunt for the first time this year and that's a deal breaker!

So let me get this straight - You have to (or at least had to last year) to eat something in the maze (that you paid extra for) and if you don't eat it, they don't let you continue? From what they told us at WCB, if you didn't make it past one of the rooms, you couldn't move on to the next one.

I dunno, that seems a bit lame to me. I'm all for going to haunt mazes and see cool and unique sets, props, costumes, etc, but I'm not gonna eat something disgusting. Especially when the only thing I get out of it is going to another haunted house room??? Unless I'm understanding it wrong, that's not "innovative" or scary, IMO, that's just dumb.

--Robb "Deal breaker for me, too..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for the review. Checking it out next weekend, hopefully. Love the little opening bit with grabbing an audience member. That is a nice tough. Great pics! Helps with the plan of how to tackle the event.

I'm with Robb, there's no way I'm eating anything in a haunt maze. It really doesn't make sense as part of a maze, and it's certainly not innovative in any way. I get that they're not going to give you anything dangerous or anything, but still, this doesn't seem like the best idea.

dt

I'm in the same boat. I LOVE Haunt events, but I don't get the appeal in these "extreme" haunts like Trapped and Blackout where you have to do stuff like eat bugs, performers grab you, they put you in a coffin, etc. That just doesn't seem fun at all.

^I totally agree with you guys on this...I think it goes just a little too far.

I thought I had seen it all, though until I saw this:

"Naked and Scared Challenge: Shocktoberfest 'scream park' offers nude haunted house for fright-seekers

Patrick Konopelski, owner of Shocktoberfest, could not make his haunted house any bigger and louder, so he hopes to make the customers more vulnerable by having them go nude. He told the Daily News how the Discovery Channel's 'Naked and Afraid' inspired him and responds to critics who feel the attraction is immoral or dangerous.

Full article here.

Thankfully, as I suspected, this ended up not flying:

"Shocktoberfest cancels nude part of its ‘Naked and Scared’ haunted house challenge

The Pennsylvania ‘scream park’ will no longer allow guests to disrobe for the attraction following opposition from local officials."

Full article here.

I think this might have just been a huge publicity stunt...

As far as all the comments on eating something in Trapped...

The first year in Trapped one person in your group WAS expected to eat something. We got through without doing it though. If there's something you really, really, really don't want to do (or in our case, we were morally opposed to doing it... we're vegan) you can get around doing it. The point of the maze is to face your fears, but they won't force you if you keep resisting. Just interact with the characters, have fun, and if you spend too much time in a room they'll show you how to move on. Of course they'll pressure you and try to get you to face your fears, but at least in our experience you can always get through without saying "boysenberry," whether you do what they're requesting or not. For us, what makes Trapped so awesome is the amazing talent working the maze, and the extra time you get to spend with them. So enjoy it, whether you eat something or not! Interact with them, be scared of them ... but don't cross a line you don't want to cross, and don't say boysenberry!

And as far as people asking if you have to eat something this year... SORRY, I'm sworn to secrecy!

Edited by ILoveRides

Wow, it looks like you guys had an amazing time. Did you take advantage of Fright Lane & skeleton key? If so, were the extra rooms worth the additional cost?

We only got to do one of the skeleton key rooms, the one for Black Magic, and photos weren't allowed. We enjoyed it - but whether it's worth the extra cost or not is really up to you - it depends how much you value your money and how much you value having front of the line access with extra experiences. My impression of the Skeleton Key rooms is that they are a nice bonus, but not something that you'd be "missing out" if you didn't see them. They're just a nice reward for getting front of the line passes, as if cutting to the front of the line wasn't reward enough.

If you go on a Thursday or Sunday, the front of the line pass probably won't be needed. As David said, hit Mirror Mirror first! We got into the park around 7:45, jumped in that line first, and still had to wait 25-30 minutes with a minimal line.

I went on Sat night. Got into the park at 7:15 and we went through every maze except Mirror Mirror. That maze must have a really low capacity because every maze we did with the exception of Endgames (30 min wait) had a wait of 10 mins or less. By Midnight, according to the staff member holding the sign, Mirror Mirror was a 2 1/2 hour wait. Wish I had known, I would've hit that maze first.

Do you have to eat anything this year in trapped? I am going to Knotts haunt for the first time this year and that's a deal breaker!

So let me get this straight - You have to (or at least had to last year) to eat something in the maze (that you paid extra for) and if you don't eat it, they don't let you continue? From what they told us at WCB, if you didn't make it past one of the rooms, you couldn't move on to the next one.

