TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Since we are on the topic of ride re refreshing,

Some concept art for the Calico Mine Ride re fresh can be found here.

Here's another one. http://blog.pe.com/2013/06/14/knotts-berry-farm-garner-holt-shares-log-ride-experiences/

There's an article mentioned that there are two other projects planned for SoCal. The link that shows all of the art for their different projects also shows what could be the new dark ride for Knott's. Look at Echos Across Time. Where do you think that could go?

^^Not in the former Kingdom of the Dinosaur building. That was torn up to make way for Johnny Rockets Ventilation. I suppose they could use what's left of it and annex the arcade for a new dark ride building...

^^Not in the former Kingdom of the Dinosaur building. That was torn up to make way for Johnny Rockets Ventilation. I suppose they could use what's left of it and annex the arcade for a new dark ride building...

They could always expand the building. That's the only possible way I can see them fitting in a dark ride. They could add on to it by the the scrambler and where the bumper cars is. They could also move Johnny Rockets to where Coasters is to make room.

Since we are on the topic of ride re refreshing,

Some concept art for the Calico Mine Ride re fresh can be found here.

Those sketches are actually from the late 90's when Garner Holt was brought in to do touch up work on the attraction. They are not recent.

That's when they added the figure who says: "There's Blastin' ahead!"

^It's been awhile (probably too long, actually) since I have been on the ride. Did all the things in the sketches become reality? If not, I'm guessing they'll be pulling them out of the archives real soon.

I'm glad Knott's refurbished one of their classic rides, the original Splash Mountain. The new rides also make more sense than Perilous Plunge, which was a one-trick pony. They may not be the most exciting rides, but I'm glad they managed to fit three rides including a coaster into Perilous Plunge's spot. Now I hope they start refurbishing other rides like Ghostrider and Calico Mine Ride, and adding combos to Supreme Scream. Then hopefully, Knott's can add a major coaster that is unique to California, like a Dive Machine, Euro Fighter, or Aquatrax.

On a another note, I noticed Coke products in the Media Day photos. When did Knott's switch back to Coke? Is that happening for all Cedar Fair parks or just Knott's?

^ All Cedar Fair parks switched to Coke this year.

Wow, that's news to me. I knew that the former Paramount Parks (like CGA) had Coke but I thought they would eventually switch to Pepsi, not the other way around. I guess I haven't been paying too much attention to Cedar Fair press releases this year. That's a major loss for Pepsi, the only major Theme Park account they still have is Sea World/Busch Gardens I think and some smaller independent parks. As long as Knott's keeps its Boysenberry Punch though, that's all that really matters to me.

Wow, that's news to me. I knew that the former Paramount Parks (like CGA) had Coke but I thought they would eventually switch to Pepsi, not the other way around. I guess I haven't been paying too much attention to Cedar Fair press releases this year. That's a major loss for Pepsi, the only major Theme Park account they still have is Sea World/Busch Gardens I think and some smaller independent parks. As long as Knott's keeps its Boysenberry Punch though, that's all that really matters to me.

Pepsi lost Sea World Parks too...haha.

Pepsi lost Sea World Parks too...haha.

I just found this out today that Pepsi lost Sea World parks in 2012. I guess I haven't been paying attention to the soda contracts. I know Disney will always have Coke, and Six Flags has had Coke for as long as I know so I doubt they will switch, so that just leaves Universal which has had Pepsi in the past but has had Coke for quite awhile now as potential Pepsi contract in the future. What a big blow for Pepsi to lose both Sea World and Cedar Fair two years in a row. Is there any major US parks left that have Pepsi? Or just smaller indie parks like Holiday World and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk?

^It's been awhile (probably too long, actually) since I have been on the ride. Did all the things in the sketches become reality? If not, I'm guessing they'll be pulling them out of the archives real soon.

I believe in the end the only chances that were made were slight, aside from the addition of the "blastin'" figure. In an interview with Season Pass Podcast Garner Holt actually talks about how they want to do a lot more but weren't able to at the time because of the limited budget.

I would also guess that the artwork and conceptual drawings are once again being brought out.

I've been trying to find out more info on Windseeker, but no one I talk to seems to really know what's going on. I walk by it everyday to see if any maintenance people are working on it, but they seem to be busy with Monte and it's refurbishment. If I find out anything, I'll let you guys know .

I'm assuming nothing new in 2014 due to the Boardwalk this year. Any guesses or ideas on what will come next to the park (I'd guess 2015)? I still want to know why there were markings all around the park about two years ago.

I know theres issues with land, but I was thinking. All their family rides are pretty new (heck even fun) but one that's not so fun (in fact quite boring) is Jaguar. Now Jaguar has been there for 18 years (will be 20 in 2015) and takes up a decent amount of room. I could see the park using that room and adding something (I don't think its enough room for a giga/hyper per say) but I think something a lot better could replace it. Any thoughts, ideas or anything new being said?

^I've heard that the next three projects for Knott's will be a complete refurbishment of the Calico Mine Ride, a new dark ride, and a major new coaster. I don't know any more than that, such as when each will be done or what order everything will happen, but I would guess that the only one that might be for 2014 would be the mine ride refurbishment. Also, I'm guessing Timberline Twister and Boomerang will both recieve replacements before Jaguar leaves the park, as although Jaguar is a fairly long coaster it actually doesn't take up very much usable space.

More Haunt goodness. Endgames is coming back.

The world as we know it has ended. The survivors in this barren desert have scavenged to rebuild society. Few are safe. The rich and powerful have turned all others into slaves for sport. Enter the post apocalyptic arena where the gladiators are forced to battle to their deaths for entertainment...and the games will be televised.

Endgames returns with all new scares. Look for a new path of destruction and unseen horrors.

Hoping this one is a bit better than last year, has so much potential.

"I know theres issues with land, but I was thinking. All their family rides are pretty new (heck even fun) but one that's not so fun (in fact quite boring) is Jaguar. Now Jaguar has been there for 18 years (will be 20 in 2015) and takes up a decent amount of room. I could see the park using that room and adding something (I don't think its enough room for a giga/hyper per say) but I think something a lot better could replace it. Any thoughts, ideas or anything new being said?"

A customized Euro-Fighter would fit nicely in Jaguar's footprint, with some modifications. I know it would be sacrilegious, but I'd like to see what could be done to make the Calico Mine Ride a little thrilling, something along the lines of Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach.

I kinda don't want to see another major coaster at Knott's. As much as I want a Giga over here on the West Coast, Knott's is not the park for that sort of ride. I could see a new dark ride going over there.

Here's a wild idea: How about retheming Fiesta Village to a Berry Farm theme? They could bring back Knott's Bear-y Tales over there and put it where Jaguar is. Then we could have TWO dark rides in the park.