TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I don't think a giga coaster is going to happen at Knott's unless they have it leave the park and go across the street through the parking lot and back, but that's not likely to happen. I feel an Intamin Megalite or Aquatrax, Eurofighter, or even a B&M Dive Machine would fit Knott's better for their next thrill coaster in 2-3 years as none of these types of rides are on the West Coast and would be unique to Knott's. A Maverick type of coaster would be a great addition to Knott's and they could even theme it to the Wild West, they just have to figure out where to put it.

I don't really understand why removing Jaguar! seems to be very popular idea here. The ride isn't even 20 years old, it still is popular, and it really doesn't take up much room as most of the coaster weaves around other rides.

^If Jaguar is replaced I imagine another family coaster would go in its place. Too bad they already have Pony Express because an Intamin motocoaster would be perfect for that spot.

Thats my whole point. Almost half of their rides are family coasters. Im saying why not remove the least popular/least fun one (Jaguar) and add a better ride? For family they have Timberline Twister, Coast Rider, Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder and not to mention Montezzomas is a pretty good ride for a starter (going from kiddie to bigger coasters). I dont think its enough room for a giga (nor did I say they should add one), but I think its enough room for maybe a Wing Rider or as others said a Euro Fighter. Even if they did that they'd still have 4 family coasters and 6 bigger coasters (5 if you count Montezomas in the middle). That's still a 40% ratio of family coasters which is still VERY generous (right now they're at 50%).

^If Jaguar is replaced I imagine another family coaster would go in its place. Too bad they already have Pony Express because an Intamin motocoaster would be perfect for that spot.

Thats my whole point. Almost half of their rides are family coasters. Im saying why not remove the least popular/least fun one (Jaguar) and add a better ride? For family they have Timberline Twister, Coast Rider, Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder and not to mention Montezzomas is a pretty good ride for a starter (going from kiddie to bigger coasters). I dont think its enough room for a giga (nor did I say they should add one), but I think its enough room for maybe a Wing Rider or as others said a Euro Fighter. Even if they did that they'd still have 4 family coasters and 6 bigger coasters (5 if you count Montezomas in the middle). That's still a 40% ratio of family coasters which is still VERY generous (right now they're at 50%).

Montezooma's Revenge is a very intense coaster, so I don't see it fitting as a family coaster at all.

Also, I see no problem with all the family coasters since they are very popular and Knott's is a very family-friendly amusement park. Walk down Fiesta Village and Camp Snoopy and you will see the areas filled with long lines of children for the mildest rides. Just because the family coasters aren't the best rides or the most intense rides in the park doesn't mean they should be torn down.

lol, back to the "Knott's needs to have more big coasters like SFMM" circle in disguise. I think Knott's is a great family park and should keep it that way. If they aim to build attractions the whole family can enjoy, there is nothing wrong with that. I love the atmosphere at Knott's and I really don't want big rides ruining that. That's what SFMM is for!

Refurbishing the Mine Ride and building a new Dark Ride seems like the right thing to do.

I believe Cedar Fair understands this from what I've read on this forum.

Agreed, I would like to see another dark ride for the park. They don't need to add another big coaster.

How I look at the park, it is a thrill park. I'm not complaining that they added Coast Rider this year in fact the area IMO is VERY nice, BUT what I'm getting at is why continue adding family rides ALL the time? The last five additions (3 in the new boardwalk, Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder) were all family (six if you count the refuirbishment of the log ride). Also Disneyland is up the st and regardless familes will go there over Knotts no matter how well of a job Knotts trys to add dark rides ETC. Knotts should add a coaster next (I'm not saying giga, but something like a Euro fighter or even a wing rider) before they add yet another family ride. Add the coaster, than do the dark ride/refurb on Calico. The issue is they may get some more familes to check it out (I get it family equals more money per visit BUT they're more likely to go less) but they're losing the adult crowd if they dont start balancing it out. The last big coaster was 9 years ago (Silver Bullet) I think it's fair to say its time for a decent coaster.