I dunno, that seems a bit lame to me. I'm all for going to haunt mazes and see cool and unique sets, props, costumes, etc, but I'm not gonna eat something disgusting. Especially when the only thing I get out of it is going to another haunted house room??? Unless I'm understanding it wrong, that's not "innovative" or scary, IMO, that's just dumb.

--Robb "Deal breaker for me, too..." Alvey

Spoiler Alert!!!!!!

You do not have to eat anything in trapped

Went on Saturday as part of the MiceChat/ACE group. I know, Lord help me, lol! I just kept to myself and my friend, went more for the bargain than being social, so don't judge.

I liked the idea of the Skeleton Key rooms, but for me, the only one that really worked was for Black Magic. Dominion of the Dead was next (although the sound effect was LOUD, to the point of ringing our ears), followed by Gunslinger. That one was not particularly scary, but it set up the story well. Could have done without the ones at Slaughterhouse and Endgames (two mazes that have overstayed their welcome, IMO).

I enjoyed Mirror, Mirror, but think it could be a bit expended, even with that concept. I had sort of seen that trick before (they use it in the London Dungeon), so I wasn't as disoriented. But many clearly were. Go early in the night, but do also make sure it's dark... there's no roof, and it's better with the lighting. You can get on quickly if you have a Front of the Line pass.

Saw Elvira. Not bad, she's still got it! Looks exactly the same, and is still sharp as a whip. Just wish she were actually in the show longer. The dancers come out, she does about a 10 minute stand up act (which is actually quite funny and well delivered), then she goes off stage while a video of her in various parody movies plays. Some of those hit more than others, but the main thing is that the video seemed to go on for a long time. By the time she reappeared, she danced/lip synced one more song with the dancers, and the show was over! A bit short, but she was very entertaining.

I did do Trapped. I didn't do it last year, so this was my first time. I don't want to give away spoilers, so I won't describe too much. I will say it was fun, but not particularly scary or horrific. It's most just puzzles set in a dark atmosphere. Don't expect scares, just some creeps. The actors were great, but some puzzles hit more than others, and there was one that I still wasn't sure I understood or actually "solved" (the white room for one). Although I did get a great kick out of the vent room, though I also felt it was abrupt. And I will second that you don't have to eat anything.

I had only paid $10 bucks to do Trapped with the event. After reflection, I maybe would have paid $15-$20, but after that, I definitely felt I'd be overpaying. Even $20 is pushing it. So get a large group and split it, because $10 feels about right to m.

I've been to HHN at Universal for the last few years, as it is my home park. Hadn't been to Knott's Haunt in a while. But both my friend and I agreed... Knott's is way better than HHN this year. HHN mostly feels it's stuck in repeat mode. Knott's is continuing to improve and try new things.

I too went to MiceChat's Haunt event and had a ton of fun. The last time I went to Knott's Haunt was in 07 and I can tell you that this Haunt was much better than I remember the 07 one being. Most of the mazes seemed to be a much higher quality than what I remembered them being and I really loved some of the climactic scenes in the attractions, Pinocchio Unstrung and Black Magic both take the honors in the most impressive final room. I also really loved how much they stayed away from certain overused horror genres, there were only a few zombies and only one maze that did the whole gore fest thing (Uncle Willy's Slaughter House). I'm not one for splatter films and prefer supernatural horror to slasher films so It was great to see that even if some of the mazes weren't supernatural, all but one took their theme in unique directions.

I also did Trapped and enjoyed it for what it was, but it was definitely the least scarey of all the attractions. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation because everything else about it like the sets and the actors were top notch. I feel once they figure out what really works and what doesn't on the puzzle front in a few years it could really become a great attraction. As it is some puzzles were immediately obvious, and others like the white padded room were beyond obtuse and I think we only got past that one because they needed to keep guest moving through.

Here is how I would rank the normal mazes

1. Black Magic

2. Trick or Treat (would have been number one, but it ended too soon.)

3. Forevermore

4. Delirium

5. Gunslingers Grave (It had the most cohesive story, but needs to work on the scares and enlarge the climactic scene's room to really compliment the evil horse animatronic)

6. Dominion of the Damned (I'm not one for vampires, but the look of the maze was very polished with great attention to detail)

7. Pinocchio Unstrung (cool concept and great final scene, but as I walked through I got no real sense of it having any sort of story progression)

8. Endgames (aka lets all line up to fight the Rock Biter from Neverending story!)

9. Mirror, Mirror (no story at all, I was expecting more judging by how long the line was for it)

10. Uncle Willy's Slaughter House (Just because I found the maze's whole concept the most unoriginal and I just dislike mazes that rely all on gore for their scares)

I hope to make it out to Knotts again before this year's haunt is over to see the shows I missed and also check out what might be the last Calico Mine Ride haunt makeover.