TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

What.... I had plans to go to knotts tomorrow, already have our tickets. My friend is down till next Thursday. Is there practically no chance that the ride will be open by then? Last time the cable snapped, it took them a very long time get it running again. Ugh.. This sucks... That's the best ride there by far too. -_-

^ Its possible.

Not the first time Xcelerator or any Intamin rocket coaster cable has snapped. After the 2009 accident, the cable snapped again, but they got the ride back up and running pretty quickly.

Also, I think the fact that none of the local media has picked up on the incident (yet) is a good thing.

I had plans to go to Knotts tomorrow to get a few night rides on Xcelerator...ha, so much for that.

If there were no injuries, track, brake fin or catch car damage, then a cable can be replaced overnight by 3 mechanics. The park keeps a spare on hand at all times.

According to Nyteowl there was an injury so severity of said injury will determine how long it will be until XC reopens.

This sucks...a lot. Hopefully it will be running for WCB but I kind of have doubts as we are just a month away (We shall see...hoping for the best, expecting the worst...will save me from disappointment). Glad I have the credit but I highly anticipated riding my #1 steelie...darn Intamin Cables...

From what I've heard and seen so far, it seems like the track and brake fins are undamaged as far as I can tell. My manager told me the purple train did suffer some damage so it'll likely be down for a while. Hoping for the best for all of you attending WCB.

I was working in the Lazer Zone when the Xcelerator cable snapped, and word about it spread pretty quickly throughout the park. When I walked past the station today there was a pulley system setup to take out the cable. One train was on the transfer track and the other on the brake run. I can't really tell how fast they will get it up and running, I'm hoping very soon though.

Here are some pictures I got today around the park including some Haunt construction.

IMG_2125.thumb.JPG.c543f7a373fcf0fb1086f4631d4bf185.JPG

Windseeker's Evac System has been moved back to the ride to make room for the Gunslinger maze

IMG_2127.thumb.JPG.1aeed65a2cd791ab61db3f75e0f63afd.JPG

The beginning stages of building the Gunslinger maze

IMG_2130.thumb.JPG.a388bdabe1bf6a9f1c5f31a178073cc0.JPG

IMG_2131.thumb.JPG.4f7e01bd990e20bc5bb9fd1104441158.JPG

IMG_2128.thumb.JPG.a4f59305eb6c5922151e91178ba43cd0.JPG

The park recently added some Boysenberry plants under Silver Bullet

IMG_2132.thumb.PNG.d6034351d258c66bf607f64313b45662.PNG

Progress on the Houdini maze

I wonder if this will turn out like the SFMM thread, with 3 pages of discussion about how KBF should have bought 3rd train for Xcelerator?

Or, like the SFMM thread with dozens of pages talking about their restrooms

But yea, hopefully Xcelerator will be back up and running, even if it's running 1 train.

I wonder if this will turn out like the SFMM thread, with 3 pages of discussion about how KBF should have bought 3rd train for Xcelerator?

But yea, hopefully Xcelerator will be back up and running, even if it's running 1 train.

Knotts did buy a 3rd train for Xcel its the red train lol.

I was standing by Perilous Plunge when the cable snapped in 2009, have some disturbing pics of the radical damage to the front of the train, distressed father/son etc. It might be irrational fear, but nobody in my family would ever ride in or even near the front again after witnessing that.

I rode the front once (which was completely mind-blowing BTW) on my April trip...but I'm not going to lie...I was a bit nervous and hoping for the best when launch happened. With that said, these cables seem to be a ticking time bomb. I will still ride the front however...should be more relaxed riding the front with a fresh new cable

Now, aren't these cables replaced annually (or supposed to be anyway)? Anyone know if this cable was over or nearing its end of lifetime?

I was standing by Perilous Plunge when the cable snapped in 2009, have some disturbing pics of the radical damage to the front of the train, distressed father/son etc. It might be irrational fear, but nobody in my family would ever ride in or even near the front again after witnessing that.

Would be interesting to see those posted. Though we all saw the youtube video, Knott's was pretty quick about clearing the area and limiting what was seen afterwards.

Would be interesting to see those posted. Though we all saw the youtube video, Knott's was pretty quick about clearing the area and limiting what was seen afterwards.

2009 accident:

WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF A CUT UP LEG:

http://ride-guide.co.uk/videos/665

Knotts did buy a 3rd train for Xcel its the red train lol.

That's not correct. Knotts did buy a new front car chassis after the 09 accident for the red train (AKA yellow train).