They can always re-work the Mystery lodge area. If anything, a large coaster that starts in that area using Mystery Lodge as the queque. Even something like a longer version of The Mummy would be great, and avoid the neighbor/hotel noise issues. When you walk back there past Ghostrider for Haunt, it is quite a bit of space.

^^Because they are a business. Why would they change their business model if it is working? Your point about Disney is also off base---tourists will most definitely prefer Disney, but guess what? Turns out a lot of people live in southern california. And those people are currently being priced out of their Disney passes. They need somewhere to take their family. Hence the reason Knott's is pushing their cheaper annual passes and family rides.

^^Because they are a business. Why would they change their business model if it is working? Your point about Disney is also off base---tourists will most definitely prefer Disney, but guess what? Turns out a lot of people live in southern california. And those people are currently being priced out of their Disney passes. They need somewhere to take their family. Hence the reason Knott's is pushing their cheaper annual passes and family rides.

I dont have the numbers to show its working or not (are the crowds more, making more money ETC), but hypethitically if this is working for them all I am saying is they have plenty of family attractions to take a break for a year on adding yet another family attraction (all while families would still come cause they currently have a lot). I agree and you're right on the pricing of Disney vs Knotts, but I'd think a group of adult friends go more often than familes per year (as I said I know per visit familes spend more as far as a business standpoint). I'm not here saying add the biggest giga or what not, heck even if in 2014 they do the dark ride and Calico at least in 2015 I think its MORE than fair to ask for a decent coaster. At that time it'll be 11 years since a big coaster was added and if 2014 they do add the dark/re do Calico ride that makes their last 6 additions family attractions (8 if you count the refurb to Log Ride and Calico). I dont think its a dumb move (nor do I think its asking for much at all) if 1/9 latest attractions is a decent coaster (Euro Fighter, Wing Rider heck even a ride like Helix would look very good at the park maybe a decent flat too.) Also if they keep Jaguar that's 5 family coasters (plus Camp Snoopy/Boardwalk kid flats and the rumored dark ride) and 6 coasters (if they add one) which puts them at a 45% ratio of family coasters which is more than generous for a thrill park.

^While I suspect a bigger ride may still be in the park, I don't think Cedar Fair wants KBF known as a thrill park. They tried it, and it just didn't work. Their core identity is being a nice family park with a little something extra for thrill seekers.

In other news:

Knott's Scary Farm Halloween Haunt 2013 Update:

Wednesday July 10, 2013

7:00 PM Charles M. Schulz Theatre

Knott's Berry Farm

Season Passholders are invited to a special HAUNT 2013 PREVIEW featuring the Haunt Designers, Haunt Facebook Guy (Me!) and more! Everything for Haunt 2013 will be revealed!

Season Passholders must have a wristband to gain entrance. Wristbands will be given out on a first come/first serve basis beginning at 10:00 AM on July 10th at the Haunt Museum. When they're gone, they're gone! A strictly limited number will be available!

Don't miss out on your chance to see what lies ahead in the fog...

And the internet explodes in 3...2...1....GO!

Totally agree with Joey and Wes. Families have money, and Knott's has been doing well targeting them again. As for expansions or new rides, I'd love to see Pony Express be extended. It's a unique ride, but way too short. However, I would love another dark ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case any one is going to the park soon, Monte went back up today. I didn't get to see all the detail, but I went up there to talk to my manager and they redid the station floor, airgates, and exit stairs which all look really nice! It looks like they redid the lights on the circles, but I can't confirm it. I'll have to find out tomorrow everything they did.

Just in case any one is going to the park soon, Monte went back up today. I didn't get to see all the detail, but I went up there to talk to my manager and they redid the station floor, airgates, and exit stairs which all look really nice! It looks like they redid the lights on the circles, but I can't confirm it. I'll have to find out tomorrow everything they did.

All this, plus it looks like they brought in a new train. Seats, lap bars, paint, etc. on it was all fresh. The old one can be seen disassembled in the Xcelerator queue/storage area.