TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I was dragged onto Sky Jump a couple times when I was a kid, and I never liked it at all. It wasn't the heights, as I always enjoyed the Sky Cabin, but just standing in the little basket and falling at a high speed. I wonder what I'd think of the ride if it were still around...I'd probably find it boring now with Supreme Scream next door.

Thanks. I did not realize that Sky Cabin and the Sky Drop were on the same tower. Why did they take it out, just wondering.

Also, great image of the original Corkscrew entrance.

There were a couple reasons that float around about the Sky Jump's closure. The simplest is the fact that the technology of that ride was behind the times, and it would have cost way too much money to actually update the system to be fully computer controlled. Just like the Haunted Shack, they measured the cost of fixing it vs. the cost of just taking it out.

We know which one won out.

As for the other reason, there has always been a strong rumor that the ride closed due to a man committing suicide from the top because his girlfriend had recently broke up with him. I don't know how much that might have lead directly to them shutting it down, but as a park manager, I'd probably look at that, then look at making the system more modern and more dummy proof. And then weigh the above options

I think Timber Mountain Log Ride re-opened this morning. Has anyone heard anything regarding the improvements? This ride was my absolute favorite but I haven't ridden since 1988, and I'm visiting this summer. I'm very exited to hear the reviews of the refurbishment!

I think Timber Mountain Log Ride re-opened this morning. Has anyone heard anything regarding the improvements? This ride was my absolute favorite but I haven't ridden since 1988, and I'm visiting this summer. I'm very exited to hear the reviews of the refurbishment!

From what I'm reading on Twitter, the log ride hasn't opened yet today, and is experiencing delays.

Seeing as this was the state of the ride on Monday when I took the video, as well as all the logs still being in a shed next to Xcelerator, this doesn't surprise me.

^

Here's the video of them craning in some of the final props:

They finished this up around 30 minutes after the park opened. There were staff standing by to prevent people from passing as the props were lifted into place and the crane was taken back across the street. They must really be in a time crunch if they were doing stuff during park hours and on Memorial Day.

Not going to lie - the first time I heard the lift motor rev up I legitimately thought that a woman nearby was screaming.

Just got home from the park, as of 230 the log ride wasn't open yet but they are trying there hardest to get it open sometime today.

They didn't get it open today.

To their credit, the park tried really hard to get the Log Ride open on the media day, but it just didn't work out. It did open today though, and everyone I've talked to who has been inside says it's really great. I'll be back at the park this weekend to get coverage of it, so expect a full report on all the new additions (Boardwalk and Log Ride) in the coming days!

So with all the talk about the Boardwalk expansion and the TMLR, does anyone have any news about Windseeker?

Screamscape: (5/6/13) Windseeker is still closed at Knott’s Berry Farm this week… while the other Windseekers around the continent have opened up except for Cedar Point which is expected to open with the park’s season next weekend.

The delay at Knott’s is said to be in part because of state inspections and possibly a live rescue drill is expected to be required before Knott’s reopens the ride. In short, they’ve got to schedule all the players have to be in place at one time so Knott’s can show off the rescue platform in action which is taking longer than expected. So why is this taking so long? Mostly because Knott’s has bigger fish to fry right now. The majority of the park staff required to get Windseeker checked off has their hands full finishing up the Log Ride refurbishment as well as opening up the park’s three new 2013 rides. Once these issues are taken care of, then they’ll focus some attention back on Windseeker.